The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question To The Community : Would Unmasked Npc Tenno Be A Good Idea To You?

Deidaku

I like this idea. because of two reason

1. it would allow player to create a more "cannon" lore for their Tenno without breaking immersion (IMO) 

2. It is know that Lotus have an alpha team working for her so this could be an opportunity for DE show us who they are.

No. reason : if they make them look like Justin Bieber it'll appeal to the young ones, but somebody like me will basically hate that (I'm really fed up with the mainstream aesthetical game design seen everywhere else); Soooo it's really better that they stay mysterious as they are right now.

as it is you can imagine your Rhino with Justin Bieber face if you want and I can imagine whatever my twisted mind could imagine for their faces..

totally made me think of this comic contest submission

9kJKKz8.png

I'd be totally against that.

a. Not revealing any racial or cultural details about the Tenno allows everyone to identify with them.

b. Same with the whole "silent protagonists" theme.

Providing no info on my playable character and leave him in a "blanco" state without any voice or personality actually prevents me from identifying further with him/her.

From your point - Frames should be gender-neutral. Playin asexual silent things covered in mysterious magic silk -> "allows everyone to better identify with them" ? :S

lets just agree we dont agree ^^

Or that they are more than human.

Super human.

Most likely, though, they still retain VERY noticable human characteristics... or at least did for a while after returning - if they were, say, energy beings (as some have suggested) I don't think Kaleen would have reacted so strongly to the fact they WERE children (or even be able to recognize them as children).

Providing no info on my playable character and leave him in a "blanco" state without any voice or personality actually prevents me from identifying further with him/her.

From your point - Frames should be gender-neutral. Playin asexual silent things covered in mysterious magic silk -> "allows everyone to better identify with them" ? :S

You're able to create a character for them, other than associate WITH their character. They're EXACTLY what you want them to be, that's what she's saying. It's a heavy RPG element, and yeah not everyone will be able to gravitate towards that, but I feel the majority of people CAN work with that if they try (and I just think it's a lot more fun).

we dont have racial traits, we dont have a specific form of skull or anything. any player can identify himself as a tenno. and it is good no ? frames are just armours, at a point perhaps we will be able to choose our sex rather than being sort of snails, and perhaps even our morphology but a face is pretty much definitive,it would diminish our capacity to feel like we belong :) look : the grineers are the grineers, and same goes for the corpus, i m pretty sure this is easier to stay faceless and voiceless, the lotus talk wayyy enough :)

Nice strawman...

Where did I ever say any of that genus crap? Oh wait.. I totally didn't! How could I possibly identify with an asexual being? I can identfy with a woman more than I can with an asexual being!

Most likely, though, they still retain VERY noticable human characteristics... or at least did for a while after returning - if they were, say, energy beings (as some have suggested) I don't think Kaleen would have reacted so strongly to the fact they WERE children (or even be able to recognize them as children).

I've always thought of them like X-Men mutants in that aspect - still clearly human, but also something more.

Edited by Brimir

not that you can identify with them more, but that no one is excluded from identifying with them because of stated gender/race etc

"Playin asexual silent things covered in mysterious magic silk" ....yeah something like that ! Even if you don't agree Sunfox, what you've said here is like what I like to imagine... Everything is better than a boring generic classical seen everywhere human typical face....

Didnt want to start anything here - just brought the gender thing cause its kind of a racial detail?

IMO having an alternate helmet that shows off a little bit (!) of tennos faces - like Lotus`mask ive mentioned - would be great. Maybe only show the eyes?

I understand that some/most are more comfortable with less information about your character -> leaves more up to your imagination.

Point: I like having Tennos / specific frames added a "personality" by DE - you like to add them by yourself. Just different opinions / playstyle.

Edit: to prevent missunderstandings

Edited by Sunfox069

Well now I don't know what to believe.  Could you give me a general timestamp in the stream that the question came up in?  I must know for certain.

DE stance on not revealing the details of the Tenno:

Confirming that the Tenno are altered human beings (and that the Warframes are armoured suits they wear):

I win.

Edited by Brimir

I've always thought of them like X-Men mutants in that aspect - still clearly human, but also something more.

From now on, I shall use the word "bub" excessively while playing Valkyr.

(regardless: glad to see we've FINALLY found some common ground XD)

Didnt want to start anything here - just brought the gender thing cause its kind of a racial detail?

IMO having an alternate helmet that shows off a little bit (!) of tennos faces - like Lotus`mask ive mentioned - would be great. Maybe only show the eyes?

I understand that some/most are more comfortable with less information about your character -> leaves more up to your imagination.

Point: I like having Tennos / specific frames added a "personality" by DE - you like to add them by yourself. Just different opinions / playstyle.

It's EXACTLY that kind of player-made opinions on the Tenno that Brimir is saying, though, isn't it? Rather than the DE Dev Gods saying "THIS IS WHAT EXCALIBUR IS LIKE! ALL HAIL OUR INTERPRETATION OF THE CHARACTER!"?

No :/

A lot og you misunderstood somehow.

The players should remain masked , that's final 

I was talking about future NPCs and such...remember...The lobbies???

I'd be totally against that.

a. Not revealing any racial or cultural details about the Tenno allows everyone to identify with them.

b. Same with the whole "silent protagonists" theme.

>Implying that the Orokin couldn't have been just as diverse culturally as several places in the world are today.

>NPCs aren't the protagonists so it doesn't really matter if a Tenno that isn't one of yours talks.

>Implying that the Orokin couldn't have been just as diverse culturally as several places in the world are today.

>NPCs aren't the protagonists so it doesn't really matter if a Tenno that isn't one of yours talks.

Check out the YouTube links I provided on the previous page.

This is not my stance on it, but the official DE stance on it.

Check out the YouTube links I provided on the previous page.

This is not my stance on it, but the official DE stance on it.

I watched the stream. I'm basically calling out Steve on it not being the most sound answer...if he means what you think he means.

Because it's about what YOUR Tenno looks like. He doesn't want to confirm the race of any of the specific Tenno you control.

Again, for NPCs it really doesn't matter.

Edited by SolidSp33d

I watched the stream. I'm basically calling out Steve on it.

I don't think it is that they don't want a racially diverse Orokin Empire/Tenno force but rather they don't want to pinpoint the racial identity of particular Warframes.

Like, for example, they don't want to confirm whether or not Ash is black, white or green. They want them all to be just as plausible.

I don't think it is that they don't want a racially diverse Orokin Empire/Tenno force but rather they don't want to pinpoint the racial identity of particular Warframes.

Like, for example, they don't want to confirm whether or not Ash is black, white or green. They want them all to be just as plausible.

I edited my post with more of my thoughts.

And that doesn't mean every Tenno in an Ash frame has to be one race. Unless things work like they do for Tenno's gender when it comes to their race. In regards to the void giving varied abilities and powers depending on gender. Or at least that's how it seems to work and we might assume that if a male Tenno got fire powers in the void those powers would vary from an Ember's and require a different Warframe. If it works like that at all, and also varies things depending on the Tenno's race then it would make sense.

Edited by SolidSp33d

I edited my post with more of my thoughts.

And that doesn't mean every Tenno in an Ash frame has to be one race.

Yeah, but for that to happen AND for them to show Tenno flesh they'd have to start making skin variations for EVERY ethnicity for EVERY frame, else they alienate some. As it stands now, you can put WHATEVER race you want onto your frames and it's cool!

It comes down to a matter of unnecessary work for something that really doesn't make a lick of difference. The Tenno stay masked they can be anything, they stay voiceless they can have any personality - it's that simple.

---

Again, though, I AM of the mind that we should have some kind of Tenno Announcer NPCs as Lotus replacements that COULD have a voice and personalities very different from the Lotus' own - because that way we've got greater reach in reaction/motivation than any ol' Grineer or Corpus announcer could (I just can't see Darvo taking interest in all of these different events that would come up)  and more lines could be added as future events play out, and as I've stated elsewhere, it would add a little less unity to the Tenno (in the sense they ALL seem to have the same opinion ATM) and tome that makes fictional factions stronger. But that's just my opinion.

EDIT: these announcer Tenno could be Stalker-like frames that we'd never be able to play (I'd be cool with that, honestly, it could even mean that DE has a little more freedom to draw from player inspiration WITHOUT having to tie themselves to playstyle with it! But that may 'cause problems of some nature).

Edited by Morec0

Yeah, but for that to happen AND for them to show Tenno flesh they'd have to start making skin variations for EVERY ethnicity for EVERY frame, else they alienate some. As it stands now, you can put WHATEVER race you want onto your frames and it's cool!

It comes down to a matter of unnecessary work for something that really doesn't make a lick of difference. The Tenno stay masked they can be anything, they stay voiceless they can have any personality - it's that simple.

---

Again, though, I AM of the mind that we should have some kind of Tenno Announcer NPCs as Lotus replacements that COULD have a voice and personalities very different from the Lotus' own - because that way we've got greater reach in reaction/motivation than any ol' Grineer or Corpus announcer could (I just can't see Darvo taking interest in all of these different events that would come up)  and more lines could be added as future events play out, and as I've stated elsewhere, it would add a little less unity to the Tenno (in the sense they ALL seem to have the same opinion ATM) and tome that makes fictional factions stronger. But that's just my opinion.

Or DE can just have a few NPCs and tell us upfront or somewhere in game that they don't represent the race of the Tenno you're using. No need to make a ton of Tenno. NPCs everywhere just to prove to people they cover ever race in the spectrum when you can just confirm so with a few words.

Or DE can just have a few NPCs and tell us upfront or somewhere in game that they don't represent the race of the Tenno you're using. No need to make a ton of Tenno. NPCs everywhere just to prove to people they cover ever race in the spectrum when you can just confirm so with a few words.

Unless it was in the game people would have to dig for that information, and that would lead to a lot of angry posts about it by uninformed players, and for it to appear IN the game would just seem weird, as it would be talking about race in a game that really has nothing to do with it. The better route is just to take the path of least resistance and keep them masked - and it's not just a matter of race, it's a matter of HOW the Void "twisted" them. Applying a face to anyone would give a marker of what the Void did to certain frames -  and even with variation there would still be a pool from which players would draw from instead of coming up with their own ideas on it. I'm again that, as I very much prefer player interpretation of the elements over flat-out stating.

The players should remain masked , that's final 

I was talking about future NPCs and such...remember...The lobbies???

Tenno = Tenno ? Providing any information on their appearance/voice/culture would have impact on our playable frames?

If an unmasked Rhino NPC would stand in the HUB - it would have influence on your perception of your rhino - wouldnt it?

Even if the NPCs would be civilian Tennos - you would know a little more whos inside your frame-suit.

Best option then would be to seperate the NPCs from the Tenno race -> Explanation: "Its some friendly race."

And yes, i seem to misunderstand some things -

you dont want much information on Tennos predefined by DE and ask for unmasked Tenno NPCs ?  :S