Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Making Weapon Skins Something More Than Just Cosmetic

Necrosaur

I was bashing up some grinner with my candy cane today as you are want to do, and I thought, wheres the sharp edge, i'm doing slashing damage with this blunt piece of very hard candy?

So like warframe helmet skins have some sort of gameplay modification, so should weapon skins.

They should change the base weapon damages to something else. Or reallocate it in some way.

For example:

1) You could have a weapon skin that changes the dark blade into a electrical energy blade held in stasis by some advanced technology.

So then the damage would cease to be physical at all. Now it deals radiation damage.

2) Brokk hammer skin, LOOKS as if it's got spikes, thats cool, but NOW it should be dealing some piercing damage, and less blunt damage (for balance)

3) Candy cane hate, thats definitely blunt, so now it deals impact damage instead of slashing damage.

Animations can of course stay as is.

Edited by Necrosaur

if a weapon skin is gonna change a weapon and how it behaves, why not just make it a seperate weapon? DE seems to believe that's the way to go.

besides, in a livestream they said they wont be bring any more skins that changes the 3d models, exception being holiday exclusives like the candy cane.

if a weapon skin is gonna change a weapon and how it behaves, why not just make it a seperate weapon? 

This. If they're going to make a new model, with new stats that are balanced... may as well be a new weapon. Maybe we could have this talk after we have enough stuff to hit Rank 30 at account level.

I believe at one point DE has stated they didn't like cosmetic changes that directly alter game play. Unless I'm mistaken the last skin that DE put into the game changed the way a Warframe or Weapon worked was Nova's alt helmet. While this game is in beta and anything would happen I seriously doubt that DE is going to make any changes to the current cosmetic system in the game. It just more profitable to make new weapons and items than to make altered forms of the last ones. Skin art is one thing, balancing a weapon to fit its new skin is entirely another.