The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What If 'players' Acted Out The Stalker Role.. Like In Dark Souls?

DirkDeadeye

I don't think Venarge's point is as irrelevant as you say though, Aggh. While yes, they can totally mess with the story however they want at this point, what if they already have plans for the plot that simply haven't been implemented yet? In fact, I'm almost certain they've got something in store for the stalker. The rest of the game too. You have to remember, WF as a whole is DE reasserting the vision they originally had for darkSector when it got pushed aside.

Edited by Densoro

I don't think Venarge's point is as irrelevant as you say though, Aggh. While yes, they can totally mess with the story however they want at this point, what if they already have plans for the plot that simply haven't been implemented yet? In fact, I'm almost certain they've got something in store for the stalker. The rest of the game too. You have to remember, WF as a whole is DE reasserting the vision they originally had for darkSector when it got pushed aside.

And clearly any plot plans would clash with a system allowing players to control a character that is already doing the exact same things he would be doing if this system were put in place. It's a ridiculous argument and I don't know why either of you are trying to keep it going.

Edited by Aggh

Because the point is that unless DE says otherwise, the stalker is not us. Putting us in control of him gives us a sense of control over somebody that, for the moment, DE wants to keep largely a mystery. Even if we're doing the same work he would be doing, there's a narrative difference between him doing it and us doing it.

how about when you're playing as a stalker its always solo, when you die you DROP one of the three weapons you're holding and the lucky guy near you get to keep your lost weapon Potatoes and all the mods / forma on it. if you kill yer target and have the chance to get out to get 10K in credits.  If you guys are so ANAL about doing "Dark souls" raids on a game DE said there wasn't going to be any PVP on the outside of Dojos then this should be the solution, HIGH RISK very low rewards

Hm. My last reply made it sound like I'm taking the side of NO IT CATEGORICALLY SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU. I'm not xD It is doable, in theory. Just that the question of perspective should be noted. Letting us in the driver's seat makes him less of an enigma. If DE's okay with that, cool. It's their call.

I like the idea, if you play with a fixed stalker frame with fixed abilities and weapons.  The devs could give an opt-out option where you could not be invaded by player controlled stalker and also not play as the stalker. The opt-out option should have a timer to prevent exploiting.

This exact system is why I purchased neither Demons nor Dark Souls.

You missed out on some good gaming.

On topic: I'd say nay if it is forced. The great thing about Warframe at the moment is the almost complete lack of PVP and huge amount of resources that goes towards keeping it a cooperative, PVE game. If I want to be competitive and deal with 13 year olds calling me bad over the internet, I have dozens, hundreds of games to play to fill that urge. Warframe is my "relax and shoot stuff with some friends" game.

That said, if it's implemented as an optional thing and as the only source of PVP, I'd be willing to try it. I just don't want a large portion of limited developer resources going towards PVP in a game that has such a niche carved out for itself already.

Because the point is that unless DE says otherwise, the stalker is not us. Putting us in control of him gives us a sense of control over somebody that, for the moment, DE wants to keep largely a mystery. Even if we're doing the same work he would be doing, there's a narrative difference between him doing it and us doing it.

You're conflating story telling  with gameplay, stop it.

Edited by Aggh

I think this is a fantastic idea. It gives players something interesting to strive for if you require the player to have a certain level (5+) and require specific gear. Maybe also limit what missions the players can invade, so that they only invade high-level missions and aren't trolling new players.

I also agree with what a few people have mentioned about being able to turn this option on and off. One of the things I love about Warframe is how it lets me quickly choose how much online play I want to allow (Solo, Invite Only, Online, etc.). I feel like that's a standout aspect of how the game works, and would be good to maintain here for players who dont want to be invaded.

Edited by soapLTD

No, they're supposed to go together.

Exactly, they go together.  They're not the same thing.  Thinking that a player controlled character would affect the storytelling in the way that you're talking about implies a breaking of a fourth wall that will never happen.

Edited by Aggh

It plainly has an affect on storytelling, the same as pacing in a book tells you how much time has passed in a scene. The player is looking over the shoulder of somebody who was their enemy. That makes them less enemy, because you're controlling them now. They're somebody else's enemy now, sure, but there's still the 'this is me' factor.

I don't see what the big deal is, the game isn't finished..why not explore possiblities, especially when there are a lot of people who do seem interested in the idea.

People act as if anything suggested shall be carved into stone.

Any time I jab at the mechanics, the flow, weapons all jacked up, bosses being benign as hell.. beta is thrown in my face.

You suggest something new, and different..and we all the sudden act like changes shall not be made.

I don't see what the big deal is

The big deal is it WILL disrupt gameplay and the Stalker has been proven to be a bit more powerful than the Tenno.

I don't want to have another guy just come in as a stalker and say "HI IM GONNA KILL YOU BECAUSE I LIKE PVP SO MUCH TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! YOUR A NOOB, YOU SUCK! YOU HAVE EXCALIBUR AND I HAVE A STALKER FRAME! TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!"

I don't see what the big deal is, the game isn't finished..why not explore possiblities, especially when there are a lot of people who do seem interested in the idea.

Any time I jab at the mechanics, the flow, weapons all jacked up, bosses being benign as hell.. beta is thrown in my face.

You suggest something new, and different..and we all the sudden act like changes shall not be made.

THIS.  +1

My thoughts as im a big fan of dark souls (cant w8 for dark souls 2)

to the PVE players-shh this doesn't concern u as u will not participate in pvp anyway, quit trying to ruin it for the rest of us. What bothers me is that they ask for a bigger challenge in warframe but nothing will be more challenging than pvp. Just say ur scared and u lack the skill to compete. Theres no reason for this game not to have both pve/pvp.

As for the player Stalker idea, i love it, Continent of the Ninth (C9) had players invading others missions as well. The way they did it was that b4 u entered a mission u had the option to allow intruders or not, if u allowed then u would have increased XP and Loot. Something along those lines could be done in warframe

My thoughts as im a big fan of dark souls (cant w8 for dark souls 2)

to the PVE players-shh this doesn't concern u as u will not participate in pvp anyway, quit trying to ruin it for the rest of us. What bothers me is that they ask for a bigger challenge in warframe but nothing will be more challenging than pvp. Just say ur scared and u lack the skill to compete. Theres no reason for this game not to have both pve/pvp.

As for the player Stalker idea, i love it, Continent of the Ninth (C9) had players invading others missions as well. The way they did it was that b4 u entered a mission u had the option to allow intruders or not, if u allowed then u would have increased XP and Loot. Something along those lines could be done in warframe

To Quote STEVE

There is no PvP mode in Warframe yet. Facepalm  Sure, but when we started building this game a year ago, we saw plenty of PvP and less PvE. Right we want to focus and do one thing well: PvE. That said we are investing in better leaderboards, clans goals, and other more 'meta' forms of competition right now

Having a mind behind Stalker is absolutely necessary now.. He's so easy to kill, it's not even funny.

I'd prefer the Stalker control to be random, like an alert (yet not as frequent), and anonymous. That way one doesn't know whether one is fighting an NPC or an actual person.

Edited by Versal