The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Warframe & Overheating

YourGrandfather

I run warframe on my Asus G74S 

intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz

8gb ram

1.5tb hdd

GTX 560m 3gb ddr5

I always run warframe on windowed mode in 1366 X 768 resolution...
It runs fine for 20-30 minutes.. then it will start to stutter, and the FPS would drop..

I tried running it with MSI Afterburner... and the GPU temp got to 89 degrees celsius.. 

Is warframe's game really that demanding?

Cause running Batman arkham origin, battlefield 4, COD ghosts, and Assassin's creed 4 wouldn't make my GPU temp go past 80.. it would be around 70- 85... And they don't stutter, not even after 4 hours of gameplay.. but on warframe it starts to stutter after 20 - 30 mins.. 

Out of curiosity, why are you running MSI Afterburner on an Asus computer? That aside, there is something very wrong with this picture. No idea what your problem is, but it's running smoothly on my computer, with an nVidia GT540M.

From my experience, I'm going to guess that the problem is your video drivers. I don't know if you're using a similar set of drivers, but recently every new driver that comes out I have to roll back, because it causes Warframe to start lagging like crazy. I don't know why, but pretty much every driver that features Shield/whatever that other technology is support does this. If it helps, I'm running driver version 9.18.13.2723, released on 9/12/2013. Everything past that causes unplayable lag.

I'm sure your GTX uses different sets of drivers, but maybe it's a similar issue. Best of luck to ya.

Out of curiosity, why are you running MSI Afterburner on an Asus computer? That aside, there is something very wrong with this picture. No idea what your problem is, but it's running smoothly on my computer, with an nVidia GT540M.

From my experience, I'm going to guess that the problem is your video drivers. I don't know if you're using a similar set of drivers, but recently every new driver that comes out I have to roll back, because it causes Warframe to start lagging like crazy. I don't know why, but pretty much every driver that features Shield/whatever that other technology is support does this. If it helps, I'm running driver version 9.18.13.2723, released on 9/12/2013. Everything past that causes unplayable lag.

I'm sure your GTX uses different sets of drivers, but maybe it's a similar issue. Best of luck to ya.

It does run smoothly on mine.. but only for 20 - 30 mins.. then it starts to stutter, then lag pretty badly.. i used MSI Afterburner to check if the GPU is being throttled because of the high temperature.. and it is.. GPU % usage drops after 20-30 mins, 99% to a range of 50%-70%,  which is when the stuttering appear and the temperature goes high.. This doesn't happen with other games except warframe :(

As for drivers, i'm on the latest ones from nVidia, which is 331.82.. but the shield support thing only affects GTX 650 and above i think.. 

It does run smoothly on mine.. but only for 20 - 30 mins.. then it starts to stutter, then lag pretty badly.. i used MSI Afterburner to check if the GPU is being throttled because of the high temperature.. and it is.. GPU % usage drops after 20-30 mins, 99% to a range of 50%-70%,  which is when the stuttering appear and the temperature goes high.. This doesn't happen with other games except warframe :(

As for drivers, i'm on the latest ones from nVidia, which is 331.82.. but the shield support thing only affects GTX 650 and above i think.. 

Well, then I'm guessing you last a bit longer on account of the more powerful graphics processor. It doesn't only affect GTX 650 and above, since it's on all the drivers that are ruining my ability to play Warframe, and I'm on a GT540M. Sure, my card probably isn't capable of running Shield, but it seems like they slapped it on there anyways. If it's not Shield, it's whatever other recording software they released around the same time. The point is that for me, new drivers cause lag issues with Warframe. Warframe, and only Warframe. All my other games run fine. With my current set of drivers, everything runs fine.

Try reverting to some earlier set of drivers, and see if that fixes your problem. Maybe disable Multi-Threaded rendering (or enable it, if it's disabled.) Otherwise, I got nothing. Best of luck to you.

Well, then I'm guessing you last a bit longer on account of the more powerful graphics processor. It doesn't only affect GTX 650 and above, since it's on all the drivers that are ruining my ability to play Warframe, and I'm on a GT540M. Sure, my card probably isn't capable of running Shield, but it seems like they slapped it on there anyways. If it's not Shield, it's whatever other recording software they released around the same time. The point is that for me, new drivers cause lag issues with Warframe. Warframe, and only Warframe. All my other games run fine. With my current set of drivers, everything runs fine.

Try reverting to some earlier set of drivers, and see if that fixes your problem. Maybe disable Multi-Threaded rendering (or enable it, if it's disabled.) Otherwise, I got nothing. Best of luck to you.

thanks for the reply.. i've just tried what you said... reverting to an older driver... i got the one that was installed on the asus the day i got it.. 9.18.13.. disabling multi threaded rendering made it worse.. it started lagging the moment warframe launches... 

Enable vsync and make sure triple buffering is enabled in your driver control panel. If left to its own devices, Warframe will run the solar map at 300+fps if your hardware can do it, which causes the fan on my GPU to spin up quite loudly. It's just an acoustic annoyance in a desktop, in a laptop it will kill your performance as thermal throttling kicks in to prevent damage. Enabling vsync will keep this in check, though if your frame rate frequently dips below your screen's refresh rate (typically 60Hz/60fps), you might get some slight input lag.

I don't know if it's the same for you, but for me generally the system load (and/or engine inefficiency) during actual missions is enough to regulate the frame rate and keep this from happening there. GPU usage in my case is capped around 30-40% at most during missions.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know how you get along.

Enable vsync and make sure triple buffering is enabled in your driver control panel. If left to its own devices, Warframe will run the solar map at 300+fps if your hardware can do it, which causes the fan on my GPU to spin up quite loudly. It's just an acoustic annoyance in a desktop, in a laptop it will kill your performance as thermal throttling kicks in to prevent damage. Enabling vsync will keep this in check, though if your frame rate frequently dips below your screen's refresh rate (typically 60Hz/60fps), you might get some slight input lag.

I don't know if it's the same for you, but for me generally the system load (and/or engine inefficiency) during actual missions is enough to regulate the frame rate and keep this from happening there. GPU usage in my case is capped around 30-40% at most during missions.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know how you get along.

hi Morcant! Thanks for the reply.. i tried what u did.. it seems like triple buffering fixed it for me :D.. Thanks! i disabled vsync as it made my gameplay choppy from time to time.. Triple buffering works! :D