Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Attacks! Special 'not' Charged Sugestion!

Kyphe

Sorry if this has been talked about before but my search did not show anything.

My idea is simple, rather than having a basic charged attack which only does more damage and often is not worth using as you could have hit them with 3 normal attacks in the same time, the weapon could instead do a special attack based on one of two avenues

First is weapon specific specials, this is an option to give each weapon a pre defined special attack as part of its nature and appeal to the user!

These could be something like having a limited ranged attack of some kind like sending out a flame-throwing attack or an bolt of electricity or lob an explosive or have a single shotgun blast from a gun/sword hybrid type deal! or it could instigate a special move like a jump and stab which does massive puncture or a huge power sweep or spin that has double the range and extra slash.

basically in this suggestion you get an attack which is like an extra ability based on your choice of melee weapon the type of attacks can be many and varied.

Second idea if the fist is too much is a simple mod based attack rule, The special is based on the most powerful elemental attack you add to the weapon including combined ones like blast.

what do you reckon?

I really like the idea of the charged attack having a secondary function/attack! I basically only use charged attacks to crack open fans. I have been thinking that perhaps the charged attack should be turned into a build-up-release attack:

You press and hold the melee attack to build up the charge and when it is at 100% it is automatically released (as it currently does), but if you release it sooner - say, at 50% - it does (for trade-off) 45% charge damage. It would allow us to play with speed vs power and allow for individually adjusted melee combat depending on preference, weapon numbers and combat situation. I could see myself build-up-release and be quite comfortable outputting 30% charge damage to still retain a speed I am happy with. Now, if the full charge triggered a unique attack to that weapon - as you suggest - it could make it worth while to me to make that a priority. I would also like to see the proc chance build with the charge. I think that alone could make melee far more viable.

Atm charged attacks can be interrupted and melee is risky business for (often) lackluster damage. I'd welcome a (minor) passive block effect while using melee that increased its damage reduction properties while charging a weapon - or even as a temporary buff after completing a full charged attack.

Edited by Kyria

Sorry if this has been talked about before but my search did not show anything.

My idea is simple, rather than having a basic charged attack which only does more damage and often is not worth using as you could have hit them with 3 normal attacks in the same time, the weapon could instead do a special attack based on one of two avenues

First is weapon specific specials, this is an option to give each weapon a pre defined special attack as part of its nature and appeal to the user!

These could be something like having a limited ranged attack of some kind like sending out a flame-throwing attack or an bolt of electricity or lob an explosive or have a single shotgun blast from a gun/sword hybrid type deal! or it could instigate a special move like a jump and stab which does massive puncture or a huge power sweep or spin that has double the range and extra slash.

basically in this suggestion you get an attack which is like an extra ability based on your choice of melee weapon the type of attacks can be many and varied.

Second idea if the fist is too much is a simple mod based attack rule, The special is based on the most powerful elemental attack you add to the weapon including combined ones like blast.

what do you reckon?

A good suggestion!

There are a number of weapons in which charge attacks are VERY useful, including the Dual Heat Swords, Gram, Gallantine, and other heavy weapons. The full charge of the above mentioned weapons can cleave through several enemies in one swing, and I personally enjoy playing with a charge'd up Gallantine.

I can agree that the longsword type weapons, including the skana and chronos, can be lack-luster in their charge attack damage, and might benefit from custom attacks at full charge. I think it might be an interesting improvement to the game! I am not sure that it is completely necessary, and I do encourage you to expand your horizons in regards to melee weapons and charge attacks.

I really like the idea of the charged attack having a secondary function/attack! I basically only use charged attacks to crack open fans. I have been thinking that perhaps the charged attack should be turned into a build-up-release attack:

You press and hold the melee attack to build up the charge and when it is at 100% it is automatically released (as it currently does), but if you release it sooner - say, at 50% - it does (for trade-off) 45% charge damage. It would allow us to play with speed vs power and allow for individually adjusted melee combat depending on preference, weapon numbers and combat situation. I could see myself build-up-release and be quite comfortable outputting 30% charge damage to still retain a speed I am happy with. Now, if the full charge triggered a unique attack to that weapon - as you suggest - it could make it worth while to me to make that a priority. I would also like to see the proc chance build with the charge. I think that alone could make melee far more viable.

Atm charged attacks can be interrupted and melee is risky business for (often) lackluster damage. I'd welcome a (minor) passive block effect while using melee that increased its damage reduction properties while charging a weapon - or even as a temporary buff after completing a full charged attack.

I also like the suggestion here of a Melee Charge Bar on screen to show how close you are to unleashing your powerful attacks! The tradeoff for speed vs power would definately open up some design room for more interesting, or longer charging weapons.

Again I would say that the "lackluster" damage coming from the charging of your weapon may be a fault of the weapon itself. In damage 2.0 they changed how regular swings and charged swings do damage. Pressure point no longer seems to affect charge damage, and only mods that specifically say "charge damage" will increase that number. Make sure you check out the weapons you're using and make a decision if charge damage is worth it for that sword.

Edited by Balduron04