Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Concept In Progress] Grineer Warframe - Art, Abilities, And Stats Included!

Civilized_Barcode

*Update 2 - Added some new abilities to decide upon and made some minor tweaks to ability order and the balance of ability 3 (now 1), "Round Combustion".  New Ults : "GRINEER DIPLOMACY/DON'T FUK WITH RUK" and "BRED FOR VICTORY!"

*Update 1 - Changed the thread title to be more descriptive, as well as editing the stats to be more balanced. Names were added too!

Eventually, I'll decide on a name, attempt to make better quality concept art (maybe even -gasp- in color!) of the frame and post it in a finalized post. That won't be for a while now.

My last attempt at making a good concept of a Grineer/Tenno hybrid warframe was both born and declared dead on the same day. It had these weird-looking stilt legs, so it technically wasn't a suit, and it looked like a cyborg version of the Hostage you save in the rescue missions, because I thought at the time that the Tenno were still human. 

Yeah, it ended quick. 

So, this time I have a new rough concept and hope to hear some feedback, both on the artwork/concept itself and the skills/stats below until I've got a working concept that, if ever implemented should DE need ideas for a new frame, will be here. 

Also, because I think Grineer stuff is cool. I ain't gonna lie - a huge part of this was done just for "rule of cool". I think the Grineer have a badass aesthetic going for them and would like to see some kind of warframe have some of it tacked on to them - even if all my other ideas get scrapped. 

== Ideas behind the current design == :

Basically, I saw the Valkyr concepts and said (not out loud) "Huh, a Corpus-altered warframe, what a neat idea -I wonder what a Grineer counterpart would be..." And thus kind of originally designed it as a sort of opposite, or "anti"-Valkyr. Valkyr focuses on melee and close combat: my concept focuses on guns and projectiles; Valkyr looks like parts of her were removed with surgical precision: mine looks like chunks were added to it clumsily and haphazardly; Valkyr is a female frame; mine is a male frame; Valkyr is a fast berserker type: mine hangs around back, being slow and tanky, but distanced - like grineer artillery. Plus some other small subtle bits and stupid presumptions, but I think you get the idea - if Valkyr is a rhetorical cat; this one is a dog in relation.  

Also, I made it look like the Nemesis from Resident Evil on purpose. A lot of "Inspiration" (i.e. plagiarism) came from it's design.

Any-who - TERRIBLE PENCIL ART! - The most recent is in the top spoiler; if you have any criticism of my current aesthetic or the bad quality of the medium - say something and I'll see if I can illustrate with my flipper-handed-freak-child drawing skills. (abilities/stats are below, under the sh*tty fan art)

== Concept Art == :

New concept:

scan0003.jpg

Old concepts: 

scan0003.jpg 

Ha ha ha, look at those stumpy little legs!:

scan0004.jpg 

== ABILITIES == :

(The names are all placeholders: drawing isn't the only thing I suck at, apparently) They're numbered, but they are by no means in order - I'm not too sure which to declare an "ult" or which have more priority or power cost over the others. Numbered; Ult still debatable. I was kind of hoping you guys could help with that. Each skill is supposed to be a shout-out to an aspect of the Grineer or some relation to bullets & ammunition.

1.) "ROUND COMBUSTION": Upon activation, all the ammunition currently in enemy weapons explodes, dealing an incredible amount of (I decided to tone this down to keep it from being OP, instead I think I'll just keep this to being directly proportional to the weapon's damage and the number of rounds in the magazine) explosion (bullet weapons)/Magnetic (energy weapons)/ Whatever the damage the weapon inflicts. I would try to base this off of whatever damage the weapon does, multiplied by the size of the magazine. This occurs in an area of effect radius, and boosting the ability will affect the power's range and the damage dealt by the explosions (which have their own radius). Also terrible in infested maps.  

2.) "LEAD EATER" or "EAT LEAD!", or "AMMO ABSORPTION": For a duration of time your shield absorbs all projectile attacks and converts into ammunition (for all weapons). No damage is taken from absorbed shots. Boosting this ability increases the amount of ammo absorbed, it starts off at 100% and boosting it will increase it past that.  (This is supposed to make him great at tanking in Grineer/Corpus levels, but terrible in pure Infested maps or against sawmen/prod crew/etc.)

3.) "NEVER STOP SHOOTING!" or "LEAD WIND": For a duration of time you and your allies gain increased magazine size and fire rate. Boosting this ability increases both mag size and FR (This was moved from ability 1 because it is more of a team skill than an offensive power).  

Ults :

4.) "WE HAVE RESERVES" or "CLONE DEGENERATION": Summons two or three one or maybe two (which ever is less OP) holographic clones of you (a la Loki's Deception) that each have a copy of your equipped weapons. They are AI controlled and thus act independently of you - Like the Grineer, these clones are controlled by the game's crappy AI, and are not capable of friendly fire, thus they are worse and can't be expected to maneuver like you (literally, a crappier version of you - just like Grineer cloning!), so no additional coding for AI needs to be done. Boosting this ability increases the number of clones (at max rank, by only one more if only one allowed when the ability is unranked), their health (based off of a certain a percentage of your own) and their duration. (Someone told me this may be too much like what Nekros does, so I thought up another alt below)

Or (NEW!)

4.) "GRINEER PROPAGANDA" or "DEPLOY REGULATOR" or "BRED FOR VICTORY": Summons a personal Grineer Regulator (those things that look like the informers) that closely follows you and buffs you and your party. Any kills made by party members within range of the regulator boosts gun damage, armor values, adds/boosts weapon punch-through, and reload speed for a limited amount of time. However, the initial amount upon summoning and the amount boosted is a very small number, meaning that many, many kills are needed. Also the regulator, as the buffs increasingly stack up, draws more and more aggro to it, meaning that at higher kill counts you will have to increasingly defend it. It's health and shields will also be based on a percentage of your own. Boosting this skill will increase the kill buff rates, the range of the regulator (how close you and others will need to be to it in order to get buffed), and it's health/shields. 

Or (NEW!)

4.) "GRINEER DIPLOMACY" or "DON'T FUK WITH RUK!" : Summons a (small) orbital bombardment (if indoors, it looks like it's punching through the ceiling) for a certain amount of time (not very long, but not too short - whatever would be fair). The artillery shells quickly strike random spots within a large area around the Tenno that randomly deals high amounts of either blast, viral, toxic, fire, gas, corrosive, or radiation damage per rocket (These elements in particular, to give the impression that the Grineer have no qualms about committing war crimes or using "dirty bombs" indiscriminately). Which damage type each rocket deals is randomly chosen and the proc chance of each one should be pretty high. Boosting this ability increases artillery damage, proc chance, the blast radius of each rocket, and the duration the artillery strike continues. (Should I also include the AoE radius; would that be too OP?)

== STATS == :

This, I'm the least confident about. I'm not entirely sure what stats will work for the play style I'm imagining for this guy, so this may be something else worth looking into.

Health: 100 (200 at rank 30) - Like the Grineer, he is actually kind of squishy, despite being a tank. However, this is compensated for by... 85, which by rank 30 will be 255 - I don't know math.

Armor: 400 (maybe 500?) - Also like the grineer, his wimpy rank 30 health is backed up by superior armor, which gets factored into being "effective health". 200 any good (10 more armor points than Rhino)? My last value was ridiculous. 

Power: 100 (200 at rank 30) - More energy than a regular tank, due to what I imagine would be his dependency on his bullet absorption ability in end-game Grineer/Corpus levels, since his shields (below) will be crap. 130 (195 at rank 30), also bad math.

Shield Capacity: 125 (300 375 at rank 30) - Grineer shields are pretty crappy. While still better than most "caster" warframes, I expect him to be dependent on his second ability to not get wiped in later levels.  Since I can't have something like 500 armor for obvious reasons, I'll have to bring this up. 

Stamina: 80 - It seemed pretty standard for a warframe.

Sprint Speed: 1.0 - faster than a Rhino (0.9) but slower than Valkyr (1.15). Seems fair, what with all the grineer tech weighing on his left side.

== A NAME == :

If you've noticed, I never named my concept in this entire post, just referring to it as "this guy", "him", "it", etc. I've got several - in my first concept, I called it "Polyphemus" or "Stheno", to keep up with the Grineer naming everything after monsters from Greek mythology. I then thought of naming it after a bullet, or just "Bullet" in a different language, but I thought that was way too edgy, plus it would look pretty stupid in whatever region this game gets localized to that happens to use whatever language it would have been named in.  

"Mortar"? Nah, that's hardly any better. 

As seen in the abilities section, I'm not very good with names, so if anyone's got any cool ones, feel free to shout them out! 

So far: 

Polyphemus : Cyclops blinded by Ulysses in The Odyssey.  

SthenoSister gorgon (ha ha, get it?) of Medusa. 

Ryklav : "Valkyr" spelled backwards. I'm an idiot for not coming up with that on my own.

Sobaka : "Dog" in Russian - What Alad V calls Sargas Ruk. 

Rostung : Slight misspelling of "Rustung" - "Armor" in German. If the current armor value of 200 is OK, then that would give him the thickest armor of all the current frames. Not very original though, I admit. 

Typhon : A pretty big monster in Greek mythology.

Manticore : Pretty common monster/mythology-related name. 

Porphyrion : Greek myth - king of the giants. 

Karkinos : More Greek mythology. Refers to a certain crab. 

Edited by Civilized_Barcode

Tip on the stats, only the beginning stats for a frame matter. The level 30 stats all seem to be pre-determined by basic mathematics. For Shields and Health, you get a 3x multiplier from your starting amount (100 Health at 1 = 300 Health at 30; 125 Shields at 1 = 375 Shields at 30). Power same thing, but instead of a 3x multiplier its only a 1.5x multiplier (100 power at 1 = 150 power at 30). Also Armor might want to be brought down a bit, maybe to Rhino or Frost levels, especially with stats like that which would put most Warframes to shame.

Tip on the stats, only the beginning stats for a frame matter. The level 30 stats all seem to be pre-determined by basic mathematics. For Shields and Health, you get a 3x multiplier from your starting amount (100 Health at 1 = 300 Health at 30; 125 Shields at 1 = 375 Shields at 30). Power same thing, but instead of a 3x multiplier its only a 1.5x multiplier (100 power at 1 = 150 power at 30). Also Armor might want to be brought down a bit, maybe to Rhino or Frost levels, especially with stats like that which would put most Warframes to shame.

I didn't know that - exactly why I wanted feedback in the first place, thank you.  

I thought stat progression was predetermined and what you got per level was only dependent on how DE wanted them to progress. 

Any-who - TERRIBLE PENCIL ART! - The most recent is in the top spoiler; if you have any criticism of my current aesthetic or the bad quality of the medium - say something and I'll see if I can illustrate with my flipper-handed-freak-child drawing skills. (abilities/stats are below, under the sh*tty fan art)

DUDE, you are selling yourself short with that kind of art. Perfectly fits the Grineer and Tenno properties, not to mention this is not at all "TERRIBLE PENCIL ART!"

Also, great concept of a Frame, was wondering why Corpus(Valkyr) and the Infested(Saryn) got Warframes dedicated to them when the Grineer, the main enemy, didn't. Great ideas for powers, but the ult seems like Nekros part 2. Like the idea for the 1, maybe should get switched with a downgraded version of the 3, as it is a team buff. Second power is perfect. pretty much Iron Skin, but has its faults(melee) and strengths(Ammo absorption). All in all, if we do see a Grineer-based Warframe, THIS SHOULD BE IT!!!

Please not Ryklav. As much as it sound like a Grineer word, it's just so damn bad. Valkyr's already based on something real anyways, why twist that into S#&$? So for a name, here's something I literally just thought of, "Blut", the German word for "blood", as in "blood and iron". The Grineer empire reminds me a lot of several of the frightening war machines Germany possessed historically, and "Blut" itself has the kind of blunt-sound to it that most Grineer words seem to have. So it seems to me like a fitting name for this Grineer-designed machine of war.

Everything else though, the design, the powers, it sounds awesome.  Round Combustion sounds like Shield Polarize, mostly in that it could scale really awesomely into higher levels. The Ult, I think it'd be better if the clones were simply extensions of you, to effectively multiply your volume of fire by a lot, forming some type of instantly-cloned firing line.

That's all I have to say, great idea, now take my upvote.

DUDE, you are selling yourself short with that kind of art. Perfectly fits the Grineer and Tenno properties, not to mention this is not at all "TERRIBLE PENCIL ART!"

Also, great concept of a Frame, was wondering why Corpus(Valkyr) and the Infested(Saryn) got Warframes dedicated to them when the Grineer, the main enemy, didn't. Great ideas for powers, but the ult seems like Nekros part 2. Like the idea for the 1, maybe should get switched with a downgraded version of the 3, as it is a team buff. Second power is perfect. pretty much Iron Skin, but has its faults(melee) and strengths(Ammo absorption). All in all, if we do see a Grineer-based Warframe, THIS SHOULD BE IT!!!

Regarding the first part - I'm really not: drawing is like a sport in the same sense that you need to keep practicing to stay sharp - I haven't drawn in years and my sloppiness with the anatomy, lines & etc. shows. Plus, I don't have any of the dedicated tools for online art like a digital drawing tablet/ms paint skills/etc. -so my medium has to be these sort of rough-cut scanned notebook pages due to myself being cheap.

On the second part - Eh, the "ult" is just there out of a lack of better ideas, really. I just thought "you know... to be truly Grineer this needs something-something-cloning-related...". Plus, that idea actually came from somebody else on /v/ - I went to them earlier with this concept and somebody suggested it and I thought it was great - credit actually goes to that anon. 

I thought I might limit it to one or two clones, to keep him from being a "summoner" frame like Nekros or take his niche. I might just replace that one for that reason.

Please not Ryklav. As much as it sound like a Grineer word, it's just so damn bad. Valkyr's already based on something real anyways, why twist that into S#&$? So for a name, here's something I literally just thought of, "Blut", the German word for "blood", as in "blood and iron". The Grineer empire reminds me a lot of several of the frightening war machines Germany possessed historically, and "Blut" itself has the kind of blunt-sound to it that most Grineer words seem to have. So it seems to me like a fitting name for this Grineer-designed machine of war.

Everything else though, the design, the powers, it sounds awesome.  Round Combustion sounds like Shield Polarize, mostly in that it could scale really awesomely into higher levels. The Ult, I think it'd be better if the clones were simply extensions of you, to effectively multiply your volume of fire by a lot, forming some type of instantly-cloned firing line.

That's all I have to say, great idea, now take my upvote.

Thank you, I'm still going to leave "Ryklav" up there since I said I would do that, and so nobody else later on suggests it. (But I do see your point)

I'm definitely leaning towards more Russian and Germanic words though, since Grineer language seems to take a lot of ques from the "harsh languages" (which is a nice touch, considering the corpus seem based in Latin, the father of the "romance languages").  

I might skip on "blut" since I'm trying to make the "Gun warframe" a little less edgy than it already is, but I might take your idea of a naming scheme from Germany's Von Bismarck's "Blood and Iron" era of WWI.