Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Newbie Questions About The Story/lore

(PSN)Greig91

Okay, hi. I've only been playing this a week, and I never played Dark Sector, so if I'm missing anything obvious I apologize. I have read a lot of stuff on the wikia site though, otherwise I'd be completely lost lol.

But my understanding thus far is that the Tenno are an offshoot of humanity who were able to bond with the technocyte virus causing them to "evolve" into what we play in the game instead of simply becoming infested. 

That's pretty much it lol. The Grineer I suspect are also an offshoot of humanity. I have no idea what the corpus are, probably messed up humans too.

The enemies aren't really important. They're the bad guys, you shoot them, that's all that matters there. The part that has peaked my curiosity is the presence of all these captives and "Tenno sympathisers". Who are these guys? Are they "normal" humans like you and me? And if so does that mean there is still a regular human civilization? Or has the human race as we know it died off/changed into other things?

The way I see it there has to be some civilization, human or otherwise. If there wasn't then there wouldn't really be any point in the Tenno getting out of bed, they'd just let the Grineer have at it. And the Corpus, who I've read are a merchant cult, would have no one to trade with. 

But you don't really see any sign of anyone alive besides the Tenno, the Grineer, the Corpus and these mystery captives. I guess the captives could be Tenno too, but some of the missions refer to them as "Tenno sympathizers" which kinda implies that they themselves are not Tenno.

What do you think? Any Warframe buffs want to weigh in lol?

Confusing as the game may be I'm loving it. I'm on PS4 but if they give that version even half as much attention as they have the PC version I'll be playing it for a very long time. Or at least until my PS4 RRoDs. Fingers crossed they get cross platform play going before that happens, I read they wanted to do that. 

Update 11 will bring you the codex which has a fair bit of info in it. Most stuff we have is still speculation.

There are a few good threads with discussions of lore, the stickied one in GD is the unofficial compendium of the real lore.

I put forward a theory a week or two ago, which seems to fit, there was also a fair bit of discussion on it, https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/139823-lore-discussion-the-fallen-empire-theory/'>link if you want to go read through it.

There is essentially nothing but theorycraft and speculation.
The only things we really have established are:

Grineer are clones.
Corpus are Lawful Evil business men.
Tenno are humans in suits, and we play as them a la LoL champions. (YMMV)

Infested are feral.
Orokin are really old.

Pew pew lasers.

if you actually read excaliburs info in the codex it says the tenno were people who traveled to the void (not the orokin towers) and returned they were mutated and developed powers then the frames where built around them to focus those powers and act as a way to channel them and excel was the first

Tenno are actually Orokin who were denied access to the void and fought the Sentients in the Old War.

Well according to the Stalker's Codex Entry, the Tenno were revered warrior servants of the Orokin until something caused them to revolt and slaughter their masters.

Meanwhile, from what I gathered, I put together a bit of "headcanon" lore for Warframe so far.

The Tenno were once warrior servants of the Orokin, who fought for them during and possibly before the Old War. Something triggered a revolt, and the Tenno slaughtered their Orokin masters. The Stalker was a Tenno who was not notified and did not take part in the revolt, and considers the Tenno traitors, which is why he hunts them now. Either way, the Tenno were put into stasis somehow afterwards, either on their own or by the Orokin to stop them, and have now been awoken by the Lotus to serve her currently unknown agenda. The Lotus herself appears to once have had relations with the Corpus, but turned traitor for some reason.

The Grineer are an offshoot of humans, who overwhelmed and destroyed most of normal humanity through sheer numbers. The vast majority of them are clones, though certain members like the bosses may be normal humans, or aberrant clones who managed to survive and develop skills/tech that allowed them to rise above the rest of their kind. Due to imperfect cloning technology, their clones are suffering from genetic deteoration, relying on technology and robotic implants to offset their physical weakness. They are war mongers who seek to take over the Sol System.

The Corpus are also an offshoot of humans, though they are not clones. The Corpus in general are a massive lawful-evil corrupt cult-corporation who manage many of the systems (such as the solar rails) and trade in the Sol System, and possibly beyond. Most of their members are indoctrinated/brainwashed, though there does seem to be regular civilians, as indicated during the Gradivus Dilemma. They also worship technology, having far superior tech than the Grineers, and rely on robotic proxies and powerful energy weapons to offset the frail-ness of their human crewmen. They seem obsessed with Orokin technology, and try their best to capture and dissect Warframes to obtain their tech.

The Infested are a bio-weapon developed by the Orokin to fight against the Sentients in the Old War, but the virus went rogue, driving the surviving Orokins into the Void and now run rampant in the Sol System. They're basically the zombies of the WF universe, and every faction wants them dead and gone.