The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Infested Flying Boss

KARMA2605

So I was thinking that now that Infested show up in Invasions, and that it will be common for them to temporarily replace bosses, and that J-3 Golem has been removed (at least for now?) that it would be neat to see DE break out another Infested Boss or Two so that we don't get an instance of Phorid using translocation to be in two places at once ;)

Here's what I'm thinking - I've long been a proponent to give Infested either a ranged unit or fast attack flying unit, something to cause the Players to have to switch up tactics a bit.  I do understand that the physics/programming on a flying unit may be tricky, so I then thought that if they used the mechanics already in place for Raptor we could get something neat.

So, think Pterodactyl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterodactylus

I'm thinking a larger thicker body, with larger leathery wings, and a crested head ala the Alien Queen from Aliens (or AVP for the newer generation).  Furthermore I want to stick with the concept of an eyeless creature, again like the Aliens because something about that is both terrifying and cool.  So have this creature use echolocation like a bat - having sonic powers means it could be a possible drop spot for Banshee parts, removing those from the other diluted drop tables especially now that Volt is there.

Specifics: I'm thinking large health pool but no armor or anything.  The Creature would mostly fly from place to place and then hover for moments at a time.  Heck, if you used the underground Grineer boss location that Phorid resides in now maybe it could even cling to the walls or ceiling from time to time again like a bat.

As it flies around, I would have it do one of two modes.  First mode would be to air drop in Crawlers of all varieties, with a high rate on Toxic, Lobber, and Electric to help solve that rarity problem.  It would do a slow, lazy pass of the players and air drop in Crawlers like a bombing run.  Second mode would be a faster, direct strafing run where it would use an ability like Sonic Boom to knock players around and do a little damage - makes Fortressing a little tricky, which would be good.

Third I would give it a hover (which should be the most common mode it goes into if the flying proves too difficult for the average player to track and hit it).  In this mode I would like to see it either a) use the first two abilities mentioned again if commonly is hovering b) rapidly beat its wings to cause massive down draft in the form of an ability like Sound Quake (thought likely much shorter in duration so as not to stun lock players for too long) c) both a and b.

The basic fight would be a lot of fire and displace - again, trying to Snow Globe or Bastille it up would lead to being knocked out of spot.  The best time to hurt it would be when it hovers in place, but if it used its Sound Quake ability Players would be left exposed to not only that damage but the Crawlers who would now have a chance to use their elemental damages.

tldr; a flying infested boss that uses echolocation in the form of a Sonic Boom flyby, a rare Crawler bombing run, and a hover in place Sound Quake

What say the masses?

Edited by KARMA2605

I have two opinions for this.

1) I like it, incredible setup

2) sounds HIGHLY annoying, (like most bosses) (*cough, cough* hek)

Very annoying, but tough lol.

could a real pterodactyl easily catch and eat a human being ?

....yes...yes they could... :0