Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Concept: Dyrnwyn

Rennagade

Before I paste everything from my g-drive, I'd like to apologize for my inability to effectively explain things with words.  I'd appreciate feedback on what needs work, as it would not only help me improve this concept, but help me later down the line with possible future concepts.

So it seems copy and past resulted in black text.  Ugh.

Edit: Fixed, but I can't read it in the editor.

Dyrnwyn

Background of Dyrnwyn in legends: When drawn by a well born, good hearted man, legend states that Dyrnwyn will release flames incinerating all enemies.

Background of this idea:  In honor of melee 2.0 I decided to try my hand at a melee focused frame.

Early thoughts: things that a melee frame needs-

-Survivability.  A melee fighter is going to take the most damage.

-Mobility and endurance.  A melee fight will need to be quick enough to approach an enemy while retaining enough stamina to prove effective with melee attacks.

-Damage boost.  Melee weapons tend to fall flat vs guns due to dishing out significantly less damage.

-The Warframe ability.  Warframes tend to have an ability that matches their theme.  Dyrnwyn is a flaming sword that incinerates all enemies.

-Trade offs.  Nobody can have everything.

Stats:

Health: 400

Shields 350

Energy: 150

Armor: 30

Stamina: 95

Concepts for abilities:

1-Cleansing Flames- Dyrnwyn creates an orb of fire around himself as he recovers a portion of health and shields.  The orb lasts for a small amount of time.  Attacking the orb results in a small pulse of an illusionary flames that result in a short duration of the panic effect.

---Thoughts on the animation- Dyrnwyn stabs his weapon into the ground before creating the orb of flames.

2-Pheonix wing- Dyrnwyn swings his melee weapon unleashing an illusion of a flying slash of fire moving forward.  The size of the attack increases with distance traveled.  Targets hit enter a panicked state.

---The shape of the projectile was originally envisioned to look like a phoenix.

3-The Sword of Fire- Dyrnwyn ignites his weapon with illusinary fire for a large amount of time, dealing causing a panic state and increasing the weapon’s range.

4-Burning Soul- Dyrnwyn is encased in illusionary flames and begins levitating.  Dyrnwyn’s movement speed is increased.  Melee range is increased.  Pressing space will result in wings of flames appearing behind Dyrnwyn, propelling him up.  Holding space allows him to glide.  Can press space up to 4 times without returning to “ground level”, or normal levitation height.   Pressing shift while gliding results in rapid forward movement will descending faster.  Dashing into enemies deal damage.  Attacks on enemies cause panic.

---Melee range stacks with Sword of Fire

What do I mean by the “panicked state”.  The enemies see themselves burning as a result of Dyrnwyn’s abilities.  As a result they:

Have decreased accuracy or stop shooting as they try to put out the fire.

Run around, possibly into other enemies line of fire where they take damage.

Take an increased amount of damage.

An alternative to the theme of illusionary flame warframe can be the nightmare warframe, but that would need a new name as "Dyrnwyn" has little to no relation with nightmares

Again, sorry if I am hard to understand regarding some things.(or all)

Edit:link to my g drive https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XGRQB0G9aWoUQ9_GAsl2jYzhaiSibZq1aaAwAMcWhAQ/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: my thoughts on poster's replies for those of you who don't want to open the link:

Notes taken from forum posts-

Notes taken from forum posts-

To similar to ember?

--Thoughts.  Ya.. Fire is embers thing.  I tried to keep Dyrnwyn somewhat related to the folklore of the blade by keeping fire as its primary attribute/element.  Also I tried to make him more of a “in your face” melee fighter rather than a “back line castor” that I personally see Ember as.  Other than that, their similarities are generally limited to their use of fire.

Poster 2 agrees with poster 1.

--Hmm..  How about an illusionary flame instead of true fire that causes panic rather than burn effects?  Or would that be stepping too far into Loki or Nyx territory?

VKhaun- Noted what you said about ability one possible being a knockdown recovery ability or something of that sort- like the idea, but might be a bit overpowered actually.  Too many applications and what not.  When writing ability 2 I also thought about damage fall off.  Not to sure how I feel about it, thats why it was not originally added in.  Also your post was written as I was modifying it to illusion based with the panic effect-  perhaps that can solve some of your issues with the frame?

Edited by Rennagade

Maybe changing the color of the writing to white in google drive and then copying it would work for making it easier to read in the forums? Other than that, my one quirk with your idea is how much fire is in it. It sounds a bit too much like ember. Maybe having it as energy instead?

Edited by Senparos

The fire motif is already occupied by Ember, I'm sad to say. There are many other routes still open. A water based warframe, for example. Or an earth based one. Or a plantlife based one. Or animal life. Or something that isn't void, tech, electricity, fire, ice, sound, antimatter/explosives, poison, mind control, wind, healing, melee,death, magnetism, tank, stealth, introduction/balanced, or teleportation based warframe.

Maybe changing the color of the writing to white in google drive and then copying it would work for making it easier to read in the forums? Other than that, my one quirk with your idea is how much fire is in it. It sounds a bit too much like ember. Maybe having it as energy instead?

The fire motif is already occupied by Ember, I'm sad to say. There are many other routes still open. A water based warframe, for example. Or an earth based one. Or a plantlife based one. Or animal life. Or something that isn't void, tech, electricity, fire, ice, sound, antimatter/explosives, poison, mind control, wind, healing, melee,death, magnetism, tank, stealth, introduction/balanced, or teleportation based warframe.

Hmm...  Would you be open to an illusion based flame or something of that sort that cause panic upon damaging enemies rather than burn?  Or would that just be marching into loki/nyx territory making a bigger mess?

Edited by Rennagade

Hmm...  Would you be open to an illusion based flame or something of that sort that cause panic upon damaging enemies rather than burn?  Or would that just be marching into loki/nyx territory making a bigger mess?

That'd be close, but it could be pulled off. I always find the idea of a warframe that used close illusions to itself to be interesting. Like it's running and illusions split from it, or an illusion that does damage but is weaker or something to that nature. It's ultimate could be the creation of mass illusions, one for each enemy within a specific radius. And it could have an ability where it drops an illusion of itself and it splits from it, invisible for a short duration. Something like that. I've never been good with the numbers of the stats behind it thought.

Concepts for abilities:
1-Cleansing Flames- Dyrnwyn creates an orb of fire around himself as he recovers a portion of health and shields.  The orb lasts for a small amount of time or until it breaks due to damage.
---Thoughts on the animation- Dyrnwyn stabs his weapon into the ground before creating the orb of flames.
Not a fan of locking melee toons into standing animations, and that's counter productive for a defensive skill because on a melee character you're losing a lot of defense by standing still. Health / barrier split doesn't really fit on a buffer tank. Needs to be rethought overall IMO.

I like the idea of CLEANSING flames. I would make it do a very quick animation that involved hovering and maybe some smaller firey wing type effects. Point being to interrupt other animations. If something knocks you over, like an Ancient $#*(@ slaps you across a room, you hit this skill and instantly stop mid air, stop moving, stop falling, stop animating, and snap to a firey pose. You drop to the ground and you're ready to fight again with a shield and small heal. Maybe also clear DoT's / Procs.

2-Pheonix wing- Dyrnwyn swings his melee weapon unleashing a flying slash of fire moving forward.  The size of the attack increases with distance traveled.  
---The shape of the projectile was originally envisioned to look like a phoenix.

Dig it. Probably should swap 1 & 2 though. I would also add a KD to Phoenix Wing if it travels at least X distance, that way as damage fades in later levels it can still be used to help do melee by providing light CC if a lot of stuff starts shooting at you, since out at a distance it's spread way out and gotten wide.

3-The Sword of Fire- Dyrnwyn ignites his weapon on fire for a large amount of time, dealing additional fire damage and increasing the weapon’s range.

Melee steroid makes sense, fire makes sense. Boring, but I like it as a boring and straightforward skill, and I like that you said a large amount of time. For some reason game designers only like short duration steroids. I would love to have a LONG duration steroid that has only a small effect. Maybe as a tradeoff it could do something cool on-cast, like a PBAoE fire attack / knockdown similar to Ash's Smokescreen.

If you run around with it on all the time and using duration, then it's not available for the second effect because of power in use. If you save it for the second effect, it's not on all the time. Decision. Choice. Free will, and all that good stuff.

4-Burning Soul- Dyrnwyn is encased in flames and begins levitating.  Dyrnwyn’s movement speed is increased.  Melee range is increased.  Pressing space will result in wings of flames appearing behind Dyrnwyn, propelling him up.  Holding space allows him to glide.  Can press space up to 4 times without returning to “ground level”, or normal levitation height.   Pressing shift while gliding results in rapid forward movement will descending faster.
---Melee range stacks with Sword of Fire

Cool. Mobility makes a good ult on a CC-countering melee master IMO. I might suggest adding a slow, because it's always been a pain in the butt for me to do melee proactively on Warframe because half the enemies run and only Loki can really keep up to hit them in the back while animating, and even then only with a good long weapon. Or so it has seemed. Your range buff will make more weapons applicable, but you still need a slow or speed increase to keep up.

Edited by VKhaun