Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Boss Fight Concept For Kela De Thaym [With Crude Boss Room Concept]

Kinperor

Greeting,

It occurred to me earlier this week that there was one boss that has attitude but who's fight is still just a normal fight with a somewhat stronger unit than usual: I'm referring to Kela de Thaym.

You see, Lotus currently tries valiantly to play 'make believe' with Kela, and she would have us believe she has elite marines who entertains her. While Keyla does have a couple of marines and else in the same room as her, she really have no special relation with them, they're just mooks that are fought normally.

So, I thought up about a new concept for her boss fight, with a part that DE is already working on: the Grineer Death Squad. You see where I'm going, aren't you? Let's go over the fight as I see it:

I have always thought of Kela as nobility, maybe a Baroness or whatever, and I thought that the asteroid would be a 'gift' from the Twin Queens, who offered her an outpost in SPACE that she could call her domain. Now, I personally like to imagine that while the Asteroid base is supposed to be an industrial mining outpost, the one where Kela lives would be a bit modified by her, in order to tickle her fancies more. Remember, she is nobility, so she wants something that has a bit more flair than the caves of the Asteroid. Thinking about all this, it occurred to me that the Asteroid already has a super villain hide out, see here:

1392737381-grineer-asteroid.png

See the swinging arm on the Asteroid base? Doesn't it scream 'final boss room' to you, after a long elevator ride?

So that's where the new fight with Kela would take place, instead of the current cave she has. I made a crude (read, sh-tty) mock up of how I see her boss room:

1392737383-keyla-boss-room.png

As you can see, it's pretty clearly an arena set up, gladiator-style. It would be a warehouse normally, but Kela modified it to host her private quarter (read, boss room, maybe with some other more mundane rooms), and it would feature a stunning view of the space around, including Kela's prized Galleon. The dot of green in the middle of the lower level would be where the players arrive by elevator ride. On the same level, the 'original' death squad would be waiting to fight the Tenno. On the upper level, a couple of elite lancers would stand by, to watch the show. Along with the Lancers, Kela would have her pedestal where she would decadently watch the fight and cheer on her squad of elite marines. What I have in mind when I say 'decadently' (Kela wouldn't be that decadent, tho):

hedonism.jpg

NOTE: While I made the boss room assuming that the whole arm would be a long elevator shaft, the entrance can also be made horizontally, using the already existing tramway we have, and instead of a blatant arena it would be a docking bay which happen to be just the right size and dimension for a death match. It would also be appropriate to add banners that are specific either to Kela or her 'house' (think Game of Throne's houses).

-----

The fight itself

Very straightforward: the 'boss fight' proper starts when the elevator (or tramway) starts; several regular Grineer would fight the Tenno confined to their elevator/tramway in a last ditch effort to kill or harm them. This is made to make the elevator/tramway portion not completely boring to tears. Alternatively, it could be a simple high-speed elevator/tramway.

Arrival in the room: After the elevator/tramway ride, the Tenno cell arrives in the room, which cues an intro video of the Death Squad and Kela. I won't detail the fight against the Death Squad, since they're being done regardless and I can't think of anything particularly amazing.

Kela and her entourage of lesser marines won't attack you until after you kill the Death Squad, but they will intervene if you climb out of the arena. This mean that you can either fight separately the Death Squad and then Kela, or you can try to assault Kela directly and fight her entire entourage at once.

So basically, a two-stage bossfight where the Death Squad fights you first while Kela cheers, and the second stage is against Kela herself, accompanied by regular Grineer. Kela could possibly send some rollers in, to have a good laugh. She could have a plethora of new taunts to address the player.

-----

After the fight: Action movie-sequence bonus.

This is mostly optional, and makes little sense, but I thought it would be cool if the aforementioned Galleon that Kela owns and which orbits the Asteroid base could try to take revenge on you for killing the owner of the ship: thus after the fight, the Galleon opens fire on the boss room, trying to destroy the Tenno along with it.

It makes little sense, really, because it would just be a stupid amount of damage to the installations. However, you can't deny that it would be a great finisher for the fight to need to escape a barrage of explosive projectiles from the Galleon, with air running out due to the gaping holes made by the Galleon. While it is unlikely that a Tenno could survive a direct hit from the canons, most of the damage would come from environmental damage (fire, explosion, air loss, etc) and a direct hit would be a really rare occurrence.

I would assume that once the Tenno cell made it back in the bulk of the base, they would be safe from the Galleon, since they wouldn't fire on the whole base directly, and they wouldn't be able to reach the Tenno anyway.

-----

That about covers up the idea I had for Kela's new boss fight. While I didn't cover the details of the units, I could come back to these eventually. I'm just really not inspired to re-imagine Kela nor to give a personal interpretation of the Grineer Death Squad.

In addition to making a new awesome fight, it is my belief that it would be a great way to implement the Death Squad in a more permanent fashion than a Stalker invasion package, just like Zanuka and Harvester. It would also give a better identity to Kela rather than 'modified heavy gunner'.

Please feel free to upvote and comment if you liked the idea. If you didn't like the idea, do tell me why.

Edited by Kinperor