The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Calling Medics / Podiatrist In This Community.

AVEOX

About 3-4 weeks ago I got a glass splinter taken out of my foot. 

It was reaaally really really tiny you can barely see it but it #*($%%@ up my walking.

Podiatrist scraped off the skin and all was left was a tiny hole on my foot.

It was still sore and I still had to limp for weeks.

I gave it time to heal.

BUUUT instead, it just got swollen and more sensitive......

Went back to my podiatrist and she took a look at it, scraped the skin again and out comes oozing blood.

She put a cream on it (forgot what it was) and she put band-aid and had me keep it dry and covered for 3 days.

After those 3 days I had to change the band-aid everyday and put the gel of Vitamin A capsules on the band-aid.

On top of that, she told me to come back in 2 weeks and we'd laser it. She told me it was Planters Wart which I have no idea how I got. OR could it just be infected wound because she didn't put band-aid when she took out my glass splinter...

She told me to research Half-man-half-tree....

IDK if she's kidding or not.....

NOW QUESTION IS (also TL;DR):

How serious is this? (Planters Wart / or just infected wound because she didn't put band-aid when she took out my glass splinter).

Anyone ever experienced this before?

On a scale of 1-100% / 1-10, what is the cure rate?

Any other helpful, safe, effective, home remedies you can suggest?

Should I use walking sticks? (I know I can walk a bit fine, just tiny unnoticeable limping, plus it doesn't hurt inside my socks and steel toe boots).

Should I not keep it inside socks and boots?

I know this is a really long post but I'm really freaking out I want to give as much details as I can. :(

Edited by AVEOX

Dude you are going to be fine just do everything your doctor told you and if anything changes go see her.

Do not look up stuff on the internet you will do nothing but worry youself over nothing.

and if you are really worried go see another doctor.

But don't worry you will be fine.

Let me start off by saying I'm a type one diabetic, so I know foot injuries.

You probably have a mild infection that is just gone a bit deeper than one would expect due to the nature of the splinters.

Change the band-aid and apply Neosporin (or some equivalent) every day.

Make sure you foot stays CLEAN.

As for walking on it, the more that blood flows, the faster healing will be.

To be blunt, you're freaking out a bit too much. I've had much worse than an infected splinter wound and it always turns out fine.

Now in-grown toenails... THOSE FRIKIN HURT!

Edit: Also, she's kidding.

Edited by Seqan

Dude you are going to be fine just do everything your doctor told you and if anything changes go see her.

Do not look up stuff on the internet you will do nothing but worry youself over nothing.

and if you are really worried go see another doctor.

But don't worry you will be fine.

I really hope so. :l 

I miss running and walking normally and jumping...

Let me start off by saying I'm a type one diabetic, so I know foot injuries.

You probably have a mild infection that is just gone a bit deeper than one would expect due to the nature of the splinters.

Change the band-aid and apply Neosporin (or some equivalent) every day.

Make sure you foot stays CLEAN.

As for walking on it, the more that blood flows, the faster healing will be.

To be blunt, you're freaking out a bit too much. I've had much worse than an infected splinter wound and it always turns out fine.

Now in-grown toenails... THOSE FRIKIN HURT!

Edit: Also, she's kidding.

I just looked up what Neosporin is and it kinda looks like what she put on my first band-aid, or maybe it was something else, like an anti-bacteria or something.

She told me to keep it dry for 3 days.

And I've been applying band-aid with Vitamin A capsule's extracted gel.

But I forgot to ask her if I should wash it after 3rd day... its getting kinda stinky, trying to pat it down with wet tissue and avoiding the wound.

Thanks for telling me about the bleeding = faster healing part!

That one relieved me. Cuz I keep seeing tiny bits of dried blood around the band-aid everytime I change it.

I thought the pressing/pressure when I walk with it keeps the wound open.

I didn't mean bleeding=faster healing. I mean blood flow to the area means faster healing. You don't want it to bleed as it means the wound is still open.

Also, in my experience, leaving it covered in bandaid 24/7 isn't a great idea... Put the neosporin on FIRST, then cover it with the bandaid, and every so often, let it air out.

Above all, KEEP THE AREA CLEAN!

umm i would put some iodine (betadine) on the wound, to clean any bad bacteria away regularly 

i wouldnt use neosporin as it can cause contact dermatitis (basically annoys the skin in that area)

you just have to wait and let it heal, keep it clean and let mother nature do its thing

the bottom of the foot is a hard one because when u walk all your weight and pressure goes onto it 

i wouldnt use neosporin as it can cause contact dermatitis (basically annoys the skin in that area)

This actually is uncommon. Neosporin is still a powerful anti-bacterial ointment and I swear by the stuff.

You could also use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to clean it.