Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Integrating Lore And Gameplay: System War

MagpieOAO

Currently there are 3 factions as I understand it. Tenno. the grineer and corupus who are likely at least neuteral if not allied, and the infested. An excellent way imo to keep things interesting and to integrate the lore into the game would be in creating a system in which mission outcomes and alerts effect the control of a planet (And moons) and the overall influence of a faction in the system to some benefit or detriment of the players.

For an EXTREME example, lets say they completely wipe the current mission selection system, and we all start on venus (IIRC the starting zone) in which tenno relics and warriors are still hidden in the nooks and crannies of the system, and our presence is most immediately felt.

Players are given the option to attack specific objectives to harm various elements of the Grineer force in the area.

Sabotage lowers their research and resource collection (Which results in less high grade units being encountered)

Assassination effects organisation (Which results in less defense missions for us)

Spy and deception missions can build up an intel meter which when full, will trigger an alert that provides a large bonus either in our influence or a large chunk out of the enemy influence in one of their areas.

Any and every attack that ends with enemies being killed depletes their resources, and sneaking through a mission entirely results in decimation (basically the unit that completely failed to stop you is annihilated for their failure) for a further reduction.

As players push the map in favor of Tenno, we eventually get a series of alerts that, if successful, push the grineer back and allow us to push out of the planetary system.

Once we enter the solar system proper, we must attack and defend against the various factions to capture new ground and prevent them from taking ours.

The various factions could even be made to help, hinder, or bicker with each other when certain criteria is met to interject more dialogue and story, as well as keep things more interesting than grinding the same planets for mats to grind other planets for better mats.

My first question is, how would the enemy factions recooperate from their losses? The Tenno don't have a particularly high losing streak, in my experience, so this idea it seems a bit biased in our favor.

I'm not saying it doesn't sound interesting, but I'm wondering what would stop the Tenno from complete domination?

Well, in an extreme case can't the Grineer just clone a billion soldiers and take over a planet overrun by the Tenno? The only way this would work is if there is a system wide alert that the Grineer are amassing a huge armada to retake the lost planets/outposts.

+1

resources and such would regen over time. military size would regen/increase over time. alert missions take out more of the enemy army.

keeping them down and eliminating their ability TO regen pushes them out of the system. once done, said system could become a part of "clan territory wars"? :P and afterwards, grineer forces are found in another system, and cycle repeats? (just a thought)

anyway, yeah, grineer, corpus, infested forces / resources would regen over time. and if they aren't sufficiently suppressed, their numbers would get so large the tenno would start losing territory.

An alternative would be that Corpus and Grineer will always have a "home zone" a place so fortified, thousands(?) of years have passed by so it makes sense to me, that we Tenno can't attack because of our small numbers. Make it somewhere untravelable for some reason and that is where they regen numbers / resources etc.

I've also been toying with a a competitive mission idea a sort of stop gap if you will to pvp if the devs ever decide to do it. Where it is a heavily fortified level where 2 or more teams of Tenno are sent to ensure victory and extra rewards are given to the team who can do the objective first. It's a rough idea and I didn't feel it was ready to be suggested nor did I find one on the forums.

I've also been toying with a a competitive mission idea a sort of stop gap if you will to pvp if the devs ever decide to do it. Where it is a heavily fortified level where 2 or more teams of Tenno are sent to ensure victory and extra rewards are given to the team who can do the objective first. It's a rough idea and I didn't feel it was ready to be suggested nor did I find one on the forums.

was also kinda cool. like a "friendly competition" between teams to be taken place on an ultra huge map (3x the size with 3x the mobs for 3 teams to complete the same mission)

what they'd do instead would be to use 1 map hosted by 3 or 4 different teams (each playing sepperately)... would be the same mission and everything, but each team graded on all aspects, skills used, kills, damage taken, time to achieve mission objective, etc etc etc.. team with the highest overall score wins...

OR

progresses along to the next round in a tournament-style battle with 20 or so teams total.

(once ur team is eliminated, u cannot reenter that competition. likely to be taking place the following weekend, or month, or whatever.... like a recurring event or something. total accumalitve individual competition points could be spent at what we'll call the "competition shop" for asthetic stuff only.. extra color pallets, or weapon skins, hell, even wings, tail, halo, and horns, idk just kinda thinking aloud lol.)

i do think, however, that the rewards for the endless defence missions should stack. as in, when the option pops up asking to stay or leave and u choose to stay the rewards for those rounds should be dropped into the players inventory.

On the contrary, I think the reward system should stays as it is. It forces player to decide and calculate the risk/benefit of playing the next five rounds of defense. Will I get better/more rewards from the next five waves than this reward? Should we quit?

I enjoy decision making in the game. It makes the game feel more alive.