Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Mission Type - Stealth!

HadronVictorioso

I'd love to see a mission where stealth is a mandatory requirement, because it'd discourage people from just running through drowning everything in a flood of bullets and powers, especially since Warframe is basically about ninjas with guns in space.

Now, I'm not talking about as soon as you get spotted, it's an instant "Mission Failed". I'm talking about a mission, perhaps on the Grineer homeworld of Earth (hopefully in one of their cloning facilities), where if the enemy spots you, it becomes extremely difficult - not higher level enemies, but just swarms of them. I was playing Fossa today, and we lost the mission AFTER killing the boss because there was a crowd of 40+ Corpus in the next room making a solid wall of laser fire through the doorway.

So, say a ground mission on Earth in a Grineer cloning facility. Since there are so many Grineer, getting spotted and letting the guards sound the alarm would be a death sentence, making it extremely difficult - enemies would swarm and use pack tactics. How about: silently taking out a lone guard that's near a power duct, short-circuit or disable the power conduit, and crouch-crawl through the duct, until you can find somewhere to get in and sabotage the facility.

Yes, I know I'm talking about spy movie-esque stuff, but frankly, I'd love to see more of an emphasis on stealth in a game about frickin' NINJAS.

Lemme know what you think, thanks.

Edited by HadronVictorioso

I'd love to see a mission where stealth is a mandatory requirement, because it'd discourage people from just running through drowning everything in a flood of bullets and powers, especially since Warframe is basically about ninjas with guns in space.

Now, I'm not talking about as soon as you get spotted, it's an instant "Mission Failed". I'm talking about a mission, perhaps on the Grineer homeworld of Earth (hopefully in one of their cloning facilities), where if the enemy spots you, it becomes endless defence - but you wouldn't get anything but what the enemies drop, unlike in the missions where it is just only endless defence.

So, say a ground mission on Earth in a Grineer cloning facility. Since there are so many Grineer, getting spotted and letting the guards sound the alarm would be a death sentence, turning it into endless defence or until you abort the mission. How about: silently taking out a lone guard that's near a power duct, short-circuit or disable the power conduit, and crouch-crawl through the duct, until you can find somewhere to get in and sabotage the facility.

Yes, I know I'm talking about spy movie-esque stuff, but frankly, I'd love to see more of an emphasis on stealth in a game about frickin' NINJAS.

I like this idea, and to imrpove on it, say you have the ability to cut the power to the facility, turning off all the lights (like in an infected mission) so the enemies have to use head lights to see. The range of that head light is as far as they can see, making it so you always know where they are looking, how far they can see you from, and the extent of where you can hide and such allowing for better stealth mechanics and such.

Yeah , I agree. Some missions should be stealth only. If you get detected , ship is destroyed. However make it so the planetary progress is not blocked by it, as in have an alertnate path to farthest nodes ( more often than not). Or it could be a end of tree node. It would give rewards such as Raid or capture missions.

ninjas weren't only stealthy/sneaky, they were also warriors/mercenaries used in wars etc.

Quite rarely, actually - IRL, ninjas were assassins-for-hire, generally farmers who had undergone rigorous training in order to defend their families and livelihood, often by taking out the heads of factions that were moving in to take their land and resources.

I agree with the person's idea to cut the power/communications in the base to isolate your chances of detection. Maybe if you're spotted you have a time limit to eliminate alerted enemies before the mission is failed.

I agree with the person's idea to cut the power/communications in the base to isolate your chances of detection. Maybe if you're spotted you have a time limit to eliminate alerted enemies before the mission is failed.

Or perhaps only allow the alarm to affect enemies within a certain radius.

One thing really think they need too change is how quickly an enemy can alert the whole ship as well as lock down, as it is as soon as they get too that panel you're screwed. And even then if they shoot you and you kill them before they get too a panel it seems like the rest of the ship knows anyway cause when you go into the next room they are all in cover.

I love the stealth in this game, but as it is right now you just can't use it much because it's really really hard not too be spotted once through out a whole mission.

Stealth is optional, we are not space ninjas by necessity, as evidenced by the machinegun toting two handed axe swinging pistols akimbo tank frames that go about smashing everything.

It WOULD however be nice to see some more stealth mechanics, such as shooting out lights, turning off alarms, and more importantly stealth bonuses to compensate for the lack of loot not killing enemies will deprive you of (Yes, being truely stealthy means not killing anyone).

Not to mention the biggest question, how to implement assassination in a stealth fashion?

Should we just be able to one shot the boss if we successfully sneak through everything to them? If not, how should the alarm be handled when it is inevitably raised?

Also, stealth or die is a terrible idea. Use branching mechanics where being spotted means the mission changes, potentially becoming more difficult or longer. Not just failing.

Should we just be able to one shot the boss if we successfully sneak through everything to them? If not, how should the alarm be handled when it is inevitably raised?

Also, stealth or die is a terrible idea. Use branching mechanics where being spotted means the mission changes, potentially becoming more difficult or longer.

Your first point is a valid one, I must admit - frankly, if the boss is of an organic nature, it should be vulnerable to a sword through the chest/face, eh? Or a throat slit, like the Loki in the Open Beta launch trailer pulls off. If the boss is stealthily assassinated, then why would there be an alarm if there's nobody who witnesses it? I'm talking smart AI here - if the alarm is triggered by an enemy, then the boss should have guards in his room. If the alarm is not triggered and the boss not alerted, then why would he/she have guards? Mmmm, I shouldn't have stealth or die. I meant that the game should introduce a much steeper difficulty curve, and offer less credits or something as the end-mission reward, so as to encourage people to actually act like stealthy space ninjas.

Now, I'm not talking about as soon as you get spotted, it's an instant "Mission Failed". I'm talking about a mission, perhaps on the Grineer homeworld of Earth (hopefully in one of their cloning facilities), where if the enemy spots you, it becomes extremely difficult - not higher level enemies, but just swarms of them. I was playing Fossa today, and we lost the mission AFTER killing the boss because there was a crowd of 40+ Corpus in the next room making a solid wall of laser fire through the doorway.

So, say a ground mission on Earth in a Grineer cloning facility. Since there are so many Grineer, getting spotted and letting the guards sound the alarm would be a death sentence, making it extremely difficult - enemies would swarm and use pack tactics. How about: silently taking out a lone guard that's near a power duct, short-circuit or disable the power conduit, and crouch-crawl through the duct, until you can find somewhere to get in and sabotage the facility.

I am hoping for more stealth options as well, however as aforementioned it should be not hindering planetary progress. That way when you need the break from running and gunning you have another option to break up that pesky farming of BPs / mats! I have a soft spot for stealth games like Deus Ex/Dishonored (when you get to pick if you are going to be a mass murderer / a super stealth and people don't even know you are there or somewhere in between). A level or two on a planet would be enough right now.

I am hoping for more stealth options as well, however as aforementioned it should be not hindering planetary progress. That way when you need the break from running and gunning you have another option to break up that pesky farming of BPs / mats! I have a soft spot for stealth games like Deus Ex/Dishonored (when you get to pick if you are going to be a mass murderer / a super stealth and people don't even know you are there or somewhere in between). A level or two on a planet would be enough right now.

Ah, yeah. I'd love a Dishonoured-style stealth game.