The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 2.0: Shiny, But Useless Toy.

letir

Firstly, I'm going to wait til M2.0 comes out before I give proper feedback on it as a whole.

As far as QTE's are concerned:

They're overdone to the point that even the very mention of those horrid abominations makes me wish they were never in games at all. Having to smash X or whatever on my keyboard as fast as I can is not anywhere near as fun as choosing whether I shoot an enemy in the head, use a power on them, or slice/smash/stab them to death, etc. 

QTE's are terrible. Enough said.

2) Bullets and other "small things" parrying automaticly when you have melee in hands. Big dangers (such as strong projectiles/melee strikes) must be blocked.

So they're going in the  jedi knight  parrying system? cool! :O

I understand your desire to simply charge into a 12 heavily armored and well equipped marines and start tearing them apart at no penalty to you. That being said, what you ask for is irrational on many levels:

1) Change the game's genre.

2) Force 1 and only 1 playstyle on everyone.

3) &!$$ off everyone that ever invested anything in guns.

4) Destroy the game's pace.

5) Completely revolve a game around 1 feature of it.

I could go on but I'd rather not.

I know and about irrational at many levels. Slasher (with viable melee) are all irrational.

Shot from Soma and kill target.

Shot from Penta and kill g. squad.

Stop being so creative and be effective.

I don't always want to be super  effective : I want to have fun , remeber that ?

TO balance the Penta issue they could reduce it's ammo though -_- like all launchers

Power creep much?

Edited by Deidaku

They're overdone to the point that even the very mention of those horrid abominations makes me wish they were never in games at all. Having to smash X or whatever on my keyboard as fast as I can is not anywhere near as fun as choosing whether I shoot an enemy in the head, use a power on them, or slice/smash/stab them to death, etc. 

QTE's are terrible. Enough said.

Who said about smashing? I talk about fast sequince. Different buttons, different order of "strikes" for every enemy, diferent timing.

Whats so good about a game that limits playstyle? I mean, youre playing to have fun right? You want to play your way and let others play their way, and not create limits simply because one thinks its not as effective as the other?

Who said about smashing? I talk about fast sequince. Different buttons, different order of "strikes" for every enemy, diferent timing.

Then elaborate your definition of QTE, because we obviously have different views of what makes a QTE. Every QTE I've seen takes all freedom away from the player in favor of a button smashing fest to go through some scripted event, whether it's part of a single player campaign or dealing with a particular enemy. They're annoying as hell and shouldn't go in warframe. It'd break the flow too damn much.

Whats so good about a game that limits playstyle? I mean, youre playing to have fun right? You want to play your way and let others play their way, and not create limits simply because one thinks its not as effective as the other?

You don't need choices according to some people around here. Choices are bad. #sarcasm

Edited by MaverickZero

Cant wait untill half of you flaming this guy get off your Rhino's,Ash and Lokis and actually try to melee 30+ mobs. Should be even more lol if you do it solo.

OP has merit, not all of it. But mainly risk vs reward high enemy damage 30+ and most importantly.......the knockdown fest that is sure to come The forums will be a river of tears come day one of melee 2.0. Provided chain knockdowns/pulls/stuns are not adressed by then.

Edited by WARLOCKE

Then elaborate your definition of QTE, because we obviously have different views of what makes a QTE. Every QTE I've seen takes all freedom away from the player in favor of a button smashing fest to go through some scripted event, whether it's part of a single player campaign or dealing with a particular enemy. They're annoying as hell and shouldn't go in warframe. It'd break the flow too damn much.

I see few types and QTE, and talk about preferable.

"Button smashing" is part of skill and give some kind of reward, what's all.

Cant wait untill half of you flaming this guy get off your Rhino's,Ash and Lokis and actually try to melee 30+ mobs. Should be even more lol if you do it solo.

OP has merit, not all of it. But mainly risk vs reward high enemy damage 30+ and most importantly.......the knockdown fest that is sure to come The forums will be a river of tears come day one of melee 2.0. Provided chain knockdowns/pulls/stuns are not adressed by then.

And who in their right mind jump into a group of 30+ soldiers and try to knife them all to death? Even with what the OP suggested it is a very stupid decision.

And who in their right mind jump into a group of 30+ soldiers and try to knife them all to death? Even with what the OP suggested it is a very stupid decision.

Group? 2-3 of CC enemies can keep you on the ground.

Firstly, passing judgement on a system you have 0 experience with is simply moronic. 

Secondly, "FPS" stands for "First-person shooter". With the exception of scoped-in snipers, Warfame has and always will be a third-person shooter. 

But "third-person shooter" is a term that is quite encompassing. "Third-person shooter" isn't exclusive to Gears of War style gameplay, where the sole focus is on shooting, with a single melee attack. On the contrary. Today's genre terminology are genre-crossing. A shooter can have RPG elements (Borderlands 2), RTS elements (Starhawk), tower defense elements (Sanctum 2) and so on. (The same goes for other genre-bending titles.) 

Also, Warframe's combat mechanics are far from "simple". There's several movement and orientation combos that definitely set it apart from similar titles. It's combat mechanics aren't "deep", but certainly more complex than "simple". This isn't you're typical "point and shoot the mans" shooter.

And it is because the gameplay favors gunplay rather than swordplay that DE is making melee more viable. You'll still be able to Quick Attack with "E", that system will remain relatively untouched. Straight up equipping your weapon will not only increase your melee power, but allow for combos, blocking/parrying/riposte, and so on that you wouldn't have other wise been able to do at the expense of being able to kill at range. 

There are a significant percentage of players that WANT this, DE WANTS this. It takes their gameplay to a new level. And I can guarantee there will be people who exclusively use melee weapons or guns to a minimal extent who will absolutely wipe the floor with any player who chooses guns as their primary means of offense. There will be players who will pull off insane moves and combos that most won't.

Thirdly, ranged weapons are certainly not the "master race". Not all weapons in Warframe are created equal. I'd love to see a Braton deal as much carnage as a Galatine can.

You CAN kill enemies one-by-one from cover, but Warframe's A.I. don't normally support such a play style, especially when there's enemies designed just to counter that style by rushing you and melee'ing you.

Sure, your ammunition can be replenished throughout the mission. Melee doesn't HAVE ammunition, however. And theoretically can run out. You only need to wait a few seconds for your stamina to replenish. Then you can return to hacking at hordes of enemies you would have otherwise been killing one-by-one. 

Same with powers. They have a limit. Once you're out, you need an Energy Orb, or Item to replenish it. 

Absolute Block/Parry would be completely broken and unbalanced. Even now, blocking only blocks a certain amount of damage and reflects a certain amount of damage (with mods). Tenno can't block everything and we haven't seen anything that proves otherwise. 

DE has already commented on Parrying and Riposte. If I recall correctly, timing a Parry will open the target up to a devastating attack. No QTEs. New enemies are also on the way.

Damage models have already received a rework. 

Restricting ranged weapon ammunition is an unnecessary nerf and would only damage gameplay. 

As I said at the beginning. judging a system you have no experience with is simply moronic. How do YOU know that Melee 74.0 won't be a viable system? Have you even been keeping up with DE's statements on the matter?

Edited by Barbetti

Firstly, passing judgement on a system you have 0 experience with is simply moronic. 

Secondly, "FPS" stands for "First-person shooter". With the exception of scoped-in snipers, Warfame has and always will be a third-person shooter. 

But "third-person shooter" is a term that is quite encompassing. "Third-person shooter" isn't exclusive to Gears of War style gameplay, where the sole focus is on shooting, with a single melee attack. On the contrary. Today's genre terminology are genre-crossing. A shooter can have RPG elements (Borderlands 2), RTS elements (Starhawk), tower defense elements (Sanctum 2) and so on. (The same goes for other genre-bending titles.) 

Also, Warframe's combat mechanics are far from "simple". There's several movement and orientation combos that definitely set it apart from similar titles. It's combat mechanics aren't "deep", but certainly more complex than "simple". This isn't you're typical "point and shoot the mans" shooter.

And it is because the gameplay favors gunplay rather than swordplay that DE is making melee more viable. You'll still be able to Quick Attack with "E", that system will remain relatively untouched. Straight up equipping your weapon will not only increase your melee power, but allow for combos, blocking/parrying/riposte, and so on that you wouldn't have other wise been able to do at the expense of being able to kill at range. 

There are a significant percentage of players that WANT this, DE WANTS this. It takes their gameplay to a new level. And I can guarantee there will be people who exclusively use melee weapons or guns to a minimal extent who will absolutely wipe the floor with any player who chooses guns as their primary means of offense. There will be players who will pull off insane moves and combos that most won't.

Thirdly, ranged weapons are certainly not the "master race". Not all weapons in Warframe are created equal. I'd love to see a Braton deal as much carnage as a Galatine can.

You CAN kill enemies one-by-one from cover, but Warframe's A.I. don't normally support such a play style, especially when there's enemies designed just to counter that style by rushing you and melee'ing you.

Sure, your ammunition can be replenished throughout the mission. Melee doesn't HAVE ammunition, however. And theoretically can run out. You only need to wait a few seconds for your stamina to replenish. Then you can return to hacking at hordes of enemies you would have otherwise been killing one-by-one. 

Same with powers. They have a limit. Once you're out, you need an Energy Orb, or Item to replenish it. 

Absolute Block/Parry would be completely broken and unbalanced. Even now, blocking only blocks a certain amount of damage and reflects a certain amount of damage (with mods). Tenno can't block everything and we haven't seen anything that proves otherwise. 

DE has already commented on Parrying and Riposte. If I recall correctly, timing a Parry will open the target up to a devastating attack. No QTEs. New enemies are also on the way.

Damage models have already received a rework. 

Restricting ranged weapon ammunition is an unnecessary nerf and would only damage gameplay. 

As I said at the beginning. judging a system you have no experience with is simply moronic. How do YOU know that Melee 74.0 won't be a viable system? Have you even been keeping up with DE's statements on the matter?

Thanks for clearing some things up.

I was addressing his suggestion. So let me ask, in your suggestion, do you EVER get knocked down? you know like anything made from matter.

If you miss strong CC attack, you will be knocked down. If you you evade/block it - you will not.

What's the difference? In my suggestion all CC attacks have possibility of evasion or block.

Second move shouldnt have you go through any sort of trial and error, and should be done at your own pace, as long as you dont give the enemy a chance to retaliate.

Just spam attacks and evade strikes.

Warframe, as shooter, have plenty problems for melee. I point on most important in my sugestion. Do you see any signs of working in lifestream? Or just fancy animation?

We have CC problems loooong ago, but DE just ignored it. We have power spam problem looooong ago, and DE just ignored it.

What's why i create my suggestion - for pointing.