The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Starter Gear Should Already Be Potatoed

(PSN)Daikon177

I think this would do more harm than good personally, for a start the Mk1 Braton is bad early game, encouraging them to stick with it due to potato is a bad idea in itself. Furthermore this presents a false image of the game, the new players will automatically adapt to having a potato installed and so will assume that max level weapon is always 60 for example, will mod their weapons to a point past what is suitable without potatoes etc.

Better to just give them a selection of weapons/better starting weapon if you ask me, potatoes dont seem like a good way to go as they give a false impression of early game play.

It's an interesting solution in the interim, but more modding power won't make the weapon any better if there are no mods to put on it. New players are, most notably, without said mods.

As it is, new players can't get direct help from vets until rank 2, when trading is available. Ironically, getting that rank may be too difficult for a new player with starting gear and no essential mods, so they're trapped until someone taxis them to a high level survival and carries them, where they might find a lucky mod drop that makes the rest of the content available.

Perhaps the rewards for completing rank tests should be mods, like Serration or Hornet Strike, rather than a mere pittance of credits. Otherwise, why bother with mastery rank other than to trade for those mods anyways? The MR system doesn't improve anything meaningful at current, so the least it could do is provide essentials to those who need them.

Edited by Zookes

They should just replace second Braton witn Boltor\Grakata\you name it.

That way new ppl will not have to suffer while leveling 2 Bratons. Sooooooo boring. 

Also Mercury is ugly. This game's strong side is its prettiness. But Mercury hides it and gives ugly impression.

They should make Venus more close, like after 2nd or 3rd Mercury map.

I don't think the starter gear should be potatoed.

The potato would be wasted.

But I do think you should get both a reactor and a catalyst for your first two mastery rank awards.

I also think a specific gift should accompany each mastery rank completion.

It can be a cosmetic not available in the market, weapons not available anywhere else, badges, or the rest of the first color palette.

Just something.

Whatever it is should have value and some of it should be exclusive to Mastery Rank completion awards.

It's an interesting solution in the interim, but more modding power won't make the weapon any better if there are no mods to put on it. New players are, most notably, without said mods.

As it is, new players can't get direct help from vets until rank 2, when trading is available. Ironically, getting that rank may be too difficult for a new player with starting gear and no essential mods, so they're trapped until someone taxis them to a high level survival and carries them, where they might find a lucky mod drop that makes the rest of the content available.

Perhaps the rewards for completing rank tests should be mods, like Serration or Hornet Strike, rather than a mere pittance of credits. Otherwise, why bother with mastery rank other than to trade for those mods anyways? The MR system doesn't improve anything meaningful at current, so the least it could do is provide essentials to those who need them.

In the case of mastery rank - they have there is a quite easy solution to give it relevance and that's to give it access to rank appropriate cosmetics, be it scarves, sashes, or energy colours.

Besides the actual warframes you start off with all the gear is crap anyways so I dont see why it wouldnt be a good idea just to let them have potatoes pre installed to make it easier on them, its not an easy game for newbies. The reason I wanted to do this post is because its hard to keep friends interested in this game when you start off with crap and if you want anything good you gotta build it and wait 1-3 days after you had already farmed for hours to get the parts and resources and you can add on more time if they haven't even unlocked the boss that drops there parts yet. At least this way the stuff they start off with will get them to where they want to go before they get frustrated and leave.

Thanks for reading, im not good with words but hopefully you can understand where im coming from.

this is what happened to me, i was telling my friend about this game and so he downloaded it and played for about 2 days and after that he said to me iv got no good weapons and i got too bored and then he uninstalled it and now i can't convince him to come back and give it another try.

Gonna have to disagree with this proposition. Sure, it's not an easy game for new players, but holding their hand in the early-game doesn't help either. By having Catalysts pre-installed, you're giving new players a crutch and skipping over a big part in weapon progression. Not only would it make them more inclined to keep their Braton, Lato, and Skana/Cronus, but they wouldn't know that upgrading with Catalysts double the capacity of weapons.

Hypothetically speaking, at least. 

But let's just assume that this proposition is implemented. It is only a very small band-aid on a much bigger issue. The new player experience needs a total overhaul. Giving new players already upgraded weapons wouldn't help one bit. 

In my opinion, what needs to be done is Mercury needs to be the "tutorial" in its entirety, teaching the player about various game modes, enemies, damage types, etc... as they play through the planet nodes, all the meanwhile giving them bits and pieces of story and preparing them for the rest of the game.

Just put it in the tutorial.  Give them taters for the weapons and have the tutorial force them to put them in them while explaining what they do.

Even with a tater the skana and mk1-braton get outclassed hard and fast so there shouldn't be much worry about them sticking with the starter weapons for too long.