The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What If 'players' Acted Out The Stalker Role.. Like In Dark Souls?

DirkDeadeye

anybody play global agenda here? remember double agent?

Yep and I stood there on my assault with a OCimini and hammered 4 players into a corner then let the boss kill em. Or worse for my robo and nested up and laughed as the mini gun turret killed everyone

Also I have seen Stalker kill others with me too, I died the 1st time he popped up for me he 2 hit me then 1 hit 2 of my friends

Keep in mind that the stalker's goal is to kill a specific player.  So one  kill should be enough to earn a reward.  But even that will be really hard since you'll still have to try and not get killed by four players.  Additional kills would a.) take a lot of skill and hard work and b.) should have a pretty damn good reward as long as they kill their target too.

To be honest. I'm not sure if there should be many other rewards for killing other players. I mean, there could be a bonus but I think the focus should be at the target and not at the group. Also, there are already enough complaints to the idea. Imagine if people just start playing the stalker just to kill the entire group. There would be things like: "OMG STALKERS KEEP RUINING MY GAME KILLING EVERYONE AND MAKING ME FAIL THE MISSION"

So like I said. The idea is good, but we need to adapt it to make it good and fun to everyone.

To be honest. I'm not sure if there should be many other rewards for killing other players. I mean, there could be a bonus but I think the focus should be at the target and not at the group. Also, there are already enough complaints to the idea. Imagine if people just start playing the stalker just to kill the entire group. There would be things like: "OMG STALKERS KEEP RUINING MY GAME KILLING EVERYONE AND MAKING ME FAIL THE MISSION"

So like I said. The idea is good, but we need to adapt it to make it good and fun to everyone.

Killing the target could give you the main reward (Good loot table like weapon BPs, large credit rewards etc) whereas kills on non targets would get you smaller credit rewards or mod drops with good loot tables, while kills on non targets without killing the target would yield lesser rewards.

As has been said a million times, there could be an option to opt out of player controlled stalkers.

Edited by Aggh

I kind of like the idea of another player playing as the Stalker. However, I've found that the "skill" (experience) gap between players can be rather big. It wouldn't be fun if the stalker just kept on trolling and chasing the other players through the level without finishing them (maybe there needs to be a time limit for him?). Even with the option to disable player-controlled stalkers, if the experiences are generally negative practically everyone will disable it over time.

Killing the target could give you the main reward (Good loot table like weapon BPs, large credit rewards etc) whereas kills on non targets would get you smaller credit rewards or mod drops with good loot tables, while kills on non targets without killing the target would yield lesser rewards.

As has been said a million times, there could be an option to opt out of player controlled stalkers.

Yeah that sounds better. It's just that it could end being bad if every stalker just out went to kill everybody because he would get a greater reward than just killing the main target.

I also think it would be nice if the player had a number of limited times that he can play as stalker per day or week. That way I don't think everyone would try to be the stalker at the same time.

Yeah that sounds better. It's just that it could end being bad if every stalker just out went to kill everybody because he would get a greater reward than just killing the main target.

I also think it would be nice if the player had a number of limited times that he can play as stalker per day or week. That way I don't think everyone would try to be the stalker at the same time.

Keep in mind that this is a 1v4 fight.  Killing one player in all likelihood would be pretty damn hard.  If they manage to kill four players they should get a reward out of it.    99% of people will most likely not be able to pull off any more than one kills and a decent number of people will probably not be able to kill their target.  Taking that into consideration, giving good rewards would be pretty justifiable.

The way it's been discussed, it would be a sort of alert system where players would have an alert pop up asking if they want to play as stalker in a player's mission.  Given that stalker events are not exactly a common occurrence as it is, and lots of players would be queuing to play as stalker, you most likely wouldn't be able to play as stalker all day long.

Edited by Aggh

Keep in mind that this is a 1v4 fight.  Killing one player in all likelihood would be pretty damn hard.  If they manage to kill four players they should get a reward out of it.    99% of people will most likely not be able to pull off any more than one kills and a decent number of people will probably not be able to kill their target.  Taking that into consideration, giving good rewards would be pretty justifiable.

The way it's been discussed, it would be a sort of alert system where players would have an alert pop up asking if they want to play as stalker in a player's mission.  Given that stalker events are not exactly a common occurrence as it is, and lots of players would be queuing to play as stalker, you most likely wouldn't be able to play as stalker all day long.

I know. I didn't mean like that would be the worst issue, I just wanted to say that it could cause a problem. But you do have a point there.

Right. But if everyone tries to go in the alert at the same time. Who will be the normal players?

I know. I didn't mean like that would be the worst issue, I just wanted to say that it could cause a problem. But you do have a point there.

Right. But if everyone tries to go in the alert at the same time. Who will be the normal players?

The normal players are people already playing missions.  People would queue up for the opportunity to play as stalker and enter peoples' missions.    When there is stalker event and you're at the top of the queue, you'd be given an alert for a stalker mission.  If you don't take the alert in a reasonable amount of time it would move on to the next person in queue.

The normal players are people already playing missions.  People would queue up for the opportunity to play as stalker and enter peoples' missions.    When there is stalker event and you're at the top of the queue, you'd be given an alert for a stalker mission.  If you don't take the alert in a reasonable amount of time it would move on to the next person in queue.

Ah I understand now. That really sounds like a nice idea.

Edited by Dashx

I think it's a terrible idea. Here's why: If I'm walking around and fighting a boss like most others, there will some a certain percentage out there that will ONLY invade and will suit themselves to be amazing at it via gear. So how fun is it for someone to just appear and get to attack me in the middle of something? Maybe is there was a certain server for it, but no. It works in Dark Souls, but not in Warframe. Tenno have no reason to fight each other at this point. Just sparring and such.

Now if you had a competitive 4 v 4/2 v 2 I could see it working. Not generic PvP, but like a Parkour race or something where you can trip up the other players, or a mode where you enter a training simulator and do real PvP on a 2v2 or 4v4.

A Tenno VS Stalker mission would be kind of fun on an alert, but that last thing I want is someone showing up in my mission to kill me, no thanks unless it is placed in a stated place that clearly says "PVP" level.  I really like the fully developed (Developing) PVE system currently in the works so I would vote no to this for now.

I think it's a terrible idea. Here's why: If I'm walking around and fighting a boss like most others, there will some a certain percentage out there that will ONLY invade and will suit themselves to be amazing at it via gear. So how fun is it for someone to just appear and get to attack me in the middle of something? Maybe is there was a certain server for it, but no. It works in Dark Souls, but not in Warframe. Tenno have no reason to fight each other at this point. Just sparring and such. Now if you had a competitive 4 v 4/2 v 2 I could see it working. Not generic PvP, but like a Parkour race or something where you can trip up the other players, or a mode where you enter a training simulator and do real PvP on a 2v2 or 4v4.

What? This doesn't make any sense. Stalkers wouldn't have mods nor anything customizable as far as i know. They would have default weapons and default skills.

Again, this would be something optional. So if you wanted you would never be invaded by anyone and if you get across a stalker it would be a npc. 

They aren't fighting each other. They would be fighting the Stalker. He has his own reasons to do what he does.

And how "real 2v2 PvP" isn't generic PvP? lol. As for the idea of racing.. eh.. i'm not really sure how that would work well. But you should make a topic about it and see what others think about it.

Because it would simply take time that could be used to make content for PVE?

Lol. It's not like they would have to focus all their work in this. Nor that it would affect PVE content that much.

You sound like someone who would complain about a multiplayer mode in a singleplayer game. And don't take this as an insult. It's just an observation.

Lol. It's not like they would have to focus all their work in this. Nor that it would affect PVE content that much.

You sound like someone who would complain about a multiplayer mode in a singleplayer game. And don't take this as an insult. It's just an observation.

its not about the affecting part. I dont think they would merge both together. That wouldnt be smart. See I would like to see a dojo like one on one.

But on the other side, I want to have constant PVE updates. And something like that can only work if they erased all the flaws/bugs in the first place so they can really concentrate on content. And after that, I believe there is place for PVP. Its not like im totally against it. But I dont really see it in the near future^^

But it seems Steve gave away some information about Borderlands2 like duels during chat after the last Q&A.

Something like that would be cool. PVP friends would be pleased and PVE players would be pleased as well cause it doesnt interfere with their game experience. I would guess thats WIn -Win :D

Edited by Venarge

its not about the affecting part. I dont think they would merge both together. That wouldnt be smart. See I would like to see a dojo like one on one.

But on the other side, I want to have constant PVE updates. And something like that can only work if they erased all the flaws/bugs in the first place so they can really concentrate on content. And after that, I believe there is place for PVP. Its not like im totally against it. But I dont really see it in the near future^^

But it seems Steve gave away some information about Borderlands2 like duels during chat after the last Q&A.

Something like that would be cool. PVP friends would be pleased and PVE players would be pleased as well cause it doesnt interfere with their game experience. I would guess thats WIn -Win :D

But this is just an idea. I don't think anything like this would be implemented any time soon and I agree that they should update the flaws/bugs before trying to put a "new game mode" like this in game. I do want the constant PVE updates too, but that doesn't mean they can't think about the future and new stuff.

That's why I think it's nice to discuss with others and try to find a way that will please most people (since it's impossible to please everyone). Instead of just denying any possibility like this. =)

Edited by Dashx

That's why I think it's nice to discuss with others and try to find a way that will please most people (since it's impossible to please everyone). Instead of just denying any possibility like this. =)

True. =)

Its just so annoying that these threads are "spammed" around >.<

Thats why I do bad posts some time =(

Edited by Venarge

A few practical questions (sorry if I've missed this so far)..

1) Which of the abilities listed on the wiki would/ should this stalker frame have?

2) Given that the stalker isn't going to have a chance to "grind" up his energy, how much of an energy pool should he have on zoning in?

3) Will this stalker be allowed to zone in out of sight of the party, or would it be the same room (hope there's no lag)?

I was getting so ready to spew the usual anti-PVP argument but...

Hmmmmmmm....

Could be a lot of fun, but it's probably going to take a lot of work to implement fairly.  I think I'd rather the devs focus on their PvE goal for now, but if they ever decide to dip their toes into PvP this WOULD be a great way to do it.

I kind of love this idea. But what if people want to play a different Tenno rather than just the Stalker. There could be some system put in where you can just become a rogue Tenno that kills other Tennos. Of course there is always solo and private if they don't want to have a chance to be stalked. Also in online games most of the time you are in a group of 4 which increases your chance of surviving. I do like the thought of this type of PvP.

Impossible to balance, what about invincbility/invisibility/long duration stuns? high dmg abilities and weapons? Do headshots to you deal double damage? can you get critted? what boni do you get, since you dont realy expect to be able to solo 4 full leveled and modded people? or do you plan to stalk only noobs to ruin their game?

If they imply PvP, which i hope, it should only be in a special arena or special levels.

Your idea will only lead to frustration, on both sides.

"Oh these damn noobs had 2 mags and 2 rhinos, i was dead the moment one mag pulled me into them!"

"Omg this stupid stalker just ulted with ash and we were all dead, why? We allmost finished the mission!"

"What the hell, i died in one second because of his op overcharged afuris he emptied right into my face!"

Its only fun for the winning side. And the stalker has nothing to lose, while the regular Tennos will probably want to finish their mission.

One vs many is allways difficult to balance, but in a PvE focussed game, impossible.

Impossible to balance, what about invincbility/invisibility/long duration stuns? high dmg abilities and weapons? Do headshots to you deal double damage? can you get critted? what boni do you get, since you dont realy expect to be able to solo 4 full leveled and modded people? or do you plan to stalk only noobs to ruin their game?

If they imply PvP, which i hope, it should only be in a special arena or special levels.

Your idea will only lead to frustration, on both sides.

"Oh these damn noobs had 2 mags and 2 rhinos, i was dead the moment one mag pulled me into them!"

"Omg this stupid stalker just ulted with ash and we were all dead, why? We allmost finished the mission!"

"What the hell, i died in one second because of his op overcharged afuris he emptied right into my face!"

Its only fun for the winning side. And the stalker has nothing to lose, while the regular Tennos will probably want to finish their mission.

One vs many is allways difficult to balance, but in a PvE focussed game, impossible.

This. Since the game isn't built around PvP, it is near impossible to balance it without throwing everything away. Though the idea sounds cool, there is no guarantee that it will be fun for both sides. Also not to mention practical issues such as lag. We already have laggy matches, we don't need the host tearing stalkers a new one because they can't even move.

Instead of 'striving' to become the Stalker through making the Stalker Warframe, what if they did it like Old Monk in Demon Souls:

Any Online players has a chance to be 'summoned' to become the Stalker, joining the target's Online/Private session a la Darkmoon using the Stalker warframe and all the weapons or abilities that entails. Random Stalker, random target. No intentional D-ickwraithing.

Of course they'd still keep the NPC Stalker for use when a target can't be matched to a Stalker, or when they're playing Offline.

Okay, guys. it's obvious you want to play DS. so let's just go play some Dark Souls, have our spirits crushed, and come back to Warframes. Sound good?

Okay, guys. it's obvious you want to play DS. so let's just go play some Dark Souls, have our spirits crushed, and come back to Warframes. Sound good?

Dark Souls doesn't crush spirits, it just lightly caresses it with a hammer (that's upgraded to Lightning +5) ;P

And:

Just wanted to explain that I pitched my suggestion in this thread because I saw that the "Get Stalkerframe > Become The Stalker" was too exploitable, and offered an alternative that might help bring more challenge for the target. I supported making the Stalker more intelligent by letting a player take the reins.

I did not pitch in to support PvP, as the devs clearly stated their views on that subject. The Dark Soul/Demon Soul parallel was for the method, not the lore or motivation. No one will be able to say "Huh I wanna Stalk people today and keep blocking other people's progress instead of playing the game as it is normally", thus turning into a parallel of D-ickwraiths or disruptive PvP-ers.

As it is Players will get Stalked anyways, whether they want it or not, there really isn't a need to go "oh who would want to get stalked, anyway".

So what if we let someone get a chance to play Stalker, join one mission, take out the target and then continue on with their game.

A target's eligibility is determined by however it is right now: Kill a boss, yadda yadda I don't know the details, mid game the target's client will send a prompt to matchmaking. A Stalker is 'chosen' if they have good ping with the target, and some non-farmable trigger like after they complete a mission, but before they rejoin the lobby, something like "Assassination target found: <playername> is guilty. Accept/Deny?" for all of the five seconds pre return to lobby. If no one replies the prompt for say 5 minutes, shut down that target's request and generate an NPC Stalker. As far as I can imagine, this would prevent people from lobby-camping and wait for a "Stalk Y/N?" prompt, and actually play some levels.

Having a good run with teammates? Decline and continue on, or take 5 minutes and Stalk the target. Playing online with random strangers and host is probably gonna kick players anyway? Accept and hop into a 'bonus stage' before you hop to the next game.

And yes I do play Dark Souls, albeit never online for easily figureable reasons. I played it for the sense of adventure and awesome feeling at beating a boss. I play Warframe because it's like Mass Effect story mode, except we're shooting things 100% more instead of advancing a plot with some shooting mixed in, with the added benefit that I could play together with my siblings as a team, instead of competitively.

And I'm sorry, I don't usually like to quote my own post, but if you read through the thread until at least until the 2nd page you'd understand that we (at least me personally) don't want to turn it into Dark/Demon Souls.

Also I don't like being quoted as an example. I find it terribly rude to be quoted on something I posted so long ago, and see it being used as a hollow (lol qq more casul go back to CoD) argument against a reasonable suggestion.

Have a good day, cheers mate :D

Edited by Shion963