Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scylla: The Ellusive Tormentor Of The Ocean's Depths (Concept Art Included, Sorry Still A Wip)

andymous87

I have an idea for a new frame (someone has probably thought of something similar in some way). she's a cephalopod/octopus based stealth-ish warframe that I named Scylla (only name I could find that could vaguely relate to female cephalopodan/sea creature/mimic, if someone's has a better idea, I would be glad to hear it).

00fwahf.jpg

http://imgur.com/00fwahf

here's a link to the previous updated picture http://ninjawannabe87.deviantart.com/art/Scylla-449266314

I don't have exact armor stats, but I have a general idea of where I would want them but the devs are welcome to change them:

Shields: high (highest in the game preferably)
Health: average to moderately high
Armor: 50 (she's a stealth frame based on a squishy sea creature, what do you expect)
Speed: high (Loki's speed or higher, or at least mirage's level of stamina or higher)
power: high (maybe start at 150 and topping out at 300)

her powers are as follows:

Scylla's Torment - A long flexible tentacle with bladed implements, that are roughly shaped like a Kubrow's head and function like a piercing blade when closed and serrated pincer claws when open, quickly uncurls, elongates or fabricates out of thin air (which ever method is easier on the games engine) then then just as quickly latches onto a target, swings them around, violently slamming them against walls and nearby enemies then throwing them in the direction the camera is looking. Boosting this ability allows up to 6 targets to be ensnared, used as a bludgeon and thrown with deadly force in the desired direction. casting this ability multiple times on a single target will pull apart the ensnared target, killing anything short of a heavy unit, boss or high level enemies but will cause a heavy damage slash proc. to anything that survives (or what ever you would call that effect where they're bleeding)

Mimicry - like some octopi, Scylla can mimic the color, pattern, surface texture and shape of anything she sees. this offers a unique brand of stealth compared to Loki, Ash and Banshee (if you could even call her a stealth frame) that allows her to infiltrate disguised as the one of her enemies or a storage crate. I'll let you guys think of the applications of that. it would be especially useful if you could mimic the armor rating and weapon of the mimicked target; allowing her to temporarily have the appearance, armor rating and weapon of a bombard, napalm, heavy gunner or anything she targets; even an allied frame's abilities, weapon and stats for a certain duration.  in conflicts this would be invaluable if you want to get revenge on cheap-@$$ players that spam certain frames massively over-powered abilities.

Scylla's Walk - the tentacles used in 'Scylla's Torment' are used in this ability to help her traverse the battlefield like no other frame. these tentacles lift her humanoid part of the ground and give her vantage points no other tenno can access. Not only can she jump higher with the assistance of these tentacles, but she can also get the drop on her foes from places the they would never think of by way of the tentacles anchoring her to what ever surface she can get to. she's also immune to most melee attackers when this power is active as anyone that gets too close to her stabbed by the sharpened ends of the tentacles as they lift up and stab her foes and drive them to the ground dealing melee damage.  (If you've seen Dr. octopus in spider man 2 or played Metal Gear Solid 4 enough to see Laughing Octopus move around, it's basically like that)

Ink Cloud - she emits a cloud of blinding viscous, corrosive gas. not as deadly as Saryn's miasma, but more than makes up for it with utility, a more versatile AOE, a longer casting period and overall duration, and the lack of a hindering casting animation.  Enemies caught in the cloud and survive via exiting the AOE or surviving the duration (which only high level foes, heavy units, and bosses are able to do so but not without suffering damage) are left with heavily impaired senses, high susceptibility to critical hits and status effects and have amplified chance and suffer from both from whomever fires on them.  The corrosive, viscous nature of the gas makes enemy weapons unable to function properly and in some cases causing them to explode dealing blast or electrical damage depending what enemy weapon is within the gas but other times it just causes them to throw them away in frustration. So when the cloud dissipates enemies are blind, disarmed and weakened and easily dispatched by whomever feels like shooting or stabbing them.

If the tentacle based abilities are too EXTREME for Digital Extremes (that's right I'm calling you out DE... Okay, all childish @$$holery aside, I do understand if tentacles are too taxing on the games engine for their worth) then here are some alternate powers you could use (not that you can't think of your own, these are just the ideas that I have)

Ink balloon - (alternative for Scylla's torment) throws a globule full of the stuff deployed in ink cloud only this has a smaller AOE. Simple enough?

Regeneration - (alt. for Scylla's Walk) adds some survivability to this squishy warframe by rapidly regaining health even in the midst of taking damage. 2 perks of this power could be an immunity to status effects and a chance to self revive, depending when you cast it, when you go down, and what the duration is.

Subterfuge - (also an alt for SW) this is a power that is basically Scylla misleading the enemy by hacking there network and sending false messages that convince them to attack one of there own (which ever one you target). in an infiltration optional game type if she targets a terminal she can prevent an enemy from triggering an alarm or discontinuing there alert status and many other things. a valuable infiltration aid for a stealth frame.

Daze - (another alt. for SW or mimicry) based on a cuttlefish's daze attack, Scylla emits bright brilliant psychedelic color patterns that lulls her foes into a trance like state leaving them unable to fight for a short time.  dazed enemies have a heightened sensitivity to crit/proc chance and damage.  when daze's effect where's off and they don't see another tenno, they discontinue their alert status.  a valuable stealth and combat aid, and a lot of humorous nicknames could be made for this power.

final note: it would be interesting or at least useful to me if the majority of her powers had unhampering animations like Saryn's molt, especially the Ink Cloud and tentacle based powers.  I would also like if Scylla's march and ink cloud used energy like Nyx's and Banshee's ultimate abilities and were a toggle command like those 2 mentioned abilities, now that I know that it's possible with the recent update.

Edit: this is something I should have done a while ago, but I used imgur to add a picture hopefully that's hopefully viewable for those that don't have a deviant art account and don't want to get one just to view my concept.  I also intend to have some lore on her to explain why there are Kubrow heads on her back.  I'll try to get it soon.

A link to my old concept art can is hopefully found here
http://ninjawannabe87.deviantart.com/art/Warframe-concept-Scylla-432467351

please forgive the self promoting posts, they were made in a complicated time

Edited by andymous87

the tentacles are attached to her.  they come out of a nautilus/mollusk shell-like module on her back that's part of her suit.  the advantage of most of her powers is that, with the exception of Mimicry is that she isn't hindered by a casting animation like other frames (at least that's what I want, anyway), they just come out while she's fighting and take what ever enemy she targets and uses them as a bludgeon against her foes or help her traverse areas of the battlefield others can't

the concept art I have made isn't colored, but I'm going to post it up anyway, it's just a matter of getting a scanner hooked up properly with hopes that it still works.  it's an HP Deskjet f4440 that has been sitting out in my dad's shop for a few years and I'm not sure if it works at all.  if it doesn't then it'll still get posted soon it's just a strenuous clusterf**k of a procedure.

Also, who is 'slendy'?

Okay, there's supposed to be a link to the site, but if you go to the homepage and search for "warframe concept Scylla" (I don't think Scylla has to be capitalized) and it should take you right to it.  If it doesn't then make sure mature content filters are off (don't worry she isn't naked or doing anything overtly sexual) and that scraps are not filtered.

Okay, the link should work now, if not then I got a bone to pick with the forum moderators

Edited by andymous87

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to look like a selfish dbag self promoting my thread but this time it's with a rename of 2 of her talents that I did after researching more about the Greek myth of Scylla.

I also bump this up with a question that I would like feedback on (preferably constructive); what are anyone's thoughts on renaming her to Cecaelia?  from the information I gathered on them they're basically like mermaids only with an octopus lower half (or at least that's the depictions I've seen of them anyway, they could have more cephalopodan characteristics on there upper half, which would be fitting for an octopus/mollusk based warframe)

• 5 weeks later...

Bumped again with edits.  I welcome any feedback as long as you adequately explain why you don't like it (please try to over look the fact that the picture is hard to see and try to grasp the core concept of the frame and her abilities).

there is an updated version of the picture coming.  It's just a matter of getting it scanned which may take a while, because I'm in the middle of a move and I'm not sure If my scanner survived the move nor am I able to get it set up at the moment (a lot of things are going on so it may be a while)

• 2 weeks later...

bumped with edits and a link to a newer updated picture on My DA page.  PLEASE COMMENT, I can take any critique (just try to keep it within some ballpark of reasoning, please.  Don't just troll me)!!!!

There might also be a 3d rendering of it coming from 'arch111' (assuming he doesn't die, forget about it, or loose interest in it altogether; not trying to imply that he has a habit of either of those, I'm just covering all bases [arch111, if your reading this, I believe you'll do it, I have faith in you.  I didn't mean to imply otherwise]), and possibly a rendition from IngusDei (if he's at all interested after wading thru the massive sea of requests to even notice or care to do mine that is).

if anyone has thought of something similar to this and posted a thread about it contact me via posting a message in this thread or PM me with a link to the thread and we could change this to a squid/octopus/sea creature frame mega thread.

Edited by andymous87

Im not dead (that I'm aware of) just been very busy.

I like the powers more than the new frame, even if they both attack by tentacle.

If de are reluctant to do two frames on the same theme im sure a twist can be found.

I hope to get some beginning work done on a model soon.

glad to see that you aren't dead (at least as of April 27, 2014 that is)

the Davy Jones frame attacks using water, the tentacles you've likely seen are his ultimate which could be viewed as a construct of water.  His other abilities include making it rain and liquefying himself.  my frame concept uses the abilities of an octopus (she had a bit of a reskin after I did some research on the Greek myth of Scylla, hence what's on her back).  I'm also very glad you like the powers; I put a lot of thought into them (might have not presented them as well)

it's not really the same theme, related yes, but same no.  one frame uses the power of the sea itself, the other uses the ability of a creature that dwells in the sea, but yeah I see your point.  I hope they consider implementing her or elements of her at least.

I eagerly await your progress.

I wish i had a better kategory name gor this, perhaps add lore origins.

Oberon was just"Mythical frame pops up in Earth. "

It was like they forgot its a sci-fi game not high fantasy.

My point is any frame can be added with a good enough excuse.

Hell, zephyr was MADE by the Lotus People! Maby Scylla is connected to the Ancients somehow?

Hmmm.

I know what you mean (at least I think I do), I try to think of what the lotus would say in her profile video if she was put into game.  for instance in Loki's she refers to him as the trickster, the deceiver, which is accurate for the Loki frame.  she usually has a small amount of words that describe their role, but then I realized that some aren't all that accurate such as Oberon and Banshee (you aren't equally adept at healing and killing when 3 of the powers kill and only one power kind of heals the squad; being unheard and equipped with a ranged weapons doesn't make you stealthy and ranged).  So, it may be up to the devs on what they say in the profile vid.

the only frames that have any established lore to them are Excalibur, Ember, and Valkyr (there's probably more coming, but I think it's ultimately up to the devs, what lore is written).  the only lore I can think of off the top of my head is being in some relation to Hydroid (maybe a girlfriend that left him because he gave the dumbest most unfitting name for a water based frame in the history of warframe, but that's just my opinion of the new frame, but I could probably think of something better given the right amount of time, which may be too long for the devs or other people that may already have ideas for her)

yeah the line between fantasy and Sci-fi has gotten pretty blurry.  Probably in part to the fact that they're somewhat the same.  Think about it, fantasy and Sci-fi are very close in relationship.  both are human imaginings and both basically work like this "I wonder what this would be like if we were able to do this thing that's impossible right now" and Sci-fi is the same only with technology and science that we don't have the resources and know-how to make.  In Metal Gear Solid 4, a character by the name of Otacon had a good line relative to this subject after Snake was saying "this isn't some fantasy game", otacon said "hey when technology tests the limit of our imagination, what's the difference?".

you make a good point, I hope there's good enough excuse to put her in the game.  Hmm, I should study the codex/wiki more to see if there's any place she can fit in.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

semi-shameful bump, I bumped this thread up, because it now has an direct link to by picture without having to go to a different website.  I should probably ask arch111 where he's at on the rendering her.  I have a copy of blender but I'm miles away from knowing how to use it, let alone rendering her the way I want her to be.

Oh hi!

I feel a bit bad that I havent been back for so long. Personal stuff and creative blocks are to blame unfortunately.

I actually started the project but I didn't like where it was going. So I had to start again from a different angle.

Dispite my absense I am actualle excited about the frame and I think she would look amazing. So I am still going to do it.

Besides, Baphomet and Typhus are my two projects I have to finish, and they are nearing conpletion, and have taught me what I need to make Scylla look amazing, heres hoping at least ;)

With Tyl Regor and the underwater tileset, she would be great as Hydroids counterpart.

What do you feel about that?

Good to hear from you arch111 and to hear that news. I'm in the process of having the original drawing altered to show her backside and alt helmets instead of her abilities crappy symbols for them (I might need to pm the lady on the devstream, whose name I forgot, that was responsible for making the symbols for the Warframe's abilities). It may be a while before I upload it so I will just say the idea I had for the alt helmets was the visage of a cuttlefish. One helm came out looking somewhat like mag's default helm with tentacle hair and glowing energy tattoos instead of a swirling mass of energy. I have an idea of it being made similar in nature to royshack's mask from "The Watchmen" (I'm not sure if that's how his name is spelled. I'm talking about the guy with the shifting ink blot mask). The other alt helmet is also styled like a cuttlefish, but the tentacles are in front acting as a veil for her face.

I apologize for any misunderstanding that may come from this message. This is the first time I used my phone to post a message. I hope that the information I mentioned on her alt helmets can stimulate some ideas for your rendering of her helmet design (if you need it that is).

Oh, and merry Christmas/whatever-holiday-you're-celebrating-at-this-time and as happy of a new year as possible

Heh. Christmas all around, though small just me and my family.

No great gatherings for me this year.

As to the sculpt, well she feel like a mix of Nyx and Saryn body wise, the detailing will determine height and proportions.

Its strange, when I built Valkyr recently, I had to alter her body many times before she gor a mass and angles that I like.

The transition from conceptual drawing to conceptual 3Dmodel is really interesting.

Happy hollidays yourself!

I hear you, the process of getting Scylla to the form she is now was interesting too.  I couldn't tell you all the papers I've thrown away or all the holes I've nearly erased through the paper.

I'm working on a lore entry for her that's written in the form of memoirs from another character whom I may make a concept of before or after I post her lore.

she's off to a very good start.  I like how the 'hair' is arranged so beautifully symmetrical.  Whether you are that good with free-hand symmetry or you had a program to assist you with it is irrelevant (still curious though), as it still is a great rendition of her.  she appears to be in good hands.

Also, if some time in the near future you see the subtitle of this thread change to "Scylla: the Rejected", please don't take that as any negative opinion toward your work.  It's simply going to be part of her lore that I'm working on.