Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wall Run, Wall Climb Differentiation

LightstealKnight

Great gameplay mechanics, however,

I do not know if anyone else has this problem but sometimes I hit walls on a slight slant while intending to run up and do a wall run by mistake, and vise versa.

As an added gameplay mechanic, could you please make the key bindings for a wall run and a wall climb different so that we have more control over the result.

Suggestion:

If you hit the wall at an angle  between 5 to 15 degrees (subject to change on testing)

If you hold jump or Jump + sprint - perform a run up

Else if you hold sprint and not hold jump - do a wall run

Else If you hold crouch - continue your slide and do not interact with wall

else If you are not holding sprint or jump - do not interact with wall

And if I could add another mechanics suggestion - the tumble roll after landing.

Please have a different landing and the tumble roll only apply if the forward key (W) is being held.

I hear a lot of feedback from players that make a perfect landing perpendicularly on narrow bridge however continue to tumble forward off the bridge into a lower area or a pit.  Please reward players for making jumps like this.

Please comment and/or sign

I saw a post that gathered all the frustrating features about movement in warframe.

It was very well detailed, with drawings and .gif, and had more than 200 "likes".

What you're complaining about was included of course.

I can't find it because I didn't bother replying to say nothing, but if somebody has the link...

EDIT : finally found it ! https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119650-parkour-has-been-ignored-for-too-long-its-the-key-element-in-making-warframe-gameplay-unique-and-fresh/?hl=%20movement%20%20gameplay%20%20wallrun

Edited by Lluid

I saw a post that gathered all the frustrating features about movement in warframe.

It was very well detailed, with drawings and .gif, and had more than 200 "likes".

What you're complaining about was included of course.

I can't find it because I didn't bother replying to say nothing, but if somebody has the link...

EDIT : finally found it ! https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119650-parkour-has-been-ignored-for-too-long-its-the-key-element-in-making-warframe-gameplay-unique-and-fresh/?hl=%20movement%20%20gameplay%20%20wallrun

Firstly it is not a complaint, it is constructive criticism with a suggestion.

That is a great post but it will require a serious overhaul of the mechanics system,  the suggestions in this post are more of a quick fix and the tumble comment is not included in the link you posted.

But thank you for that link, I thoroughly enjoyed looking through it and agree with most of the suggestions other than reducing the wall jump and removing the helecoptering.

You're right, it would be a good quick fix.

However, I didn't understand why you mentioned the "between 5 to 15 degrees". It seems that what you propose could work at any angle to the wall (except 90 degrees of course).

I agree with you that we should be able to roll in the direction we want (between +X and -X degrees compared to the jumping direction) when falling from a high place. "X" could depend on your horizontal speed when landing. The faster you move, the narrower the angle in which you are forced to roll. But if you fall with no horizontal speed, you can roll in any direction.

I'm not sure of the exact meaning of "complaining" in English, sorry if I used it incorrectly. In any case it wasn't criticism.

Edited by Lluid

You're right, it would be a good quick fix.

However, I didn't understand why you mentioned the "between 5 to 15 degrees". It seems that what you propose could work at any angle to the wall (except 90 degrees of course).

I agree with you that we should be able to roll in the direction we want (between +X and -X degrees compared to the jumping direction) when falling from a high place. "X" could depend on your horizontal speed when landing. The faster you move, the narrower the angle in which you are forced to roll. But if you fall with no horizontal speed, you can roll in any direction.

I'm not sure of the exact meaning of "complaining" in English, sorry if I used it incorrectly. In any case it wasn't criticism.

5-15 degrees was just an example,

(5-15 degrees from the T direction, the way you are thinking about it would be 75-85 or 95-105 degrees if you take the zero direction as the direction of the wall)

I was trying to wall run up a spot in the vault the other day between two pillars.  I would get almost all the way up and then the game would suddenly decide that I hit the pillar at too big an angle and it would make me wall run sideways and I would have to start over again.  

Obviously if you hit the wall at 45 degrees you would do a horizontal wall run, but I am talking about when you hit it almost at the perpendicular direction and for some reason the game makes you run sideways.  There is this foggy area of grey where the player intends one type of wall run and the game decides that it fits into the other type.  That shady grey area should have a mechanic for the player to tell the game what type of wall run he wants to do.

I simply chose 5-15 degrees away from the T because that seemed to me to be that very grey area.

-------------------------

And the tumble should be a momentum issue.  If you want to land (even from high up) you should be able to hit the ground with no tumble if you are not holding the forward direction.