Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Current Forma Process Is Meh ... Why Not ...

Voidflow

In order to prevent wall of text: this topic is about a proposal of damage scale via Forma
and positive consequences (Weapon tiering and balance with a link to Warframe lore).

Current implementation of Formaing process:

Forma.png

Lore: Forma is a shape-altering component, which is fundamental to Orokin construction.

• Forma enhancement process adds/changes polarity 
  • Weapon rank reset  

So we install Forma after Forma on our weapons and improve them via polarity slots. And this is it.
Seriously, if we consider Forma as Orokin technology, it could be much more than polarity amplifier.

Proposal for Improvement of Forma mechanics:

• Forma enhancement process adds/changes polarity 
  • Weapon rank reset  
  • Additionally per 2 installed Forma an Orokin cell slot will be unlocked
  • Capacity limit at 4 Orokin cell slots

Consequence:  each Orokin cell slot can be equipped with Orokin cell :D

• With installing of Orokin cell weapon base damage scales by specific factor
  • Each weapon has its own scaling factor (easier to balance weapons)
  • Low tech / tier weapons scale much better than high tier weapons.
  • Overall damage output saturation at tier 10-12 (equals to current system MR7 Supra)

Qualitative Example of Base damage scale via Forma + Orokin Cell (Supercharging):

Forma-damage-scale.jpg

UI Example of Dera with 8 Forma and 4 installed Orokin cells:

UI-Forma-maxed.jpg

Benefits:

• More variety
  • Less useless weapons (more potential sales for DE)
  • Easier to buff/nerf weapons
  • Weapon selection based not OPness, but by own preference, look, load out composition etc.
  • Weapon Tiers and "Side grades" at the same time (Still some better than others based on technology)
  • Sustainability for further development of the game, content and lore

Damage output saturation (with maxed weapons) leads to more standardized content and also improving game play. However, the latter requires implementation of more intelligent difficulty scaling (better AI, special enemy units, pickups decrease, damage scale from enemies, slower shield recharge e.g. etc.)

A possible definition of weapon tiers (considering "lore"):

Lore wise we have different  weapon technologies, which have limitations (damage output saturation e.g.).  These are: Orokin, Corpus, Grineer, Tenno / Lotus designs and Clan research tech.  Which weapon technology is more superior compared to other technologies is only known by DE.

However, there is still a trend, where almost all weapons which have sufficient Orokin tech involved in their crafting procedure, tend to be in top tier.  These weapons require mostly  3+  Orokin Cells or Forma.  This leads to a top tier which consists of primes, clan weapons and Seer. Vandal/Wraith weapons might also require some origin Orokin technology.  At the end its more or less a speculation

Nevertheless one could define some basic tiers, which can be split to sub tiers:

• Tier  I:  Prime weapons (requiring a lot of Orokin cells) / Clan weapons (requiring Forma and additional rare "complex ingredients") / Seer pistol (Orokin cell and gun parts, which possible were build by using Forma. This could be the case also for prime parts)  / Vandal and Wraith weapons !?

• Tier  II: Weapons with crafting requirements: Orokin cells (Vectis, Akbolto, Afuris etc.), Fieldron Sample and Detonite Injector (Weapons used by Corpus and Grineer, not the same as clan research).

• Tier III:  Weapons with crafting requirements: Neural Sensors, Galium, Neurodes, Control Module, Morphics.

• Tier IV: Weapons with basic crafting requirements such as Salvage, Alloy Plate  etc. (Also Entry Weapons like Lato and Braton).

Current Weapons including Forma and Orokin cells in crafting:

• 15 Orokin Cells: Dakra Prime.
  • 10 Orokin Cells: Boar Prime, Braton Prime, Bronco Prime, Latron Prime, Orthos Prime, Reaper Prime.
  • Miscs:  prime parts might be very complex

• 2 Forma: Synapse,
  • 1 Forma: Prova, Spectra, Dera, Torid, Ignis, Ogris, Flux, Dual Ichor, Acrid, Supra, Lanka, Embolist
  • Miscs: Mutagen Mass, Fieldron Sample, Detonite Injector

• 4 Orokin Cells:  Vectis.
  • 3 Orokin Cells: Akbolto (overall)
  • 2 Orokin Cells: Dual Vastos, Magnus, Seer.
  • 1 Orokin Cells: Afuris, Aklex, Bolto, Bo, Dual Kamas, Dual Broncos, Plasma Sword, Twin Vipers

The consequence of such tier system is, that each low tier weapon could be enhanced / rebuilt by using extensive clan research and origin Orokin technology (Forma and Orokin Cells).

This would also fit with proposed Formaing process. However, formaing process and weapon tiers are based on the idea of advancement of Orokin technology. So far we can't build any prime parts yet.

So what do you think? Feedback, critique, more / better Ideas are appreciated.

Edited by Voidflow

I don't like the idea of tiered weapons at all. If I like the handling of a specific gun, i should be able to make it as strong as every other gun with enough effort. I understand the idea that you should be rewarded for unlocking and ranking expensive an difficult to get guns. Why not increase the mastery rating for rare guns and frames and give passive bonuses to your mastery level, which increases the damage with all guns across the board. That would reward you for getting rare stuff but let you use what ever gun you like.

• 4 weeks later...

the idea is ok but 8forma is to many

after 6forma EVERY Gun is rdy and after 8forma u have problems to change loadouts

For this issue one could have 2 solutions:

1. Installing Forma and changing polarity in the same slot. So that only amount of stars is matter with maximum cap of 8 stars. Beyond 8 no more Orokin Cell slots.

2. Compressing proposed damage output boost to 6 Forma and 3 Orokin Cells.

Well I was a bit too fast posting this topic. Damn christmass time.

I don't like the idea of tiered weapons at all. If I like the handling of a specific gun, i should be able to make it as strong as every other gun with enough effort. I understand the idea that you should be rewarded for unlocking and ranking expensive an difficult to get guns. Why not increase the mastery rating for rare guns and frames and give passive bonuses to your mastery level, which increases the damage with all guns across the board. That would reward you for getting rare stuff but let you use what ever gun you like.

I also dont like idea of weapons tiers in terms of mastery requirements. It would be much better if there were no enemy levels (everything on same level) and weapon tiers are only defined by techological lore based tiers, like Braton Prime is better than standard Braton. But this is beyond and will require a lot changes and better fundamental stuff like AI 2.0.

The proposed system require only a few changes and can be changed any time via weapon specific scaling factors.

The scaling with Mastery Rank has one big issue. A new player will need higher Mastery in order being able to do end content stuff like T3 defense or a better weapon (so higher Mastery). It has positive and negative side effects. On one side player has a goal in the long term, on the other side not everyone wants to grind mastery.

How about no . Cells is already hard enough to be found and you want 

to put that many on weapons? no just no it is fine as it is.

The only change i would asuggest is with each forma you

gain an xp boost for the weapon you had forma 

How about no . Cells is already hard enough to be found and you want 

to put that many on weapons? no just no it is fine as it is.

The only change i would asuggest is with each forma you

gain an xp boost for the weapon you had forma 

Orokin Cell drop rate is completely different issue. It would be much better, if cells could drop in void missions instead of control modules.

btw. Lech Kril drops them and also not to forget battle pay rewards.

Edited by Voidflow