Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Guardian

Okamibanshu88

I've made mention of this before, but i'd love to see instead of a floating sentinel, a Guardian thats on the ground beside you. you could make it so both are up at the same time, or you can only choose one. But either way i'd love to see a ground based unit that focus's more on melee and keeping you safe from melee attackers. I've noticed my sentinel, no matter which one, targets farther opponents even when one closes in. The guardian would keep your back safe, and also protect you while hacking and such. The sentinel is very you focused, so much so that it tends to only see what you see. But the Guardian would be an active 'attack' frame, depending on the model, to keep you safe. attacking enemies that are within a certain distance of you.

Possible abilities:

Sacrifice: Guardian gives up its own energy and power to revive the player if they go down. this could give the players a lot more solo playability. Regen would enable Sacrifice to be used once more respectivly. This abiity would be useable on all Guardian types.

Then the types of Guardians would be as follows, so far i only have three in mind, just so you know :)

Guardian: The basic type named after its purpose. Guardian will keep any would be enemies out of reach of its master. Attacking will all possible force within 10M of the warframe Moderate power and defence Rage: Guardian goes off on a massive killing strike. Going past the normal limitations of guardians range, Guardian will find the closest unit and attack with a flurry of heavy melee attacks before returning. Max level, if Guardian succeeds in killing the target, it will move on to the next for up to four kills before returning to the user. This ability will reactivate every 30 seconds up to 60 at max.

Slingshot: this guardian type specializes in removing and returning lobbed projectiles. Much like carrier and item drops, Slingshots main ability will be in catching and returning fire from heavy weapons such as rockets, grenades and other such weapons. Slingshots melee is also like the boomerang. it will launch out to attack an enemy and return after a sucessful hit. Low on power, but high defense Return to sender: Slingshot catches and returns heavy weapons and projectiles*grenades* back at opponents maxed allows returned weapons a 15% damage bump.

Bulwark: This Guardian type focus on, you got it, defense. Having no offensive abilities past the 10M mark Bulwarks special ability is in buffering the warframes health. When hear death the warframe is given a surge in hp equal to half its overall hp. Bulwark will not effect sheilds, and over all the other Guardians can take the most beating. His Howl attack will attrack attention away from the waframe an dto him instead, saving his Master from a possibly lethal attack.

Surge: Boosts owners hp when needed, base has 60 second recharge, max lowers it to 45

Now as these guys are primarily melee based, they would use melee mods just like your melee weapons. My thoughts were that Guardian should be a Wolf style, Slingshot possibly an ape/gorilla of some sort, and bulwark could be some sort of bear. I think this would be a definate improvement to the setninel system.

theres a few reason i personally dont want a walking sentinel. 

1: it would have a pretty $&*&*#(%& follow ability and would all out not be able to navigate well

2: it would get in the way far too much.

the beauty of a floating sentinel is that its very difficult for that to hinder the player at all.

(also, theres already a sentinel mod called guardian)

theres a few reason i personally dont want a walking sentinel. 

1: it would have a pretty $&*&*#(%& follow ability and would all out not be able to navigate well

2: it would get in the way far too much.

the beauty of a floating sentinel is that its very difficult for that to hinder the player at all.

(also, theres already a sentinel mod called guardian)

Guardian is thetheme, and name of only one actual sentinel. And they dont' have to 'walk' persay. My thoughtis basically just a low hoevering sentinel that would do melee over anyting else.  And it woudlnt' getinthe way, anymore thena warframe. It would obviously have its 'boundries' around the character. the collison isn't anything new, plus if its not attacking, it would be beside/behind you.

Guardian is thetheme, and name of only one actual sentinel. And they dont' have to 'walk' persay. My thoughtis basically just a low hoevering sentinel that would do melee over anyting else.  And it woudlnt' getinthe way, anymore thena warframe. It would obviously have its 'boundries' around the character. the collison isn't anything new, plus if its not attacking, it would be beside/behind you.

theres still an issue with that though, warframes are quite a large thing and the only reason they arent too in the way is because they dont tail 2 inches behind you all the time. and if this is a melee sentinel it will constantly have to go and chase things down meaning its going to be scrambling all over your feet and tripping you up constantly. other sentinels float above your head so if they are forced to they can float right above you. if that happens with a low sentinel its going to trap you in,the only way to fix that is to make it not collide with anything.

theres still an issue with that though, warframes are quite a large thing and the only reason they arent too in the way is because they dont tail 2 inches behind you all the time. and if this is a melee sentinel it will constantly have to go and chase things down meaning its going to be scrambling all over your feet and tripping you up constantly. other sentinels float above your head so if they are forced to they can float right above you. if that happens with a low sentinel its going to trap you in,the only way to fix that is to make it not collide with anything.

not neccisarily. It wouldn't have to be righ toff your heals.  It could be a ways off from you simply following and such.  as to the running off it could act more like a boomerang or glaive. once it comes back it goes right back to its spot behind you. except for attacking, it wouldn't leave its position behind you so it wouldn't get in your way. regardless, there are lots of issues and lots of good points. if your only pick on this is the collission, thats something that can beg gotten used to, or its simply not for you. even if it was just a melee based sentinel system it would still be a step up.

i never heard mention of companions.

It's on the latest Dev Live Stream they show a bit more than they ever have on this subject. In truth it is very reminiscent of the game for genesis, Shinobi: Shadow Dancer, where he has a dog companion. The animated 3D models the DEvs show are pretty damn cool, you should check it out. 

It's on the latest Dev Live Stream they show a bit more than they ever have on this subject. In truth it is very reminiscent of the game for genesis, Shinobi: Shadow Dancer, where he has a dog companion. The animated 3D models the DEvs show are pretty damn cool, you should check it out. 

i'll look