The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

De Please Cap Fps Without V-Sync

trowiegamingonpc

Im sure this has been posted before and I know it's not an issue which a lot of people have, but on the menu's my FPS goes to 500+ causing my gpu to start coil whining. Vsync would fix it but as just about everyone know vsync sucks, all I ask for is for DE to add an option to cap fps to 60 or 120 etc. I play at 70-120fps on a 120Hz monitor, I don't need 500+ fps especially on a menu... causing unnecessary strain on my gpu putting load to 100%.

Hi trowiegamingonpc,

There is no need for DE to implement the feature your requesting as this functionality is already available in 3rd party tools, namely:

MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner , & RadeonPro.

I use it myself to cap frames to 120. Afterburner & rivatuner are gpu agnostic, RadeonPro is AMD specific.

Hope this helps you keep you gpu temps within an acceptable range.

Hyabusa-2k

Hi trowiegamingonpc,

There is no need for DE to implement the feature your requesting as this functionality is already available in 3rd party tools, namely:

MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner , & RadeonPro.

I use it myself to cap frames to 120. Afterburner & rivatuner are gpu agnostic, RadeonPro is AMD specific.

Hope this helps you keep you gpu temps within an acceptable range.

Hyabusa-2k

I've tried those already, RadeonPro is dead btw. The rivatuner OSD doesn't work with 64bit games. If I play in 32bit it limits the fps just like I want, but then the frames drop 30-40 where I get 70-120 on 64bit.

I already know this isn't a big issue for DE, I am not complaining. It's easy enough to implement though.

Edited by trowiegamingonpc

I would ask you to check MSI afterburner again, as 64bit support was included, two updates ago!  I use it myself.

Radeonpro is NOT dead either, John has had some issues to work through & life keeps getting in the way, so his time is not a free as it once was.

Take a look here:

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/rtss_rivatuner_statistics_server_download.html

It works fine for me.

Hyabusa-2k

Edited by Hyabusa-2k

I would ask you to check MSI afterburner again, as 64bit support was included, two updates ago!  I use it myself.

Radeonpro is NOT dead either, John has had some issues to work through & life keeps getting in the way, so his time is not a free as it once was.

Take a look here:

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/rtss_rivatuner_statistics_server_download.html

It works fine for me.

Hyabusa-2k

REALLY? I've tried everything to get it to work... I know 64bit support was added, but it won't work with Warframe, im not the only one it doesn't work for. Could you SS your settings/profile for WF please?

I've tried RadeonPro that didn't work for me either, it hasn't been updated for ages so it probably has issues itself, with the latest amd drivers I don't want to change anything while he's not working on it, when he gets back to developing it sure I'll use it then.

Here is proof it works on Warframe.x64.exe for me:

AB-fcap-pic2.jpg

I wasn't asking you to prove it :) I believe you! I just wanted to try and put everything as you have to see if it'll work... Thank you, i'll try that now. What version rivatuner is that? Still not working for me

It is MSI afterburner NOT rivatuner. MSI paid unwinder to develop the 64bit server so its exclusive to afterburner.

(edit)

There should be a new version dropping before the 28th, as the latest beta expires then! here you go - MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 18

available here: http://www.guru3d.com/files_categories/videocards_overclocking_tweaking.html

Edited by Hyabusa-2k

It is MSI afterburner NOT rivatuner.  MSI paid unwinder to develop the 64bit server so its exclusive to afterburner.

thats the problem then, the rivatuner I have isn't the correct one? well when I downloaded afterburner there was no rivatuner, I'd check OSD in afterburner and it would send me to the afterburner website. Could you give me the download link to where you got afterburner please?

It is MSI afterburner NOT rivatuner. MSI paid unwinder to develop the 64bit server so its exclusive to afterburner.

(edit)

There should be a new version dropping before the 28th, as the latest beta expires then! here you go - MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 18

available here: http://www.guru3d.com/files_categories/videocards_overclocking_tweaking.html

I don't think there will be an update before then... Here's what unwinder posted -  "Sorry guys, I was not working on anything related to AB during last couple weeks because of all this crap happening with Russia/Ukraine, which depresses people here a lot. The place where I live is a border of Russia/Ukraine. I'll try but I cannot promise you next beta on the next week."  Thanks for the help hyabusa, i'll try a clean install with the link you gave.

EDIT: It worked, awesome. Thanks pal appreciate it!

DE please don't cap fps without vsync. :)

Oh good, glad it worked for you. :)

Your welcome.

(Edit)

Since Alex posted about the difficulties in his immediate environment, he has added the following:

"Poster:Unwinder
Date: 03/21/2014 07:14 AM

On new version:

We'll release one month old build of AB as new beta on the next week. It doesn't include all scheduled feature improvements it is better than nothing. Changes list includes:

Added optional unified GPU usage monitoring path via D3DKMT performance counters. You may tick Enable unified GPU usage monitoring option in AMD compatibilities properties in General tab as a workaround to replace native AMD GPU usage monitoring if it is working improperly (e.g. broken GPU usage monitoring in AMD ADL API for AMD Sea Islands GPU family)
Added basic monitoring for unsupported GPUs (e.g. Intel integrated iGPUs):
o Now GPU usage and videomemory usage can be monitored and displayed in On-Screen Display on any GPU, so you can use MSI Afterburner to monitor graphics subsystem on laptops without dedicated NVIDIA/AMD GPU
o Extended GPU usage monitoring for Intel integrated iGPUs. You can independently monitor usage of main GPU execution unit (labeled as GPU usage) and MFX unit (labeled as "VID usage" to keep NVIDIA-styled GPU domains naming)
Added NV12 compression to the list of available video formats to Videocapture tab. This format can be used to replace uncompressed video recording with fixed 2x compression ratio at the cost of some color information loss caused by RGB to YUV 4:2:0 color space conversion
RivaTuner Statistics Server has been upgraded to version 6.1.0
"

(Edit)

As I predicted :) here is the new MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 beta 19 download link:

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/msi_afterburner_beta_download.html

Hyabusa-2K

Edited by Hyabusa-2k