Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Proposed Resource Uses: New Toys!

Natesky9

In light of the recent Cicero Crisis, I've been thinking about the use of Consumables in Warframe, and they seem a bit underused. the Majority of the game relies on weapons and abilities, and with so many strong points, there's no real use for other means of protection, with many frames having invulnerability, and enemies dropping copious amounts of health, ammo, and energy.

Another common occurrence for late game is the massive accumulation of resources, especially those items that are required to manufacture weapons and frames. However, once these items are built, there is rarely any need for them again. Specifically the clan-tech materials in general, which are only needed for a small handful of weapons, and never get touched again.

So to improve both of these otherwise mundane occurrences, I propose that we add a new mechanic to the game that will lend itself to more interesting play. But first, a look at the current consumables available.

*Store-bought:                                    *Clan-Tech
-Small ammo restore                           -Medium ammo restore

-Small health restore                           -Medium health restore

Small shield restore                            -Medium shield restore 

-Small energy restore                          -Medium energy restore

These are extremely useful, minus the shield restore, but they are all situational and unnecessary due to the fact that enemies drop MORE than enough ammo, health and energy to last for days. And that means that in many missions, the only difficult part is when enemies scale too high to handle. There's no incentive to be ammo-efficient, or even avoid damage, as your shields are such a ridiculous damage buffer. Only energy is of high demand, and that's usually what keeps the pace in many games.

*Also, on a side note, I just want to point out the resources required to build these:

-Store Bought

Blueprints are reusable, and making a single unit costs 1k credits. Making a batch (10) only costs 9k, but the blueprint costs a quarter of a million. I wouldn't go with these.

The store-bought variant are made with Polymer bundles and ferrite. Okay, I guess that makes up the metal and plastic casing.... huh.

-Clan-tech

Blueprints are also reusable, although extensive dojo research has to be done in order to buy them in the first place. They're alot more potent than the small versions, and they cost 4k to build a single one. To build them in bulk (10) only costs 9k, but buying the blueprint also costs you 250k. That's only 900 credits each! Sweet deal for some investment!
So, what do you need to build them? Polymer bundles and... Nano Spores? Wait a minute, that doesn't make sense...

So, about the over-abundance of materials, you wonder? Well, since this IS a PVE game, you fight endless amounts of enemies. Some you will fight to get something specific for use in building something you want. Just like Forma and Orkin cells are especially valuable because of their uses, their rarity makes them challenging to get. However, Fieldron samples, detonite ampules, and mutagen samples are everywhere, and you only need 100 to complete everything they're used for. These resources just sorta... pile up after a while and do nothing.

So my idea is that the Fieldrons, Detonite Injectors, and Mutagen masses be made marketable for a bit more than the construction cost to allow for some profit to be made from manufacturing them. But along side of that, introduce a new consumable similar to the existing restores that is more powerful, but requires the use of these components in their construction.

And if you wanted to go a step beyond, you could make this new equipment unique, instead of making them the original pancake-style design. Some neat animations would make these things really iconic and cool.

*I know the dev's are busy with new changes, and this may not be considered, but I think that it would add alot to the game. If you guys took the time to read this all, tell me what you think, and if you would support this.

Why's that? What do you mean?

There is a demographic within the community that does not like slash procs going through shields. It usually starts with someone calling for a nerf because slash procs do too much damage, but gets hijacked by people claiming nothing should ignore shields because HP is too difficult to recoup and procs are too difficult to mitigate.

I use this bump technique too. LOL

Edited by VKhaun

There is a demographic within the community that does not like slash procs going through shields. It usually starts with someone calling for a nerf because slash procs do too much damage, but gets hijacked by people claiming nothing should ignore shields because HP is too difficult to recoup and procs are too difficult to mitigate.

I think that slash procs are unique in the fact that they go through your first defense, but in reality, shields are ridiculously strong at blocking incoming damage. And a status effect that only procs like, 5% for normal enemies is nothing if you're actually trying to avoid the bulletstorm. The only reason people scream "NERF!" is because they feel violated that they can actually be damaged by the enemy. And for a PVE game, well, some people find that violating.

Personally, the shields make me laugh. They're so broken. And yet people are so used to them, they never realize how useful they are until they're completely taken away. But I say KEEP the slash proc the way it is. It makes things fun in an otherwise repetitive game.

On a side note, screw eviscerators. They're easy to avoid, but hard to kill. It's a love-hate relationship. I go out of my way to ruin their day in every way I can. Just so I can watch them die.

I use this bump technique too. LOL

I appreciate the bump, but I really want to know people's opinion on this. I think that there needs to be more challenge to the game for better rewards, and opening up new mechanics would make this game more interesting. Also, I find that resource hoarding is a bit dull, and I think they could make some awesome economy with the resources you collect. It would make the game more than just a grind-fest

The reason nano spores are used for the clan tech ones is that they are geared towards players who have been around longer and who have a lot of nano spores according to DE's records.  This will be for a number of reasons such as Xini farming and nano spores being available on worlds/derelicts that also have sought after rarer materials such as Orokin cells and neurodes.

The only issue I've had with slash procs is the one time a frontier eviscerator looked at me funny and I was taking 60 damage a tick.  Apart from that time when my thought process was 'Oh, I'm bleeding, damn that's 60 points a time and I'm dead.' I'm fine with using a health restore.

I would be unlikely to use a consumable item that required mutagen mass/fieldron/detonite injector due to the time it would take to make just for one use.  I would never think it was the right time!  Mutagen samples/fieldron samples/detonite ampules as materials for consumables, maybe.

Opening up trading would also be nice but I can understand how DE might fear it hurting the Platinum sales if people could sell neurodes and under cut the store and that is totally fine and acceptable.  They need income from somewhere.

I would be unlikely to use a consumable item that required mutagen mass/fieldron/detonite injector due to the time it would take to make just for one use.  I would never think it was the right time!  Mutagen samples/fieldron samples/detonite ampules as materials for consumables, maybe.

Opening up trading would also be nice but I can understand how DE might fear it hurting the Platinum sales if people could sell neurodes and under cut the store and that is totally fine and acceptable.  They need income from somewhere.

No, not trading between players, I meant selling as just that. You can't trade any resources, and I think it should be kept that way. But accumulating 2600 fieldron samples is a bit unnecesary, and adding the option to sell them outright seems a bit.... lame.

But to manufacture Fieldrons/Detonite injectors to "market" to the Corpus and grineer to fund the ongoing war would be pretty cool, for a bit of profit being generated in favor for the Tenno.

(Selling these would be just like selling excess blueprints)

Fieldrons, Detonite Ampules, and Mutagen masses would still have the purchasable single-use blueprint in the dojo, but by adding the option to sell the completed product for a small profit, you would be able to gain some spare change from excess materials. Plus, they will be a component in upcoming consumables, but I'll get to that later.

There would also be other ways to get these blueprints at a much cheaper cost, however one would have to achieve a certain number of feats to unlock the purchase of these re-usable blueprints:

Fieldron Sample Blueprint:

Crack X Ciphers> 250,000 Credits

Mutagen Mass Blueprint:

Revive X Allies> 250,000 Credits

Detonite Ampule Blueprint:

(Up to change) >250,000 Credits

*These blueprints would not be used up, but require a mid-game achievement and a large sum of credits

That makes them cheaper to make, with some initial investment, and less paperwork!

All 3 components would sell for 25,000 Credits, with a blueprint cost of 15k, and a build price of 5k

Build time of 8 hours (?) and the original materials for the Fieldron

(Although it would make more sense to use rubedo in the construction instead of plastids) 

The applications of these new mechanics could still use more balancing, and I am still fleshing out the idea of using these for more improved consumables, but I want to hear everyone's opinions on having an outlet in which to dump excess resources into pocket change. Who knows? If DE ever considers adding this, maybe they can add in new and exciting ideas to this, and make more of an economy based around gear.

TL:DR>  We've got too much junk and nothing to build This would be an awesome idea for extra credits, and later on, cool gear to help us on missions!

Personally, I would pay 1 of each to deploy a personal shield osprey. This is what should replace the Large shield restore. Heck, I'd pay 10 of each to give my senteniel what the Shield ospreys have in it's weapon slot!

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy using the consumables as much as I can. It is an interresting concept that can make an unique expierence. A consumable idea I wouldnt mind seeing is one that can be placed on the ground that can transfer shields/health/stamina from enemies to you as long as both are in range of the device and it would only last for either or short duration of for a maximum amount transfered.  

I enjoy using the consumables as much as I can. It is an interresting concept that can make an unique expierence. A consumable idea I wouldnt mind seeing is one that can be placed on the ground that can transfer shields/health/stamina from enemies to you as long as both are in range of the device and it would only last for either or short duration of for a maximum amount transfered.  

While this would be a neat idea, it would be a bit too farfetched to be a consumable in regards to the ones available now. That being said, having the ability to deploy a shield osprey for the cost of a few fieldron samples would be pretty darn cool. (Don't bother with shield restores, they're not worth it, even in nightmare modes)

Even if you had the ability to sell fieldrons for a slight profit, it would benifit the game in the fact that the clan-tech resources would be in demand, and finally considered a rare resource