Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Too Much Visual Noise In The Mod Inventory

Wellwisher

So initially the new graphics for the mods ist pretty neat, however after I gathered a page full of them and tried to look for a specific one I found the new style rather annoying.

The problem is that the screenshots don't really convey the use of the mod, the names are only Semi-descriptive.

I think it would be nice if we could just get the option of using a more minimalist display (either similar to the old mods, or with simple, yet descriptive pictures and names).

EDIT: Just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry about that.

Edited by Wellwisher

In addition, since players can't equip more than one mod of a type, the equip screen should only show 1 of each available mod type and then a number showing how many duplicates there are. There is absolutely no reason to repeat the mistakes already made, where players have to sort through 25 pages of +5 loot radar mods in order to find the one they want to equip. One slot per mod and you could probably fit them all on the same screen.

In addition, since players can't equip more than one mod of a type, the equip screen should only show 1 of each available mod type and then a number showing how many duplicates there are. There is absolutely no reason to repeat the mistakes already made, where players have to sort through 25 pages of +5 loot radar mods in order to find the one they want to equip. One slot per mod and you could probably fit them all on the same screen.

This applies to the Fusion cores even more so, as of right now they are nothing more then a special crafting material. Nano-spores and Neurodes get stacked ...so these should as well.

The only problem with this, is that in it's current state, you can't boost a mod you're using without unequipping it, thusly adding it to the "stack" you're proposing.

I totally agree that what we have is visually appealing at first, but tough to muddle through.

Perhaps a clearer difference between the rarity border colors, and continued work on the filtering options.

Whatever you decide - keep up the great work. LOVE the progression here.

Wellwisher. Shift click them.

Weird, for some reason i thought i already tried that, thanks. Anyways, the more mods i acquire the more annoying this becomes, i really hope DE does something about it, even if its just a simple list without any fancy visuals.

I don't think the noise is the problem, but the way they design the UI. Have a seperate tab for fusion cores and cards. Catergorize each tab further by having a powers tab, rifle tab, pistol tab, and melee tab. Then with the current sorting function, it will be very easy to locate the exact item you are looking for.

Good point about visual noise, something minimalist would be great. There was a lot of hard work put into the visual representation of the cards, but I would rather that effort have gone into beefing up the core gameplay rather than something purely cosmetic. Really it shouldn't be a card metaphor in the first place, that conjures all sorts of rather negative connotations in the light of Warframe's uber cool techno organic aesthetics.

Good point about visual noise, something minimalist would be great. There was a lot of hard work put into the visual representation of the cards, but I would rather that effort have gone into beefing up the core gameplay rather than something purely cosmetic. Really it shouldn't be a card metaphor in the first place, that conjures all sorts of rather negative connotations in the light of Warframe's uber cool techno organic aesthetics.

You can't have artists beefing up core gameplay, they are not gameplay designers or programmers. You have to give them something to work on, or all they could do is to make more cosmetic stuff.

So are you saying all of those are in the backorder because the artists been busy desiging cards?

Basically I'm not sure about the card metaphor at all, for me it's kind of a turn off but I will give it time. I would rather the effort that went into the card's 2.5D visual have gone into something else, not speaking for everyone of course, just aligning with the OP's thoughts.

Basically I'm not sure about the card metaphor at all, for me it's kind of a turn off but I will give it time. I would rather the effort that went into the card's 2.5D visual have gone into something else, not speaking for everyone of course, just aligning with the OP's thoughts.

That's fine. I didn't have much thought into what you mean by cards as a metaphor, but I do think the game lack art in general, and it is nice to see we have these awesome cards, rather than those mods icons. But as players / testers, we have no idea what DE has in store for the game in the future. It is always easy to say, "Oh you should put more resource into gameplay / bug fixing / UI / comestics / netcode, etc instead of anything else", when in reality, it doesn't work that way.

I don't think the noise is the problem, but the way they design the UI. Have a seperate tab for fusion cores and cards. Catergorize each tab further by having a powers tab, rifle tab, pistol tab, and melee tab. Then with the current sorting function, it will be very easy to locate the exact item you are looking for.

I agree that the inferace need work, a lot of work, but doing that will take quite some time. Even if they do what you propose you would be presented with an array of borderline arbitrary pictures and names.

The cards are nice to look at but impractical. This is especially so when you consider that you have to look through your mdos frequently due to the new fusing system. If DE wants them to look pretty they could just add a tab to your profile page that shows all mods you have and their level in a pretty way.

I agree that the inferace need work, a lot of work, but doing that will take quite some time. Even if they do what you propose you would be presented with an array of borderline arbitrary pictures and names.

The cards are nice to look at but impractical. This is especially so when you consider that you have to look through your mdos frequently due to the new fusing system. If DE wants them to look pretty they could just add a tab to your profile page that shows all mods you have and their level in a pretty way.

The cards themsevles give the information quite clear from my experience. As long as they are sorted in groups, and given time to for your brain to memorize the names, you can find what you want right away. At least I don't have to scroll my cursor over to read the tooltip. In a glance you can tell which is which, more importantly in fusing, your first priority is to fuse the duplicate ones. With cards, you can tell right away how many of those you have, with proper sorting. And when you are fusing, you already have in mind which card you are looking to fuse, surely you will remember the name of the card. Once again the problems can be solved with a proper UI. Time is not an issue, especially so when they might overhaul the system a bit given the current state of it.

The cards themsevles give the information quite clear from my experience. As long as they are sorted in groups, and given time to for your brain to memorize the names, you can find what you want right away. At least I don't have to scroll my cursor over to read the tooltip. In a glance you can tell which is which, more importantly in fusing, your first priority is to fuse the duplicate ones. With cards, you can tell right away how many of those you have, with proper sorting. And when you are fusing, you already have in mind which card you are looking to fuse, surely you will remember the name of the card. Once again the problems can be solved with a proper UI. Time is not an issue, especially so when they might overhaul the system a bit given the current state of it.

Of course you can eventually memorize the names/pictures, that doesnt make it any more convenient. If all the card just had a number instead of a name/picture you could also memorize those, but i doubt you would be fine with that.

Fusing does reduce the clutter... to an extend, but even after just playing for a couple of hours I already have several pages full of individual mods. Right now the implemented system is style over substance, and just because you can get used to a suboptimal system that doesnt excuse it, at least not for everybody.

Don't get me wrong, there might very well be people who prefer the flashy cards over a more simplistic style, but I (and at least a few other if this thread is anything to go by) would prefer a more usability oriented option. As I said, the implementation of a simple list would do it for me.