Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Almost Maxed Heavy Caliber On A Bow

Sir_Alex_Traffo

After reading everywhere that a high level Heavy Caliber will simply break a bow, I've decided to buy a new mod unranked for my bows.

After doing this I thought I could at least give a try to the other Heavy Caliber I have, which is at rank 9(+150% damage -50% accuracy); I've done it and now I think I've wasted my Platinums(I have a lot, not a tragedy anyway).

Heavy Caliber in my opinion doesn't affect bows as much as I usually read about it, I was able to kill and kill and kill with the Cernos without being forced to be at less than 2mt from the target.

I made a video to show how a rank 9 Heavy Caliber actually affects a bow.

aawp.png

I'm not a Robin Hood, but everytime in the video I miss a target is clearly because I've aimed it wrong, surely not because of the accuracy malus, which to be honest seems to me hard to notice.

I'll for sure go ahead and max up Heavy Caliber, I don't think that 5% less of accuracy from now will make the difference, but maybe the +15% damage will!

EDIT: second test, from a bit more distance!

Edited by siralextraffo

To be honest I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make here. If you are trying to say that the accuracy drop off from the heavy caliber mod ruins the bow, you aren't even aiming for headshot most of the time anyways. Also, you are fighting level 11 corpus so you are one hit killing everything anyways, with or without the head shots.

Mars.

Anyways, I put my maxed Heavy Caliber on every weapon, because that 165% damage makes up for the small loss of accuracy.

It's -50% accuracy, which is rather significant. Or perhaps gameplay will prove otherwise.

I could make one, do you have any suggestion about the location?

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Defense

"Corpus Base, Dam (F: Defend in a frozen dam complex, with enemies storming across two bridges)."

Click on "F" within the link to see a picture.

It's -50% accuracy, which is rather significant. Or perhaps gameplay will prove otherwise.

55%*

My Caliber is maxed.

And I already used it on many weapons.

Braton Prime (You won't even perceive the loss of accuracy if you're playing normally)

Snipetron Vandal (I still hit both projectiles with multishot on a normal distance)

Supra (It already has very low accuracy, so why not just throwing a maxed caliber on it?)

Ignis (It's more like a buff rather than a disadvantage for the Ignis)

Synapse (It's still pretty damn accurate with a maxed caliber)

all pin-point accuracy weapons (I don't like pin-point accuracy, so a maxed caliber works great on 'em)

A maxed heavy caliber is worth putting on every single weapon, but that's also depending on your playstyle and preferences.

Well, when you consider that 50% of 'not much' is 'half as not much', given the accuracy of the bow in general, it doesn't decreases a lot. Besides, as far as accuracy goes, I thought it was based on recoil... and recoil only truly affects weapons with automatic fire or capable of rapid fire (semi-automatic). A bow shoots a single arrow before being reloaded (or two with Split Chamber, but that's not applicable to the theory here) which makes any sort of concept of recoil inexistant.

Edited by Wiegraf

55%*

My Caliber is maxed.

And I already used it on many weapons.

Braton Prime (You won't even perceive the loss of accuracy if you're playing normally)

Snipetron Vandal (I still hit both projectiles with multishot on a normal distance)

Supra (It already has very low accuracy, so why not just throwing a maxed caliber on it?)

Ignis (It's more like a buff rather than a disadvantage for the Ignis)

Synapse (It's still pretty damn accurate with a maxed caliber)

all pin-point accuracy weapons (I don't like pin-point accuracy, so a maxed caliber works great on 'em)

A maxed heavy caliber is worth putting on every single weapon, but that's also depending on your playstyle and preferences.

I need to make myself clearer that a max Heavy Caliber reduces accuracy by 50% on top of the base 5%. Even with what you said, videos would be very helpful to gauge how important the accuracy stat is. I am aware that the automatic rifles are not as affected by the loss of accuracy, but my favorite weapon is the Lanka, even up to now.

Well, when you consider that 50% of 'not much' is 'half as not much', given the accuracy of the bow in general, it doesn't decreases a lot. Besides, as far as accuracy goes, I thought it was based on recoil... and recoil only truly affects weapons with automatic fire or capable of rapid fire (semi-automatic). A bow shoots a single arrow before being reloaded (or two with Split Chamber, but that's not applicable to the theory here) which makes any sort of concept of recoil inexistant.

I'm running on the assumption that accuracy dictates at least some of the spread. Recoil is already controllable, even without mods.

I'm running on the assumption that accuracy dictates at least some of the spread. Recoil is already controllable, even without mods.

Right, however it seems that first shots always hit dead center which then spread with following shots. But with a bow or single shot sniper, that spread is redundant since you have a single shot and that single shot is always your first shot

Right, however it seems that first shots always hit dead center which then spread with following shots. But with a bow or single shot sniper, that spread is redundant since you have a single shot and that single shot is always your first shot

The first shot being 100% accurate seems rather odd and a questionable/unbalanced hidden mechanic, if it exists.

Ok I made another small video, I'm uploading it, will post it soon!

I'm not saying that you don't notice AT ALL the -55%(or -50% in my case)to accuracy, but I'm saying that it doesn't really break bows, you can still use them with a huge buff to damage also!

Considering that most of the times enemies will be at mid-range, it's absolutely worth it to have it maxed in my opnion!

So let me get this straight.

You're testing the efficiency of an accuracy reducing mod on a bow.

Which is a long range weapon meant to snipe out isolated targets.

Which you're using in short range.

It's bad enough that you're gimping your overall efficiency by using a bow, you're also gimping your survivability by using it wrong.

Are you honestly surprised you can't tell the accuracy loss of using Heavy Caliber at such a short distance? Because I'm not.

Edited by MoonZapdos

To be honest, I dont think that its a problem that needs to be fixed. With the damage update, many once powerfull 1 shot 1 kill weapons (Paris, vectis, etc.)have become so useless because of the boosted enemys leveling. Personally  I love that about the update, it is kinda slowing down the speed of the game so that players need to be a bit more intelligent and careful compared to before.

But, paris, vectis etc. are now not so nice because they dont always one shot one kill. That was the advantages of them earlier: If you hit them, they should leave you alone. Compared to the soma and stuff they weren't so useful for quick raids, as those weapons clean up enemies much faster in a room. However, I loved being able to just trust that my weapon would take out something when it hits. With the new update, I find that my vectis isnt so stong anymore. Letting the heavy caliber mod not reduce accuracy so much in one shot weapons evens it out a little bit

So let me get this straight.

You're testing the efficiency of an accuracy reducing mod on a bow.

Which is a long range weapon meant to snipe out isolated targets.

Which you're using in short range.

It's bad enough that you're gimping your overall efficiency by using a bow, you're also gimping your survivability by using it wrong.

Are you honestly surprised you can't tell the accuracy loss of using Heavy Caliber at such a short distance? Because I'm not.

Lol, so let me get this straight.

First of all, I see no need of such an arrogant or assumptive post about my bow skills unless you're Legolas. And if you are I have to tell you the Helms Deep has almost fallen because of you.

A part from that, coming back to more polite tones, I indeed made the first video with a still too close range combat, as I've admitted above; I've also asked suggestion to test it on more bigger distances.

Honestly reading many posts on this forum I was expecting my bow to shoot the arrows backwards if I had to trust how much heavy caliber was supposed to influence the accuracy.

So yes, being able not to notice any accuracy loss at mid-range was quite a surprise, considering I've read the opposite.

In the second video I made I've tried to get shots from a little bit more distance, and I still think that heavy caliber is worth to be maxed; having to aim a little higher than the target seems to me more like a normal bow mechanics due to arrows travel time, but I've read a lot of times that it was considered not normal and that it was one of the reason why heavy caliber was not used on bows.

Also, if in the second video(up in 26 minutes)you won't me take headshots from what I consider quite a distance, please remember the Helms Deep and don't attack me!:P

Edited by siralextraffo

Lol, so let me get this straight.

First of all, I see no need of such an arrogant or assumptive post about my bow skills unless you're Legolas. And if you are I have to tell you the Helms Deep has almost fallen because of you.

A part from that, coming back to more polite tones, I indeed made the first video with a still too close range combat, as I've admitted above; I've also asked suggestion to test it on more bigger distances.

Honestly reading many posts on this forum I was expecting my bow to shoot the arrows backwards if I had to trust how much heavy caliber was supposed to influence the accuracy.

So yes, being able not to notice any accuracy loss at mid-range was quite a surprise, considering I've read the opposite.

In the second video I made I've tried to get shots from a little bit more distance, and I still think that heavy caliber is worth to be maxed; having to aim a little higher than the target seems to me more like a normal bow mechanics due to arrows travel time, but I've read a lot of times that it was considered not normal and that it was one of the reason why heavy caliber was not used on bows.

Also, if in the second video(up in 26 minutes)you won't me take headshots from what I consider quite a distance, please remember the Helms Deep and don't attack me!:P

Projectile arc is a completely normal mechanic for bows. For now, I'm running under the assumption that the two arrows will fire off in different directions. And while this is probably exaggerated, here's a video showing off why accuracy is important:

EDIT:

This video seems promising...

Edited by ChaoticVice777

Ok, here we go:

I think I can be more than satisfied being able to kill an enemy far as the last one, even if probably a headshot is hardly possible; is it far enough? I mean, how many times you actually have to kill enemies miles away, where probably heavy caliber would affect the shot more?

Edited by siralextraffo

I'm fine with how heavy caliber works, but mine is only 8/10 >_>.  Working on 9/10 hornet and serration first though.  If you are having fun with the mod then good for you.  I think the trade off of accuracy for damage is good enough, but if there are any changes I probably wouldn't mind.

Also I think you are right.  If end game is hordes of enemies running at you in endless survival and defense is considered by a majority of the maxed out players here then hardly anybody should complain about the accuracy thing.

Wow.  Honestly these videos just proof that heavy caliber breaks bows.  You have completely missed the point of using a bow.

1st of all, corpus crewman's head take no damage from cernos.  It is the only situation where heavy caliber helps because you have to go for body shots.  You still need to aim for moa's head.

If you aren't aiming for head shots on a bow or sniper, you are doing it wrong.  No, it's not arguable, it's just wrong.  Wind up time, aim time and travel time means you need to one shot the target for it to be worthwhile.  For anything even worth fighting, that means head shots.  Even then you can kill 10 things in that time with another weapon due to the limitation of bows and snipers.  The only redeeming quality on bows and snipers is the 100% accuracy for head shot damage.  If you say you just want to use it cause it's a fun weapon, great! I am happy you enjoy being able to kill low level enemies cause you got heavy caliber on.  It's still broken.

Your 2nd video was completely pointless cause you were fighting level 10 enemies so they are getting one shot no matter what. You have only proven that a lato can do the same thing but better at a low level.  And hilariously enough, your first head shot for 10k was a missed shot cause you were aiming at his body.  When you were aiming for head shots, you missed every single one.  The head is like .... 1/20 size of the body and you just can't do it.  Yes, rarely you land your shots, but the missed shots is just painful to watch.  That's like watching someone try to get ember prime in T3 cap.

The point is bows and snipers NEED to hit the head, and you even agreed that it's "hardly possible".  It is MEANT for head shots. It's broken cause it can't do the one thing it's meant to do. 

I don't even expect any of these will change your mind.  You were passionate enough to make videos to proof your point and started calling someone arrogant just cause he disagreed.  I just hope that someone who's actually seeking information on this topic isn't mislead by the real issue being hidden behind low level enemies dying to body shots.

Edited by aa3123