The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Any Regretful Purchases?

Valiant

Upon posting in another thread (What game are you switching to) it got me thinking. What purchases have you made which you regret? As I stated in the thread I definitely do not regret WF purchases, even though I thought I would in the future. However, I do have a number of regretful purchases. Currently they are as follows: (I didn't intend to write so much but I did)

GunZ 2 Founders, Nether, BF4/Premium, SRO, EUIV, Splinter Cell BL.

GunZ 2 Founders - this may take off once it properly hits Steam but I don't have much confidence in it now, considering their P2W path I think they're going to take. Plus I think they're going to have it where you 'rent' weapons and cosmetics again, rather than permanently own. That was the massive downside for Gunz 1 for me when ijji took over and got that vehicle moving. Massive cash cow and people heavily fueled it. Still, it was fun to wield 'dual' default Maximillion rifles and mow the pretty P2W players down whilst they screamed 'spray noob!'. Yeah, riiiight. 

Nether - I avoided WarZ easily primarily because I had read up on it a lot before it came to Steam and DayZ now bored/annoyed me. I bought this as a friend introduced it to me much earlier saying it looked neat. Bought it without properly reading on the forums as I thought it would be different. 

BF4 & Premium - I pre-purchased BF3 in good faith, like many at the time, but we were fooled. I didn't buy into premium until all the DLC had been released and reaped the cheap discounted premium. I thought premium wasn't that bad because you did get all the DLC at a 'cheaper' price. So when BF4 came around I decided to pre-order at the very last moment simply because I wanted a new game to play and upon thinking about my experience with BF3P, I figured the premium would be a good purchase. Surely BF3 couldn't get worse? I was wrong. 

Europa Universalis IV - Bought this game at a reduced price and I have most of it's DLC. Catch is that I've never played it. I bought it as I wanted a game which had depth, yet I've never had the interest in playing it thus far >_> I imagine it's a very good game, just never found the effort to play it.

Silkroad Online - Didn't spend that much money (I hope) and I used what I bought at the time but what am I doing now? Definitely not playing that game any more and considering it's moved onto SO2 or whatever it is, it makes the purchases null.

Splintercell Blacklist - Bought it for the coop, convinced by my friend who is a massive fan of SC. We both regret it. 

Probably few others but I can't recall at the moment.Just drotted down key ones. Helped me to review what I'd bought as well. Stuff I don't regret would definitely include Exteel related items/currency (first F2P game I played online and invested money into), DS1, ME3 (aside from the lousy ending). 

TL;DR - Do you regret buying anything game related? If so, what were they and why?

Edited by Naith

Can't say i have any regretful Purchases that come to games.  

I do have disappoints though.  Many old MMO's that I use to play, and support till they went downhill.    Community was falling apart, generic answers given to players seeking help.   Almost like the Devs/Publishers  were giving up on the game too.   Many had great promise even some that ware US ports of oversea's MMO's,   but the teams incharge and who they gave authority too to help people out.  Lead to the downfall.   

I'm glad to see that DE is holding strong to keeping its Players in the loop and even Helping them out.   

DE if you read this..   

"Never Forget your Players.  Always keep them in the loop.  The ups, the downs, the stalemates.   Happy Players,  Means Happy Community.   Happy Community means continued Support.  Continued Support, Means.  You get to keep making games you want to make and enjoy :3"

Nether is pointless, you achieve nothing.

Nether

Nether, that gave me the biggest feeling of buyers remorse I think I have ever felt.

Not games related but like RevoThornax said, beats headphones.... They sounded terrible broke in 2 weeks and my Seinheissers that I have had for years are much more reliable for quarter the price.

No buyers remorse in Warframe.

Yet. 

I surprisingly don't have any regrets when it comes to the content of my Steam library.  I've always extensively researched games that I was interested in and avoided professional game journalists like the plague.  If there's not much user media of a game, I find other means of seeing what it's like without wasting money.

Now what I do regret, is spending so much plat last year.  Rushing things, buying things, makes me cringe every time I remember how much plat I could have right now.

Freaking. Garry's Mod. Want to play a game? Spend 5 minutes just to connect to the server then get instabanned for killing some 10 year old who screams "RDM!!". Also I personally dont really like many of the gamemodes, but that's just me.

On a side note, I was very pleasantly surprised by the game Hard Reset. Feels like an old-school shooter. Got it on sale. 

Dont really regret plat purchases. Yet.

So there, a story of buyer's remorse and a story of... reverse buyer's remorse?

Freaking. Garry's Mod. Want to play a game? Spend 5 minutes just to connect to the server then get instabanned for killing some 10 year old who screams "RDM!!". Also I personally dont really like many of the gamemodes, but that's just me.

On a side note, I was very pleasantly surprised by the game Hard Reset. Feels like an old-school shooter. Got it on sale. 

Dont really regret plat purchases. Yet.

So there, a story of buyer's remorse and a story of... reverse buyer's remorse?

try the new shadow warrior, from the same creators (Flying Wild Hog) , awesome game.

Mass Effect 3, Singleplayer was disappointment not only because of ending but whole story had too much drama and little logic behind it.

(I mean come on, single rocket tore down reaper from single hit but it took entire quarian fleet hit smaller reaper several times?)

Good thing multiplayer kept me entertained.

Witcher 2: the mature story driven complex combat game.

After playing i had different opinion on this subject, the mature story consisted of political decisions which were as linear as possible and few naked breast shots.

The early combat consisted of infinite amount of dodge+ quick hits combo, and why did they bothered with block?

Lead and Gold: Wild West TPS game, with 4 classes and few maps, quickly forgotten.

Edited by Morgax

Warhammer 40k : Space marine:

I bought it right after it was released for 60€ because I'm quite a Wh40k fan.

The DoW game series was quite neat, so I thought SpaceMarine would be nice too (even though it's a different genre)...

1) It's fcking BORING. Basically just hack and slay with halfway decent graphics , but lacks all the variety other hack and slay games might have (god of war for example)

2) About 0 story/ background information (except these few audiologs you can find maybe. still poorly executed) - I expect something more complex from something that's labeled "WH40k"

2.1) campaign mode is done on normal within 10 hours.

3) Online multiplayer doesn't work half of the time/ takes too long to find a match.

4) PLUS- imagine the same hosting system WF has..... hosting a game for max 20 players instead of 4.

5) So I paid 60 bucks for this.... and yet THQ releases additional game modes and a S#&$load of dlc's and wants me to pay additional money....

NO. JUST.NO.FCK.YOU. NEVER.AGAIN.

I don't understand why this game has pretty good rating everywhere.

Black and white 2

bought it for only 9€ , so it's not that much of a tragedy.

What is in fact a tragedy is, that a game with a pretty good and potentially entertaining concept is so poorly executed.

Which is sad - I think I could have had hours of fun with the game - unfortunately the incredible bad controls and confusing UI ruins it all. You just end up losing the overview. That's frustrating.