The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Overall Performance Issues

Dataz

Hello,

I've done some tests to make sure my assumptions, and seems I was right. The game seems to have serious performance issues. I would just like to show you a screenshot I made during T3 MD run, often full of explosions (Nova) & mobs in one place.

Here it is: http://i.imgur.com/ZlyBHb2.png

Here is benchmark with Multithreading enabled: http://i.imgur.com/E5arTT3.png

My hardware is shortly: Core i7 3610QM, 8GB DDR3, GeForce GT640M 2GB. It's pretty decent for this game I think, but does it even matter when it's not utilized even by half?

And here's my question: How is it possible that this game keeps having even less than 30 fps. (in more demanding actions even worse ~20fps) , when my graphic card's usage is about 40% and cpu..only 24%. It's just weird and strange, that this game can't spread its wings, it seems to have limits I can't even describe. These measures were done on most up-to-date version (11.2), but before U11, I remember it was slightly better.

I know you say it's beta, and there is multithreading option, but I beg you...it's getting worse instead of getting better. DE should catch the problem and try to fix it somewhat.

Btw: What's the point for multithreading option..it should be enabled by default. Does this game even support one-core cpus? requirements say something different. 2-core cpu is a minimum, so why this game can't adapt itself to number of cpu threads when their number can be easily obtained from operating system?

If the game can't use computer to its full but is limited by something, tell us where are those limits located at?

The reason for this question is, I would like to improve my system (hardware or software) to have smooth gameplay.

Edited by Dataz

I have neither of them enabled. V-sync auto-don't know whether it means on or off. Here are settings I use: http://i.imgur.com/YbSY7zI.png

With multithreading enabled it's better with fps, around ~40. But we know it's experimental function and it can cause crashes which was the reason I've disabled it some time ago.

Edited by Dataz

I play on a old (2009) laptop so it would please me if the system was optimized lowering the workload. While I have no idea of how to do so myself, hearing that you have issues on a computer that is a lot faster is kinda sad.

Playing anything but exterminate usually means 10 fps for me XD I'm used to lag. The fps meter won't go underneath 10 btw.

And also - the gameplay is impared in lower resolutions with UI and stuff not being aligned. So having very low  (the lowest) specs isn't a real option as it cuts away on the mechanics of the game.

I have neither of them enabled. V-sync auto-don't know whether it means on or off. Here are settings I use: http://i.imgur.com/YbSY7zI.png

With multithreading enabled it's better with fps, around ~40. But we know it's experimental function and it can cause crashes which was the reason I've disabled it some time ago.

For what it's worth, multithreading has gone through a couple of improvements, and should be more stable. I recommend it for multicore processors, as long as it doesn't introduce problems, which is sadly still a possibility for a fraction of users. These problems will usually present as a substantially lower frame rate in the menu UI and/or within missions; in my case in a Linux/Wine configuration the UI runs at about 12 fps when zoomed into a planet, and it also causes some texturing oddities.

As far as V-sync control, I prefer not to let the program determine on or off, so I set it explicitly. Typically, it will be enabled for me if I set to "auto," as evidenced by the fps meter (either in-game or Fraps). I leave V-sync on in Windows because otherwise it churns out a lot of frames at the menu (~300 fps) and generates a lot of heat and fan noise.

It is interesting, though. The game engine seems to scale poorly. For very low-end hardware, there are not options to mitigate performance impact; for very high-end hardware, there are not options / code logic to take advantage of greater rendering throughput. In between, it runs adequately, but still has severe frame drops in busy scenes. Under Windows my i5 3570K/7950 machine will commonly drop from 120 fps to sub-100 when enemies spawn, then further to 50-60 fps in a busy scene with many enemies / powers active. Meanwhile, my CPU load sits around 35-40%, and GPU load is ~40%.

I don't think there's a way to fix this from our end, unfortunately. It'll have to come from the devs.