Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dual Secondaries Might As Well Be Single Weapons

CloudAran

Both weapons share the same ammo count, and must be fired and reloaded simultaneously, thus negating almost any advantages of dual wielding.

In this game dual wielding is just "So you liked that secondary? How about the same thing with double the fire rate, double the reload time and a little off some stats like accuracy for balance and flavor?" Sure, that's cute and all, but it might as well have just been another gun, with the way it works mechanically.

I would love to see dual weapons treated with a little more versatility, which is their REAL advantage in most other situations. Simply having each weapon have its own ammo count and allowing reloading independent of each other would do a LOT to improve this. Each weapon would still auto-reload when empty, but hitting reload before then would allow you to reload whichever weapon has the least ammo in it (allowing staggered reloads). This also means you could reload both normally simply by double-tapping reload.

- For those who like dual weapons as is, they simply expend both weapons' ammo and auto-reload as normal (maximum burst DPS, but still with a longer reload time) The option to reload prematurely still exists, and just requires an extra button/key press.

- For those who don't want to be caught reloading, and unable to fire, this would allow you to stagger your reloading to maintain constant controlled fire, but lowering your damage output periodically for reloads. This seems particularly ideal for precision weapons with long reloads, but also good for bullet hoses, as you can maintain suppressing fire without downtime.

Overall, this change would add a lot of versatility to dual secondaries at no cost to the existing gameplay experience.

Bump if you agree, or if you don't tell me why you think this idea wouldn't work, so I can refine it.

Yeah, the Gunzerker!

Seriously though, that worked really well in Borderlands 2, you could fire in a way that when one gun was reloading the other was firing.

Would be nice, but I think it would need to be an option, many will like the way it is right now.

I think dual secondaries should lose the bility to zoom in and instead allow that button to fire the second gun independently from the first

Independent firing would be another HUGE improvement, but there's some weapons you might still want your zoom for (and so players using it now would lose out). I suggested the reload idea because that's one that nobody loses out on implementing and would allow for stagger firing and stagger reloading all on its own.

I think the strength of this idea is that it need not disrupt how players currently use the weapons, while allowing everyone to utilize staggered reloads and staggered firing.

All gain, no loss.