Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sniper Rifles Now Nearly Unuseable - Overlay Issues

Xenoit

So, I started playing with Snipers a couple months ago, and then the Vectis came out, and I LOVED it.

Then, Sniper Zoom Overlays were added.  This was pretty bad - The crosshair / center dot is 3 times larger than the standard dor/cross hair, making accurate shots a bit harder to make, especially at long range.  On top of that, the fancy overlay STILL dissappears and reappears while reloading my SINGLE SHOT rifle.  This is highly distracting as the whole corsshair changes, and the whole screen effect blinks.

Then I noticed that they said they patched the Zoom and stuff, so I pulled my Vectis out to go fall back in love.

Now, it's EVEN WORSE!  All the same crosshair issues remain, and now when you zoom it washes everything out in a SUPER bright white light, that can't be seen through beyond about 20m in game.

So, my vectis can't be used.  At all.  Again.

Please, for the love of [insert appropriate Deity here] add an option to disable these atrocious overlays so I can just use my favorite gun again.

I'll take screen shots and add them soon if needed, but just take your Sniper outside, earth, anywhere with a lot of light.  This also goes for anything exploding, or glowing, in your way.  (Like a Survival Life Support, it's impossible to see over them, because the lighting gets magnified like 100000%)

There's probably a quick-fix, like disabling bloom or something, to reduce this new lighting issue, but that is not a real solution.

I would just like to see an option in the HUD settings "Show Zoom Effects.....ON/OFF" Please? :)

The one thing that gives me issues when sniping is the super nova of blue and white light when experience pops up.

As soon as I kill one enemy in a group, I can't see anything in that general vicinity and either shoot blindly or wait for the exp numbers to go away.

And as nice as the zoom overlays look, the filters make some scopes difficult to use in certain situations. In particular that I've noticed, vectis on the night cycle of Earth is way too dark. Couple that with the exp numbers' inability to turn off their high beams, sniping is effectively useless there.

Scopes should be optional.

I will forever use them and adore them, but I understand that some people doesn't... 

The issues with the sniper that you describe, that you constantly zoom in and out with blinking effects is something FPS games have suffered from for ages, and is not really a problem. If you think about it, in any other FPS/TPS you WANT to zoom out again in order to regain your situational awareness making sure you're not getting snuck up on before you deem it safe enough to continue sniping your target. The thing about Warframe though is that it doesn't zoom you out again while reloading, it allows you to stay scoped, so the blinking becomes more annoying. 

Something I did notice however is that the Vectis Scope is the same as the Scanning one... And the OP is right. That reticule is far too big to make accurate shots, and it's just pure laziness. The scanning scope while practical for scanning, is not practical at all for accurate shots. 

As for this: 

Now, it's EVEN WORSE!  All the same crosshair issues remain, and now when you zoom it washes everything out in a SUPER bright white light, that can't be seen through beyond about 20m in game.

So, my vectis can't be used.  At all.  Again.

It's blatantly false. I use my Vectis, and I get no super bright white light that washes out anything regardless of range. Could be your Depth of Field setting that's screwing you over, because I get no additional effects to scoping when I use the Vectis. 

I didn't get what you're describing basically when I zoomed with Vectis. If you could tell me how to replicate it i'll try it out and i might change my opinion...

Then again my opinion isn't really worth much. 

Edited by TwiceDead

I will forever use them and adore them, but other people fail to adapt to change. 

Please understand some will find this insulting.

It's not about change. Its about how the scopes are unnecessary. They hurt our field of view and are a distraction. 

While I personally have no problems with brightness, I can totally agree with the overlay part. I'm not bothered by their existence per se... I kind of even like their style. However it was already mentioned that some of the dots (Vectis has been already mentioned) are more like giant splats, usually larger than the enemies head! Last I've checked the reticules are there to help us aim, not hinder.

Scopes should be optional.

I will forever use them and adore them, but I understand that some people doesn't... 

The issues with the sniper that you describe, that you constantly zoom in and out with blinking effects is something FPS games have suffered from for ages, and is not really a problem. If you think about it, in any other FPS/TPS you WANT to zoom out again in order to regain your situational awareness making sure you're not getting snuck up on before you deem it safe enough to continue sniping your target. The thing about Warframe though is that it doesn't zoom you out again while reloading, it allows you to stay scoped, so the blinking becomes more annoying. 

Something I did notice however is that the Vectis Scope is the same as the Scanning one... And the OP is right. That reticule is far too big to make accurate shots, and it's just pure laziness. The scanning scope while practical for scanning, is not practical at all for accurate shots. 

As for this: 

It's blatantly false. I use my Vectis, and I get no super bright white light that washes out anything regardless of range. Could be your Depth of Field setting that's screwing you over, because I get no additional effects to scoping when I use the Vectis. 

I didn't get what you're describing basically when I zoomed with Vectis. If you could tell me how to replicate it i'll try it out and i might change my opinion...

Then again my opinion isn't really worth much. 

Do you have all settings turned on and at maximum?  If you don't then it is not an issue, thus you can't reproduce it.  Try a bright world with all effects on, and see if it pops up.

There was just a hotfix, so that may have been an unintentional - and fixed bug.  Am testing now.

Also, I'll upload the screen shots that I took for you to see what I'm talking about.

*EDIT*  Also, Twicedead, simply because a bug doesn't effect you doesn't mean that the statement is false, merely that your particular hardware/settings differ enough from mine that you do not get the same error.  Please use logic, and decency instead of calling people names.  (In this case "It's blatantly false. I use my Vectis, and I get no super bright white light that washes out anything regardless of range. Could be your Depth of Field setting that's screwing you over, because I get no additional effects to scoping when I use the Vectis. " that statement is you calling me a liar, and I don't appreciate it. AND this isn't even the first time IN THIS TOPIC that you have been insulting.  It's nice that you edit them out AFTER you've been caught at it, but you could just be a decent person in the first place, and save everyone some time.)

Edited by Xenoit

Do you have all settings turned on and at maximum?  If you don't then it is not an issue, thus you can't reproduce it.  Try a bright world with all effects on, and see if it pops up.

There was just a hotfix, so that may have been an unintentional - and fixed bug.  Am testing now.

Also, I'll upload the screen shots that I took for you to see what I'm talking about.

Managed to replicate it.

Turn off your Motion Blur and your Color Correction and there will no longer be god's rays burning out your eyes. 

You were right. This is an issue, but more like an unintentional bug.

i have no problem with it, but since some dislike it. i think an option to turn on and off is good for everyone.

This. I genuinely enjoy looking through the scopes, but I can see why it annoys so many people. The more little quality-of-life options the game has, the better.

I also had the problem with the Vectis scope being too bright to see through.

I was on Earth, the first exterminate mission, during daytime.

I already had motion blur off. I set color correction off and that absolutely fixed the white-out scope problem.

Unfortunately, I like the color correction setting on. Until DE fixes it, this will be a control toggle for sniper missions :(

*EDIT*  Also, Twicedead, simply because a bug doesn't effect you doesn't mean that the statement is false, merely that your particular hardware/settings differ enough from mine that you do not get the same error.  Please use logic, and decency instead of calling people names.  (In this case "It's blatantly false. I use my Vectis, and I get no super bright white light that washes out anything regardless of range. Could be your Depth of Field setting that's screwing you over, because I get no additional effects to scoping when I use the Vectis. " that statement is you calling me a liar, and I don't appreciate it. AND this isn't even the first time IN THIS TOPIC that you have been insulting.  It's nice that you edit them out AFTER you've been caught at it, but you could just be a decent person in the first place, and save everyone some time.)

Reason I called you a liar was because it never occurred to me, simply because I turned off all the garbage effects that ruin the gameplay and have a tendency to make me sick, such as motion blur or depth of field, off since my day 1 on Warframe, hence I would never encounter bugs like these. 

I'm not being mean, just getting straight to the point and speaking from my point of view. Had you payed attention I already admitted I was wrong, and I managed to replicate the bug. It was Color Correction and Motion Blur that creates this blinding light effect. If you feel insulted and/or hurt, it's not my intention to make you feel that way, but you interpret it that way so there's not much I can do about that. 

Edited by TwiceDead

i just made vectis as a nice support for my trinity but i noticed a possible bug, decided to post it here since its related to overlay.

When i zoom my actual shot and where the overlay is pointing are off, when i try to shoot grineer in the head i need to aim while zoomed to the floor before the grineer unit so that my, horrible overlay of the zoom turns red and only then the shot connects.

if i place my zooms reticule directly over the enemy head my shot will go over the target as my normal croshair and the sniper zoom are off.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an EXTREMELY huge problem. Snipers are NOT A VIABLE OPTION as long as this HUD isn't updated. Like this has gotta' be done ASAP. Hip firing snipers is just awkward gameplay.

Was so keen to play Ash with the Vectis and when I saw the weird zoom I was a little bummed but the degree of how "off" the aim is completely ruins it and totally bums me out. This is honestly really devastating for me, gameplay wise. I've got all the frames I've wanted, all the weapons I've wanted... the only new experience was this Stealthy dude with the Sniper. I'll probably be taking a break until the next few updates seeing as the 'end game content' is non-existence as it is. All I really had, personally, was a 360 on my run and gun gameplay and now it's not even viable.

Zoom crosshair (false)
http://oi62.tinypic.com/oavtsi.jpg

Zoom crosshair (true)
http://oi61.tinypic.com/9au93p.jpg