Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Useless Mods? Not Anymore.

Sophronius

I'm not sure if this has ever been suggested, assuming not then allow me.

I will try to keep this short.

There are a number of decent mods in Warframe. There are some however that are never used because they do not take precedence over a small list of much needed mods.

Most needed mods are commonly: Redirection, Vitality, Focus, Constitution, Continuity, Vigor, and so on.

There are only 6 non ability slots to put these mods. Other utility mods never fit in to a build because there is no room for them.

Here is the problem of adding more mod slots overall; it could create a kind of extreme imbalance or OP nature to a Warframe. It could manifest builds that are so ridiculous that the game becomes no longer enjoyable. The challenge of creating a unique and yet viable build without, for example easily making it "GodMode," is what would keep us interested in having more mods.

How to solve this problem?

I propose that each and every Warframe has either 4 or 6 slots for only one kind of polarity. We will call it, X polarity.

X polarity slots cannot be forma'd. This means that you cannot either create new X polarity slots nor can you modify the polarity of existing X slots.

Mods such as Reflex Guard and Reflection would be X polarity. They are more like utilities, not essentials. This is why almost no one ever uses them.

This will add more options for the player and the developers, a win/win solution.

The only flaw I see here, is that it would require a lot more mod capacity(Max, is currently 74). A way I see to bypass this is to promote the use of Forma, but re-leveling an item is not desirable by many, like me.

Good point. Perhaps we could have the X polarity mods either have a naturally very lost cost or no cost at all?

I really like this idea as well:

As a corollary idea, (and to refrain from changing any mod polarities) just add in an additional 4 slots to every warframe that are non-polarized (and not polarizable) -- However, when slotted reduce the mod cost of anything in them by 2 points. (not half, just 2) that would give you 8 additional slots in the build. (for a total of 82) -- Additionally, only allow these slots to be used by warframes @ level 30 and only when all other slots have been filled already.

This would require players to be careful both in their primary build allotments as well as what they're putting into the... let's call it, "mastery" slots. 

This allows utility without even the possibility of becoming overpowered. It gives functionality but sacrifices maximizing your primary slots so you have enough reserve points to use them effectively.

just my 2c.

Any good additional suggestions? Think this is a bad idea or have a better one? Why? Let me know.

Edited by Sophronius

The only flaw I see here, is that it would require a lot more mod capacity(Max, is currently 74). A way I see to bypass this is to promote the use of Forma, but re-leveling an item is not desirable by many, like me.

Good point. Perhaps either the X polarity mods have a naturally very low cost or none at all?

what you're advocating (as far as i can tell, and correct me if i'm wrong) is that these X polarity slots would require specific mods that also have X polarity? if so, you're creating a "lower caste" type of mod polarity. which mods would you alter to fall into this category? And how many?

As a corollary idea, (and to refrain from changing any mod polarities) just add in an additional 4 slots to every warframe that are non-polarized (and not polarizable) -- However, when slotted reduce the mod cost of anything in them by 2 points. (not half, just 2) that would give you 8 additional slots in the build. (for a total of 82) -- Additionally, only allow these slots to be used by warframes @ level 30 and only when all other slots have been filled already.

This would require players to be careful both in their primary build allotments as well as what they're putting into the... let's call it, "mastery" slots. 

This allows utility without even the possibility of becoming overpowered. It gives functionality but sacrifices maximizing your primary slots so you have enough reserve points to use them effectively.

just my 2c.

There are a number of decent mods in Warframe. There are some however that are never used because they do not take precedence over a small list of much needed mods.

Most needed mods are commonly: Redirection, Vitality, Focus, Constitution, Continuity, Vigor, and so on.

There are only 6 non ability slots to put these mods. Other utility mods never fit in to a build because there is no room for them.

Creating your own problem IMO. If you insist on being a buffer tanked mage at all times while using four abilities then yeah... you're going to be low on mods... that's not the game making them take precedence that's you making them take precedence. Giving you more slots so you can be a buffer tanked mage with four skills AND neat utility mods would just be power creep.

Example:

If you're using duration and focus and four ability slots you must be using abilities often. Drop the Continuity and Redirection mods for equilibrium. Use up your power casting the abilities more often due to lower duration and then while looting power globes you will also continually refill your health, and you'll get power help when you find health globes. This frees up a slot and creates gameplay, but can also up difficulty since your buffer went down.

A couple ideas:

- instead of X polarity slots, make Utilities their own kind of slot, like how the Aura slot is separate from the other mod slots.

- Utility mods placed into a Utility slot would not cost or confer any mod points.

- the maximum number of Utility slots you can use at one time are increased via Mastery Rank. You would get 1 Utility Slot every 2 Mastery Ranks (so a player at Mastery Rank 8 would have 4 Utility Slots).

- all warframes gain access to (unlock) utility slots every 5 levels (that is, levels 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30; this means a maximum of 6 utility slots).

I prefer this method because:

1. No wasting mod points

2. No wasting mod space

3. Incentive to increase Mastery Rank

4. Incentive to increase warframe level (look forward to leveling up)

5. Natural cap on how many utilities you can use

6. Promotes player choice/customization (since all utility mods are considered 'equal' to a utility slot, players are free to use whatever utility mods they want to)

Creating your own problem IMO. If you insist on being a buffer tanked mage at all times while using four abilities then yeah... you're going to be low on mods... that's not the game making them take precedence that's you making them take precedence. Giving you more slots so you can be a buffer tanked mage with four skills AND neat utility mods would just be power creep.

Example:

If you're using duration and focus and four ability slots you must be using abilities often. Drop the Continuity and Redirection mods for equilibrium. Use up your power casting the abilities more often due to lower duration and then while looting power globes you will also continually refill your health, and you'll get power help when you find health globes. This frees up a slot and creates gameplay, but can also up difficulty since your buffer went down.

the only problem with your example is that equilibrium doesn't work if your associated value is already full.

i.e. no extra power from health orbs if your health is full, and no extra health from energy orbs if your energy is full.

this greatly reduces the functionality of equilibrium. (and the primary reason i don't use it)

A couple ideas:

- instead of X polarity slots, make Utilities their own kind of slot, like how the Aura slot is separate from the other mod slots.

- Utility mods placed into a Utility slot would not cost or confer any mod points.

- the maximum number of Utility slots you can use at one time are increased via Mastery Rank. You would get 1 Utility Slot every 2 Mastery Ranks (so a player at Mastery Rank 8 would have 4 Utility Slots).

- all warframes gain access to (unlock) utility slots every 5 levels (that is, levels 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30; this means a maximum of 6 utility slots).

I prefer this method because:

1. No wasting mod points

2. No wasting mod space

3. Incentive to increase Mastery Rank

4. Incentive to increase warframe level (look forward to leveling up)

5. Natural cap on how many utilities you can use

6. Promotes player choice/customization (since all utility mods are considered 'equal' to a utility slot, players are free to use whatever utility mods they want to)

maybe it's because i'm sleepy, but this seems to hint at the same issue i have with the OP's posting.

you're creating a sub-category of mods that would be differentiated from current mods.

thereby limiting build functionality. (and imo, reducing player choice)

but i might also be misunderstanding what you're getting at. 

that said, i very much like the idea of adding slots based on mastery. (and imo, doing this alone would solve this issue without any other changes)

the only problem with your example is that equilibrium doesn't work if your associated value is already full.

i.e. no extra power from health orbs if your health is full, and no extra health from energy orbs if your energy is full.

this greatly reduces the functionality of equilibrium. (and the primary reason i don't use it)

Which is why it synergizes with removing shield and duration mods.

Which is why it synergizes with removing shield and duration mods.

granted, and greatly increases risk. arguably without enough reward.

but that's very much a player skill issue.

i find myself using equilibrium on nekros almost all the time however.

a) he's squishy, and b) he never lacks for access to any and all orbs.