Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mod Concepts Lists.

Kinperor

So I did some musing over what kind of mods would be interesting to add to the game without being flat stat increase, like what we have currently. I came up with the following wall of text (values are not fixed in stone):

Warframe mods: Note; most of these augments weapon stats in order to give more builds to Frames, ranging from tanks, supports and all the way to dedicated gunomancer.

• Disproportionate response: Upon taking damage, weapon damage increases substantially for a short period (about 3 or 5 seconds, no cool down). Max 5 level, 10% bonus damage per level (60% max). Being hit when the effect is active refreshes the buff.

• Weight optimization: Trade a percentage of armor in exchange for bonus ammo capacity for primary weapon. Max 3 level, 10% difference per level (40% max). Even trade. 

• Confidence: Firing speed and accuracy are increased after a kill for a short period (about 5 seconds). Max 3 level,  10% per level (40% max). Kills mid-buff refreshes the buff.

• Best defense: Killing an enemy who dealt health damage to you returns a portion of the HP you lost over time (IE like Renewal). Max 4 level, 10% of the damage taken per level (50% max). The name is a reference to the idiom "the best defense is offence", but I'm not sure it fits all that well. EDIT: Simplified the HOT to be on kill instead of on damage.

• Emergency capacitor: Taking critical shield damage (either the shields are down or about to be) causes your Warframe to consume more stamina per action (sprint, melee, etc) and uses the extra stamina to regenerate your shields (IE using 15 more stamina than normal will give 15 shield points). Max 3 level, 50% more stamina consumed per level (max 200%). Stamina mods would go great with that, wouldn't it?

• Righteous retaliation: Enemies that attack your allies are more susceptible to your CC (including status procs) and damage. Max 4 level, flat CC debuff, 15% bonus damage per level (75% max). Works on abilities and weapons.

• Overkill: First strikes on an enemy will deal massive bonus damage (only apply on first strike). Max 5 level, 15% per level (90% max). I personally would make it apply only to abilities, otherwise it's a stupidly strong Focus/Blind Rage. Anyone got balance thought about this one? Not so sure about the name either.

• Torment: Status proc from abilities (IE Contagion toxic proc, Fireball, anything that slashes, Impact/Blast procs) lasts longer. Max 3 level, 50% per level (200% max). With CC procs, you're obviously extending the time. The DOT procs normally deal twice the original damage over time, so you're looking at something like 4 time the original damage of a skill like Fireball, but over time. 

• Towering stature: Reduces damages from mobs that have less BASE health than you have TOTAL health (base health on your average garden variety mobs varies between 80-700, including heavies). Max 3 rank, 10% damage reduction per level (40% max). That level of damage reduction is really high, considering similar mods, but the point is it gotta be strong enough to be worth it.

• Deception: Being hit by an enemy grants a short invisibility period and speed boost, making the enemy lose sight and confusing him (accuracy debuff). Once the invisibility fades or is broken by the user, a 5 second cooldown starts. Max 3 level, 0.5 invisible second per level (max 2 seconds) and flat 20% movement speed. I was thinking of adding a damage bonus after the cloak is done, but I think that might make the mod too strong. It's basically meant to be a "blink" mod, not a substitute for Shade or the ninja frames.

• Close quarter: Being very close to an enemy confers bonus weapon damage and damage reduction. Max 3 level, 5% per level (20% bonus damage AND damage reduction). Both stats together are pretty strong, hence the low-ish percentage.

• Half the battle: Bonus damage from all sources against enemies that are well-documented in the player's codex. Max 3 level, 5% per level (20% max). 

• Team spirit: Allies hit by an ability (AOE, buffs, targeted abilities, doesn't need to affect the player directly) receives extra shield points. Max 4 level, 50 shield points per level (max 250). Isn't permanent, IE when the teammate loses his bonus shield, he cannot regenerate it without another ability cast from you. MAYBE boosted by power strength.

• Living armor: Collecting health orbs while having full health gives you a flat amount of armor. Max 10 level, 3 armor points per level (max 33). That means that you get 33 flat armor per extra health orb. I want to see this happen, just to see what happens with a Nekros/Oberon/Valkyr team comp. Not percentile in order to make it more accessible, even to frames with little armor. 

• Imposing presence: Killing an enemy makes the other nearby enemies panic, forcing them to retreat or otherwise leave cover. Range of effect is 20 meters from frame, max 3 level, each level allow you to make more enemies panic (max 4 enemies panicking at once because of a kill). 

• Short temper: Being hit by an enemy in melee range while charging a melee attack dramatically lowers the charge time. Not quite sure how you would calculate that and apply levels. My shot at it would be to make the "charge" period of the weapon finish instantly when hit, and the mod wouldn't be able to level. I'm considering adding a damage reduction portion to the "charge" period.  Obviously advantages the charge melee weapons. 

• Healthy violence: Add bonus melee damage on each hits based on total health. Max 5 level, 2,5% of total health turned into damage per level (max 15%). For instance, a frame with 100 health would get 15 bonus base damage on his melee (elemental mods will stack from the 15 bonus damage). A frame with 1000 health would get 150 bonus base damage on each hit. This mod is meant to give an edge to the melee based on attack speed. 150 would get proportionally spread over the 3 physical damage type, IE a melee with 5/5/15 IPS would receive 20% of the bonus on both Impact and Puncture, with the remaining 60% going to Slash, for a final score of 35/35/105 for a frame with 1000 health. 

• Warm-up: Gives bonus Power Strength on abilities every time an ability is cast. Max 3 level, 2% power strength per ability cast per level (max 8% per ability, with a possibility of 4 stacks to reach 36% bonus PS). Deliberately at 2%, so that it's better than Focus at max potential without just blowing it out of the water. I'd give a short duration to the buff (like 2 or 3 seconds) that is refreshed by ability cast, to make it less of a "MUST CAST ABILITIES 24/7 TO MAINTAIN BONUS" and more of a "I've cast 4 abilities, BEHOLD MY FINAL FORM!". 

• Adrenaline: Taking health damage boosts stamina regen. It adds flat regen so that it can even override the stamina consumption of whatever you are doing (running, dodging, etc) when maxed. I don't know the values, I can't put a number on it. I can't decide either if it should be a major mod at 10 ranks or a lower one. 

• Re-purposing: Trade a percentage of shields for bonus Power Strength. Max 3 level, 10% difference per level (max 40%). Yo dawg I heard you liked glass cannons...

• Unyielding: Puncture damage gets further reduced after being reduced. Max 5 level, 10% per level (max 60%). Basically a mod in response to the enemy's overwhelming puncture capacities.

-----

Well, that was a wall-full. I was planning to do a list for weapons, but I'll cut short for now. Maybe I'll make a second thread or something. 

Anyway, I'm curious to know what you guys think: Would you use these mods? Do you think one these mods would overshadow all the other mods in existence? Is there a mod you think would be boring? What about the names, are they appropriate/awesome? 

Don't be shy about commenting.

Edited by Kinperor

I dig all of these. I mean, some are probably in need of tweaking (from a DEveloper's standpoint and I'm not one) but as I said, they're good for a first read-through. The one thing I might say is that these would all be great as new additions to the Aura Mod pool. If that meant that they'd need changing to some degree, fine, but the general ideas are super! Good job!

Disproportionate Response: Basically and inverted Beserker. Still good though.

Weight Optimization: Just to be clear, armor level is reduced and ammo capacity is increase, even trade?

Confidence: Simply Awesome.

Best Defense: Not clear. Is the HP returned on a per strike basis as a percentage of the HP lost per each strike of the enemy? If the enemy hits you 3 times, and you return 3 hits, do you get like 50% of HP lost from each the enemy's strikes?

Emergency Capacitor: Seems ok.

Righteous Retaliation: Seems ok.

Overkill: I would renamed it to something having to do w/ Ambushing.

Torment: Seems ok.

Towering Stature: Not sure about this one. Not that it's bad, just not sure about it.

Deception: I love this one. I would definitely alternate this and a melee mod for my Ash. It might make Shade a bit confused though.

Close Enemy: See Deception. "Close Quarters" is a better name.

Half the Battle: Great and very clever, both in name and ability. Alternate title "Knowledge is Power" or "Hindsight."

Team Presence: Seems ok. Not to keen on it. Better names, "Team Spirit" or "For the Team."

Living Armor: seems under powered as armor is a disposable trait for anything but tanks and how often do you have full health in the middle of a busy fight like Survival/Defense, especially as a tank. Just saying.

Imposing Presence: I would limit it to only charged attacks or ground finishers (as death blows) as this could become annoying if all enemies kept running away, triggering alarms and/or just alerting the whole level/area you're in with every normal kill.

Short Temper: I like this idea. Adding in tiers (like up to 100% fully leveled) might not be bad. Also if your going to just keep it at a no tier mod, maybe add in knockdown resistance or something like that?

Healthy Violence: Love this! I would name it Violent Tendencies but Healthy Violence is good.

Warm-Up: Like this idea. Just curious as to how you would have it work w/ abilities like smoke screen/invisibility as power strength does nothing for them. I would also rename it to "Muscle Memory" or something like that.

Adrenaline: Seems like a good idea. Definitely good for melee based frames/ Would it be like the stamina version of Best Defense?

Re-purposing: I guess some people would choose to re-purpose. Not keen on sacrificing shields though, maybe armor or something else.

Unyielding: I would add in some kind of armor boost. Just seems too plain alone.

Weight Optimization: Just to be clear, armor level is reduced and ammo capacity is increase, even trade?

Yes, even trade. 

Best Defense: Not clear. Is the HP returned on a per strike basis as a percentage of the HP lost per each strike of the enemy? If the enemy hits you 3 times, and you return 3 hits, do you get like 50% of HP lost from each the enemy's strikes?

Mhh, when you put it that way, it does sound confusing. For simplicity's sake, I think it'd be better if it's on-kill, and you regain like 50% of the health you lost to said enemy.

Alternatively, maybe a flat health regen when you attack an enemy that damage you? Like say, you get 50/100/150 over time after attacking an enemy that dealt you health damage? Still sounds kinda complicated for nothing, I'd roll with the solution above. 

Overkill: I would renamed it to something having to do w/ Ambushing.

I see where you're coming from, but I can't figure out another name for the life of mine. "Surprise element"? Sounds kinda cliche. I'll think of something just when I stop trying, just you watch...  

Towering Stature: Not sure about this one. Not that it's bad, just not sure about it.

What makes you unsure? The values? The idea behind the mod? How it calculates? 

Deception: I love this one. I would definitely alternate this and a melee mod for my Ash. It might make Shade a bit confused though.

Perso I'd make Shade's cloak (and any invisibility) override Deception and turn the mod "off" for the duration. 

Close Enemy: See Deception. "Close Quarters" is a better name.

Agree, "Close Quarter" sounds better. I came up with the name based on the "keep your friends close, and your enemy closer" idiom, but Close Quarter communicates the intent better. 

Half the Battle: Great and very clever, both in name and ability. Alternate title "Knowledge is Power" or "Hindsight."

I like the simplicity of "Hindsight", but it's kinda weird for a mod based on preparation before the battle, no? "Foresight" maybe? I'm attached to "Half the battle" myself, obviously. 

Team Presence: Seems ok. Not to keen on it. Better names, "Team Spirit" or "For the Team."

Team Spirit does flow better. 

Living Armor: seems under powered as armor is a disposable trait for anything but tanks and how often do you have full health in the middle of a busy fight like Survival/Defense, especially as a tank. Just saying.

I don't quite think it's under powered, I would say "very niche". In a proper defense or survival, if you have a Nekros with you (or are one yourself), you can stack a lot of health balls preemptively, and Valkyr could potentially boost said armor. 

Imposing Presence: I would limit it to only charged attacks or ground finishers (as death blows) as this could become annoying if all enemies kept running away, triggering alarms and/or just alerting the whole level/area you're in with every normal kill.

Well, obviously you would remove the mod on stealth run. I'm of the opinion that mods shouldn't be suited for every situation, making this one a good one when going all gun blazing. 

Short Temper: I like this idea. Adding in tiers (like up to 100% fully leveled) might not be bad. Also if your going to just keep it at a no tier mod, maybe add in knockdown resistance or something like that?

I see how resistance to knock down would be very good for this mod, but I just so happen to think it might be worth making a different mod for knockdown resistance, that can be used by anyone (as opposed to being tied to a charge-attack mod).

The issue with percentage on this mod is that I don't know how adding charge speed mid-charge would react. Would it accelerate the rest of the charge? Would it give the bonus charge speed stat, but only apply on the next charge attack? That kind of stuff. 

Warm-Up: Like this idea. Just curious as to how you would have it work w/ abilities like smoke screen/invisibility as power strength does nothing for them. I would also rename it to "Muscle Memory" or something like that.

Obviously not every power profits from Power Strength, I thought up of this mod as one for Casters. IMO, it's good that not every frame needs/wants a mod, because otherwise it would be a must-have, and that runs against what I'd like the mods to be about (diversity). As for the name, I definitely see merit in "Muscle Memory", but I imagined this mod to enable moments where casters use their 1s to prime their ult, essentially being a crescendo of raw damage, if that makes sense. Hence, "Warm-up".  

Adrenaline: Seems like a good idea. Definitely good for melee based frames/ Would it be like the stamina version of Best Defense?

You could call it the alternative of Best Defense, I guess, but it wasn't explicitly made with that intention. 

Re-purposing: I guess some people would choose to re-purpose. Not keen on sacrificing shields though, maybe armor or something else.

Well, it's the point of this ability: trading something useful for something that could potentially be even more useful. That way, people can make the choice between "dealing ALL the damage" or "deal ok damage and survive". 

Unyielding: I would add in some kind of armor boost. Just seems too plain alone.

Not sure myself. Bonus armor would be appreciated by tanks, but I don't want to make it a mod that everyone mindlessly equips to survive better against the Corpus (who have a lot of puncture). I want it to have synergy with tank builds, is what I'm saying, not be a stand-alone. Definitely a though call.

I'd say adding armor would be a safe move.  

See in quote. Basically, you raise good points.

Just keep in mind that some of those are intended to go to pure supports or pure tanks: for instance, the Team Presence mod (or Team Spirit) would be great for a player who wants to help his team but isn't all that good with dealing tons of damage or stuff like that. 

Edited by Kinperor

See in quote. Basically, you raise good points.

Just keep in mind that some of those are intended to go to pure supports or pure tanks: for instance, the Team Presence mod (or Team Spirit) would be great for a player who wants to help his team but isn't all that good with dealing tons of damage or stuff like that. 

I figured that some of the mods would be role specific, but I use an Ash frame, so I will come from a supportive/offensive view point innately, at least most of the time. That and someone in the forums brought up the point that the mods/abilities provided from them are supposed to be less frame specific and more user based (play style/role, more than specific frame). Meaning, if you wanted to deck out a Rhino like and Ash/damage dealer (minus the smoke screen oriented buffs), you could. You don't have to be pigeon-holed into a specific role because of the frame you choose. Apparently, this is the mind-frame of the DEvelopers, or so I heard. That's all.

BTW: I get them all now and you have done a fine job. Well done, sir!

Edited by (PS4)GR13V4NC3

So, finally came around to writing a bit more:

Warframe:

• Last stand: Shield damage from the front takes less damage, but attacks from behind deals more damage. Max 10 level, 5% less damage from the front and 3% more from behind per level (55% and 33% damage respectively). The idea of the mod is of course to allow for aggressive face offs with enemies, as opposed to quick hit and runs. This, along with Puncture's proc, might make for very hard-to-kill frames.

• Vanguard: Allies in trouble boosts the speed of the frame (more than Rush). Max 3 level, 10% bonus speed when allies are in trouble (max 40%). What procs the effect: Downed allies or allies that get health damage.  Speaks for itself, I think. 

• Intrusion: Increases the time needed for enemies to start the alarm. Max 5 levels, 1 sec per level (max 6 seconds). I actually think "Intruder" should be modified to do that instead, but I guess both mods can exist in harmony. 

• Heavy handed: Armor increases proc chance on melee weapon. Max 3 level, 15 % per level (max 60%). I'm the first to admit that procs are currently in a bad spot and that armor is also not really useful all around, but I think it could be interesting for some niche builds for CC. 

• Reactive defenses: Enemy procs chances are reduced by a flat amount, outright negating small proc chances and reducing high proc chances. Max 4 levels, 4% flat reduce per level (max 20%). Pretty effective as a mean to not get poisoned or bleed dry. I don't know the actual values, but 20% sounds about right for that (it's Grakata's base proc chance).

• Dance macabre: Low health boost armor and health regen effects. Max 5 levels, 20% armor and regen increase per level max, this is the maximum effect you can hope to have at 25% health remaining (max 120% bonus armor and regen when on the brink of death). Regen boosts health orbs, Renewal, health restore items, Self-heal like Valkyr's ult and Rejuvenation, along with future possible healing abilities. This mod is perfect if you're planning to dance on the fine line between death and life.  

Weapon mods: (Note: unless stated other wise, they have equivalent version across every weapons)

•  
  • Thousand cuts: Suppress physical procs other than Slash's to increases the latter's proc rate. Max 3 levels, 50% bonus proc chance per levels (200% max). That weapon can't deal Impact or Puncture status effects, but it should be fun for the sadistic bastards who like making things bleed beyond measures.

• Suppression: Suppress physical procs other than Puncture to increase the latter's potency. Max 3 levels, 5% flat damage output reduction on the affected enemy (max 20%) and 1 additional second to the debuff's duration (max 4 seconds). That weapon can't deal Impact or Slash status effects, but it should now reduce enemy damage per 45% instead of 25%. More duration to compensate for the lower relative proc chance to Slash (and Impact, that follows). A properly modded gun could suppress a whole crowd that way.

• Heft: Suppress physical procs other than Impact to make Impact proc every time a percentage of the weapons' Impact damage is dealt.  Max 3 levels, 50% of the base damage required to proc Impact, decreases with levels ('max' 20%). By surrendering the other status effect, this weapon is now assured to proc Impact whenever it deals enough damage to do so. Maybe needs some readjusting in how the value is decided, the point is just that you get an assured proc for dealing enough Impact damage, either in one shot or in several bullets. 

• Deep infection: Proc chance on toxin damage increases with the amount of Slash damage on a weapon. Max 4 levels, 5% of slash damage per level (max 25%). Not sure about the value of this one: Obviously high slash damage weapons are really favored for eccentric builds, but it kinda shafts weapons that are slash but do not have a huge per hit slash damage. You get the idea of the mod.

• Conduit: A portion of excess electric damage always arc (IE whenever you kill someone with electricity, but dealt more than his max health, you will proc electricity's effect). Max 4 levels, arc damage is 10% per level (max 50%). This means that at most, 50% of the excess damage you dealt is assured to jump. Normal procs can still happen. Questionable mod at high level, hilarious mod for the rest. 

• Concentrated learning: A percentage of excess exp is redirected toward the weapon with this mod equipped. Max 3 level, 5% per level (max 20%). This mods speaks for itself. Fantastic for leveling, terrible for playing!

• Pillage (melee): Kills with the weapon that has this mod has a bonus chance to drop loot when this mod is equipped. Max 3 levels, 15% per level (60% max). Don't look at me like that, I can't be the only one who wants every chance to get that freaking rare drop.

That one was fortunately shorter.