Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Raptor's Grappling Idea

TopHatRaptor

'Ello, ladies and gentlemen.

TopHatRaptor here with just a little idea that I'd figure I'd throw around with ya'll.

GRAPPLING

Now before you start shaking your heads or even crying, hear me out. I've thought a good while about this, and I hope you'll see where I'm coming from.

Basically, this would be a system that would mainly be used in stealth, but also has it's uses in other aspects of gameplay. There would be two kinds of grappling; let's call them stealth grappling and assualt grappling. Now take note, because these two have different parameters that must be met in order to carry out a successful grapple. Let's take a look at both of them in detail.

Stealth Grappling - To perform a successful stealth grapple requires a few conditions to be met, and with some improvements to the stealth system coming in future, I think this could improve the "awesome" factor of performing a stealth kill. In order to perform a stealth grapple, you must be:

1. Undetected by your enemy

2. Behind your target

3. Within melee range of your target

Once all these requirements are met, you can perform a stealth grapple. Now, let's touch base on what the heck a grapple is. The way I invision it, you grab your target from behind and perfom a very quick animation that instantly kills the target. We don't want long, tiresome animations that disrupt the fast-paced nature of this game. Depending on what you have equipped, the animation might change. Noteable changes would be caused by Pistols, Melee weapons, and even your warframe. For example:

You're playing as a Volt with your starting loadout equipped. You manage to sneak up behind an enemy, and perform a successful stealth grapple. Now you have four animations that could happen, and each completely random. You could either A) simply snap the neck of your target, B) whip out your pistol and execute the target, C) because you are a Volt, you electrify the target and fry him, or D) impale the target with your Skana.

Each of these instantly kills the target and generates no alarm, unless, of course, another unit sees you. Each animation would change depending on which Warframe you play as, (EG: Rhino simply crushes enemy's head, Frost puts palm against back of enemy's head and generates an icicle, impaling his skull, etc.) and the melee weapon you have. Some weapons and warframes might not have special animations, so you might be limited to example A) and B) with certain loadouts. For example, a Bo staff isn't sharp enough to impale someone with, and a Fragor is too large and clunky to be whipped out quickly for a silent and quick kill. On the other hand, certain weapons, like a dagger, will trigger different animations. Instead of impaling a target like a sword would have, the dagger causes you to slit the enemy's throat, killing it instantly.

Now for the other type of grappling:

Assualt Grapplling - Assault grappling works differently from stealth grappling, in that it's supposed to be used for heat-of-battle situations rather than assassination attempts. With assault grappling, you must meet the following:

1. The enemy must be alerted of your presence

2. The target must have less than 50% health

3. You must be facing your target

When grappling an enemy with assault grapple, you hold the enemy in front of you, using him as a shield for incoming fire. You are completely covered from the front, but you still can take damage from behind or from the sides that aren't covered. You can also fire from behind the meat shield, though your accuracy will take a nosedive. At any time you can kill the grappled target, which employs the same animations as noted in the stealth grappling section. You may also move with the target, albeit, very slowly.

However, assualt grappling drains your energy rather quickly, ensuring that no one gets to walk around with an invicible front-end through the whole mission. If you run out of energy with an enemy grappled, the enemy will break free, deal damage, and cause stun, making you open to attacks. The same goes for attempting to grapple an enemy with higher than 50% health; the target will rebuff your advance and cause knockback or stun. This means you want to be very careful about when you grapple and who you grapple, as grappling the wrong person at the wrong time could result in your death (just like real life!).

TL;DR: There is no TL;DR. Go back and read the whole thing.

Beyond simply looking cool, and adding a little spice to your playstyle, I think it can allow for stealthier gameplay, a fun little challenge (see how many grapple kills you can get), and just being an entertaining game mechanic in general. So now I open this to the community:

What do you think? Is this a good idea? Critique and suggestions welcome

Instead of automatically killing him it should go like this : stealth grapple the guy and then press the melee button to kill him or walk with him infront of you. When you press the melee button it would randomly play any of the animations.

I really like this idea, I hope DE will intergrate it in.

One good example is MGS3:snake eater. Your description fits CQC system quite well.

However, problem arise with higher lv enemies and elite. Should they be instagbbed by this stealth kill technique? From the latest Q&A, DE mentioned a new stealth kill technique but they clearly stated that some weapons like daggers will be more stealth-oriented which is probably meant that they can deal more stealth damage.

However, the assault grab probably see more use if implemented.