The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Update - Warframe Specific Buffs

Talwyna

I heard DE is revamping Melee.

One thing I'd like to see are Warframe specific buffs / modifiers to melee (maybe even all) weapons. Things such as Rhino boost to heavy weapons, Ash boost to silent, Excalibur to longsword etc. These would not only be limited to damage, but also include things like fire rate, crit rate, magazine/ammo capacity. 

Example:

Rhino modifiers could look like Primary Weapon Ammo Max Boost X%, Secondary Weapon Clip Size Increase, Heavy Weapon Damage Buff.

Nova: Primary Weapon Crit %, Secondary Weapon Crit Damage, Melee Fire Rate Speed Increase

Sounds like those innate damage resistances some people wanted.

I don't think it's that great since it would push people towards choosing weapons they might otherwise not want to use and possibly make them feel limited in their skill-sets and loadouts

I have Rhino, but I don't want to use him just to get some extra damage with my heavy melee. Perhaps I want to use the Glaive or Dual Ether Swords?

Apart from melee, having bonuses to rifles/sidearm weapons is quite odd. Especially something like magazine/ammo capacity, but even damage is a bit strange. Why does a bullet hurt more from Rhino for instance than from Loki?

It does make sense for someone like Rhino or Frost (or even Ash and Excalibur to some extent) to perform slightly better with heavy weapons than others simply because of their size and build, or Ash/Loki being faster with daggers. This said, it shouldn't be so much that you refrain from using other weapons entirely.

Apart from melee, having bonuses to rifles/sidearm weapons is quite odd. Especially something like magazine/ammo capacity, but even damage is a bit strange. Why does a bullet hurt more from Rhino for instance than from Loki?

I like your point. Just to keep the discussion going, I would say something like "expertise". I think it would be difficult to code a change in the headshot area by warframe, so simply increasing damage (or if you prefer crit % / crit damage) would allow this type of mechanic to exist.  

And if I was unclear before, I am not suggesting any warframe could not equip a particular weapon, just that each warframe would have different specialties. 

I like your point. Just to keep the discussion going, I would say something like "expertise". I think it would be difficult to code a change in the headshot area by warframe, so simply increasing damage (or if you prefer crit % / crit damage) would allow this type of mechanic to exist.  

And if I was unclear before, I am not suggesting any warframe could not equip a particular weapon, just that each warframe would have different specialties. 

I do know what you're saying does not limit my ability to use melee technically. However, we know those guys who want more damage/speed/crit chance/whatever in any way possible are going to limit their melee to the frame it benefits from.

I want to be able to use whatever melee with whatever Frame to fit my play-style; I don't want to conform to a predetermined melee+frame booster combo. (I use Ether Daggers with Rhino)

This goes against my inner hippie man.

It's a nice idea, but it would draw people away from the whole aspect of player preference.

Let's say I love my Ash more than anything, but I'm not too keen on bows and instead I use the Kara. Then DE releases an update saying that frame x gets a buff in terms of machine rifles, I'd immediately drop my Ash and move onto frame x, knowing I'd need that extra damage for late-game content.

Edited by EDeN153

I'd say it would make more sense to be a flat "X has a higher Y modifier" than "X has a higher Y modifier when using Z"

For example, Rhino would do more raw damage, while Ember adds fire damage to all of her attacks, Ash would have  a higher critical rate, etc e tc.

Eek!

I could one-hit kill ANYTHING with my Akvastos! (If I had an Ash)

And then there's the hypothetical Ignis+Ember combo. (Burn the whole fricking place down) 

But, I don't want to use an Ash to turn my Akvasto into an OP crit machine, I want to use 'em with every Warframe without worrying that I'm missing out on a status chance boost offered to me by another frame.

Unless you're talking about melee only. I Still have a problem with that though.

Warframe-specific buffs would unbalance everything. Is added crit damage better than regular damage? Crit only happens every few hits whereas you have regular, lower damage going on each hit.

It's too much raig fuel.

It'd also be too much 'deplznerf' thread fuel.