The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Add a homing mechanic to Railjack - an Early Player QOL feature

To improve early (and veteran) player experience, having a "come here" homing mechanic that could be activated while in Archwing which would "instantly" bring the Railjack to the player.  This would shave off the tedium of limping back after a slingshot excursion or after boarding multiple crew ships.  While I suspect that this might be a very minor annoyance, there is another benefit to this change in flight mechanics of the railjack, so read on.

By instantaneous, I mean <1 sec.  For those who are sticklers for game mechanics must be lore-consistent, this "jump" effect of the railjack could be an on-board mini-rail generator, good for short (<50 km) distances.

By extension, this "jump" mechanic is similar to the effect on the Itzal archwing, but greater due to a presumptively larger power source.  For that matter, this effect could be used in dog-fights as well.

Thoughts?

ADDENDUM:  Forgot to mention the similarity to RAILJACK BLINK mechanic and near identity with RECALL WARP effect.  The proposed alternation was intended to be available immediately upon acquisition of the railjack (BLINK requires lvl 10 while WARP only lvl 4).  That, is "homing" would not be NOT linked to upgrading via Intrinsics, which despite there being some nice QOL payoffs with other vehicles (archwing, necramech), there is a general malaise within the community for the railjack.

Edited by ElHefe
Updated considerations
  • Like 1

It might be a better idea to add a mechanic for the Archwing to teleport to the Railjack, instead of teleporting the Railjack to the Archwing. It's a mode dedicated to multiplayer if I remember right, and teleporting the whole ship while they're trying to shoot at things and move around might ruin things.

...Meanwhile, I haven't really done much Railjack myself. Only the quests like Tempestarii and New War that require it.

1 hour ago, (NSW)MasterMewtwoIwantNeeko said:

It might be a better idea to add a mechanic for the Archwing to teleport to the Railjack, instead of teleporting the Railjack to the Archwing. It's a mode dedicated to multiplayer if I remember right, and teleporting the whole ship while they're trying to shoot at things and move around might ruin things.

...Meanwhile, I haven't really done much Railjack myself. Only the quests like Tempestarii and New War that require it.

I will not even try to guess if this is Ironic or not, but this actually already exists. If you level up the tactical intrinsic to level 4 you get the ability "recall warp" which means you can use the omni tool in the gear wheel to teleport back to the railjack from anywhere. (you use your gear wheel and select the omni tool, this will take you back to the railjack after a brief moment)

@ElHefe This can also help you.

9 hours ago, 3xt1inct said:

I will not even try to guess if this is Ironic or not, but this actually already exists. If you level up the tactical intrinsic to level 4 you get the ability "recall warp" which means you can use the omni tool in the gear wheel to teleport back to the railjack from anywhere. (you use your gear wheel and select the omni tool, this will take you back to the railjack after a brief moment)

@ElHefe This can also help you.

That's probably problem solved then. My own Intrinsics were like, 3 or maybe 4, maybe I'll upgrade to that when I decide to go for 100% completion.

14 hours ago, ElHefe said:

To improve early (and veteran) player experience, having a "come here" homing mechanic that could be activated while in Archwing which would "instantly" bring the Railjack to the player.  This would shave off the tedium of limping back after a slingshot excursion or after boarding multiple crew ships.  While I suspect that this might be a very minor annoyance, there is another benefit to this change in flight mechanics of the railjack, so read on.

By instantaneous, I mean <1 sec.  For those who are sticklers for game mechanics must be lore-consistent, this "jump" effect of the railjack could be an on-board mini-rail generator, good for short (<50 km) distances.

By extension, this "jump" mechanic is similar to the effect on the Itzal archwing, but greater due to a presumptively larger power source.  For that matter, this effect could be used in dog-fights as well.

Thoughts?

ADDENDUM:  Forgot to mention the similarity to RAILJACK BLINK mechanic and near identity with RECALL WARP effect.  The proposed alternation was intended to be available immediately upon acquisition of the railjack (BLINK requires lvl 10 while WARP only lvl 4).  That, is "homing" would not be NOT linked to upgrading via Intrinsics, which despite there being some nice QOL payoffs with other vehicles (archwing, necramech), there is a general malaise within the community for the railjack.

so you think teaching a player a mechanic at the beginning of railjack (dropping even more info at start) is better than teaching them gradually (this is what intrinsics do)? 

I can also confidently say the general malaise around railjack has nothing or almost nothing to do with the intrinsic system, otherwise duviri would be getting S#&amp;&#036; for that as well. the railjack malaise is centered around the many game breaking bugs you can run into. These bugs are so bad they can cause trade bans etc, that is where the malaise comes from.

Appreciate your considered responses.  Certainly not the most ingenious suggestion, but one made with the hope to stir greater community interest to advocate for expanding the railjack capabilities and enjoyment.