The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Low Settings Give Tactical Advantage?

Marshall

In any game that puts the player in the actual position of the character, visual perception has a great value.

What I see in many fps like Warframe is that having low settings actually give you a tactical advantage because some effects cover the target or have a negative effect on your sight just like shadow, fog, etc.

So, do you think it is smart to play on low graphics settings?

Unless you do a montage or want to record for any purpose it might be a good plan to reduce the scene's complexity. Especially in player versus player shooters.

at my house i have a very strong pc. however i am running almost every game that somehow related to shooting, like battlefield for example, on low settings. except for those settings which allows me spot and track opposition better.

i am running warframe on low, because all that blur and other stuff is nothing more than a distraction.

because all that blur and other stuff is nothing more than a distraction.

I have to admit I cannot imagine why I should use blur/dof even if I had the computing power for it. they are not only distraction, they actually hurt your brain because they simulate effects that interfere with your body's perception. Who would use these features???

I think it depends really, i personally am not the kind of person to look for the maxed out graphics experience, as long as the game doesnt look awful and i have good fps im happy, i dont use vsync/tesselation or any of that. I do tend to find i play better in those situations, EG i still play alot of COD4 because i find it alot more fun than more recent COD titles (along with the awful pc ports but lets not go there).

However i would also argue that if graphics can actually inhibit gameplay drastically enough for this to be a factor then i think something is wrong in that situation. Stuff like smoke im fine with, if i see smoke i expect my vision to be blocked atleast somewhat. On the other hand effects like bloom i flat out refuse to use as it just completely interferes with any gameplay on seemingly any game, the same applies to the actual effects within the game. Its hard to think of examples in warframe specifically as its generally very well done but things such as napalm rockets firing directly at you can block your vision heavily if its close enough.

Overall i dont believe specifically low graphics are required for alot of games and that if things like smoke are that intrusive then the game itself is more likely at fault than the effect itself, if some vents in warframe had large amounts of completely opaque smoke coming out for example. However there are some display effects that are certainly beneficial to have off such as bloom.

I have to admit I cannot imagine why I should use blur/dof even if I had the computing power for it. they are not only distraction, they actually hurt your brain because they simulate effects that interfere with your body's perception. Who would use these features???

I don't have any issues with running Warframe on max quality. That includes blur/dof.

Then again, I'm wearing glasses 24/7 so it might not affect me as it would for you or anyone else.

Edited by Trowicia

Who would use these features???

no idea. i saw some screenshots from some members of this community. my eyes were bleeding just by looking on a these screenshots really.

all these ideas about making game look good are rather strange ones from a perspective of blurs and other stuff.

i mean let say for some slow paced games like strategy be it rts or tbs, yes i play them on max, i wanna see everything. in shooter games i turn everything off. in mmos i turn everything off.

amount of infromation received by my brain, all these particles, blurs, shadows and other stuff is just not needed. it have zero to none positive impacts on a gameplay. However if i miss a target because of some blur, or sand cloud or smoke it can cost me a lot.

so if it's possible and if it's not against the rules (like changing some settings in cs game) i prefer to keep settings on low. Because it's not only keeps me from dying by bleeding to death through my eyes, but also this is helping in my gaming.

so low as possible in shooters.

Edited by Althix