Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ember, Mag, Or Volt?

michaelwii

Question

Hello, I've had my Loki at 30 for nearly a week now, and I was wondering about what warframe I should try out next. Reason I've narrowed down to these three are because I believe they offer a good combination of speed and damage.

As I already said, only warframe I've used was Loki. Although teleportation can be fun, his "ultimate" leaves alot to be desired. He didn't have as much punch as I would have liked (and starting with 75 shield/health meant he couldn't take as many punches as well).

Why Mag? Because she's got a good base shield and armor value (at the cost of health though) and 3/4 powers seem very good from their very description (not so sure about the Shield Polarize). Besides, her &#!, um I meant assets look very promising ;)

Why Volt? Because of decent base armor and health, awesome base shield, and a superb combination of powers. That being said, I'm sick of having to look at a dude rear end after 20+ hours with Loki, err rather, I meant that I wanted to try out a female character so as to not look sexist >.<

Why Ember?

250px-Ember.jpg

Them biceps, so orange. That 3-pack. THOSE THIGHS. THAT &amp;#&#33;. DO YOU NOT SEE WHY EMBER IS ON THIS LIST??

*hypervenilating from shouting... and other emotions*

Not enough?

Good shield recharge, shield capacity, health, and her powers sound awesome :D

So, please help me decide!

NOTE: Would also put Banshee here, but she looks too much like a domantrix - umm, what I meant to say was that her powers don't seem that promising and the fact that her parts are much harder to find.

Edited by michaelwii

10 answers to this question

Volt is the most flexible of the three, but ember is very good at farming infested defense, which is a very good way to farm mods.

Mag's abilities do sound nice from the description, but in practice you'll only find crush and pull useful (mostly just crush) and even then she's not as good as she was pre u7.

Edited by Aggh

Mag's powers aren't very useful in the long run, they are just situational. Her ult's range was nerfed to the point it isn't very useful either.

Volt has the best utility out of all them and the best variety of powers.

Ember..I knew what I was getting into when I created her. She is great for infested missions, but her powers are useless anywhere else. For me to recommend her, she would need to actually be flexible in other environments. She just isn't. Some of her powers aren't even useful like the fireball.

I've been running with ember pretty much exclusively with some friends. She's pretty squishy but man she wrecks the infested. I know I should probably use another warframe for grineer but I can't bring myself to do so. I just use my Boltor to pin them fools to the walls.

I'm really hoping they tweak her in the near future to make her fire abilities not so useless against heavy armor targets. I'd take a hit against infested performance to balance it out for sure.

Well, Loki's abilities have no advantage over any specific opposing faction, I've had to rely on elementals and armor piercing on weapons to get by.

Mag's powers aren't very useful in the long run, they are just situational. Her ult's range was nerfed to the point it isn't very useful either.

Volt has the best utility out of all them and the best variety of powers.

Ember..I knew what I was getting into when I created her. She is great for infested missions, but her powers are useless anywhere else. For me to recommend her, she would need to actually be flexible in other environments. She just isn't. Some of her powers aren't even useful like the fireball.

Thanks for that. Yeah, I guess Volt is the winner. I already thought of him as the most likely to be my next warframe because of said abilities, but I didn't wanna just ignore other warframes I thought would be good as well. Upon deeper consideration, I'm dissapointed in the lack of versatility and variety in Ember's powers. Alot of them are purely offensive, something I'm not used to or drawn to after Loki, who had NO offensive powers but I still found a use for all of them minus the ultimate, which was an absolute waste.

Man, I really wanted to get Ember *drools* but I appreciate the advice you guys are giving in regards to her usability as a character. Looks like it's more dude rears until a later date... looking at how indecisive I am though, I might actually go for Ember at the last minute haha. Appreciate your feedback about Ember and Mag's drawbacks.

volt has the most useful powers. ember is the coolest. mag has the most powerful ultimate. get them all. :D

+1

On a side note, I looked at Loki's wiki for the first time, and realized he had an armor of 50, compared to Ember and Volt. Didn't realize Loki was on the less squishy end of the spectrum, downgrading that is gonna be interesting.

What warframes would you recommend for someone fresh off of Loki?

I've played Volt since closed beta, and he has been my favorite starter frame (who was 1-uped by Mag, that hussy :( ) His base shield is a nice 150, and goes nicely with shield mods, while health is at a decent 100 as well, however, he can be quite sqishy if he is gone past his shields since he actually has low armor, about 10 or so if I read on the wiki, not sure if it has changed. He has a decent energy pool as well, and has two polarity slots for a V slot and a - slot for his abilities. I'd reccommend using Damage and Reach or Efficiency to use his two abilities Shock and Overload. If you want to go with Duration, those will boost his Speed and Electric Shield moves. Shock will deal high shock damage vs a single target, and extra bolts will jump to nearby enemies, but only stun them with no damage for 25 Energy. Speed is his mobility move which allows him to catch up to his allies, or escape. This is a useful ability to catch up when your team has rushed ahead and you still have some energy reserves, since Volt actually has a slower run speed and a lower stamina pool than other frames. It's only 25 Energy to cast the skill. Electric Shield blocks all incoming damage based on a timer. You and your allies can shoot out of it and it also applies electric to your bullets, so you may not need to carry an Electricity mod for those pesky enemies. It's also good to cast when you need to revive a teammate and be protected while doing so. It's 50 Energy to cast. And lastly, his ultimate, Overload. High damage that expands from you, outwards. While leveling this skill doesn't increase it's damage, it increases the radius, however, Volt gets a damage boost to the attack if there are electronics in the room, mostly lights, as they explode and cause more damage to the enemy. A very potent ability to use indoors where you see a bunch of lights, and the lights will shut off when you use that power in that room, and whatever Overload touches, being an ultimate move, it's 100 Energy to cast. If you can supercharge the Volt Warframe, I would reccomend to get all of his skills, plus Power Damage Increase, and you can choose whether or not to decide on Reach, Max Energy, or Efficiency. At least two of those. The rest is up to you, but it would be wise to put on Redirection for Max Shield increase, Fast Deflection for Shield Recharge and you can go with Vitality as well, or even some other mod to increase speed or stamina, or one of the other mods I spoke about earlier. If you have high level efficiency, it may be good to get a good energy pool and the Energy Siphon artifact. Volt is a nasty Corpus killer and does alright with Grineer, and shall I say Infested even, except for the ancient Infested, your abilities will do nothing for you there. As for Mag and Ember, I couldn't tell you as I have never used the frames before. --------------------------- Also for some reason I can't press Enter to make actual paragraphs instead of a wall of text, what do? ---------------------

I've played Volt since closed beta, and he has been my favorite starter frame (who was 1-uped by Mag, that hussy :( ) His base shield is a nice 150, and goes nicely with shield mods, while health is at a decent 100 as well, however, he can be quite sqishy if he is gone past his shields since he actually has low armor, about 10 or so if I read on the wiki, not sure if it has changed. He has a decent energy pool as well, and has two polarity slots for a V slot and a - slot for his abilities. I'd reccommend using Damage and Reach or Efficiency to use his two abilities Shock and Overload. If you want to go with Duration, those will boost his Speed and Electric Shield moves. Shock will deal high shock damage vs a single target, and extra bolts will jump to nearby enemies, but only stun them with no damage for 25 Energy. Speed is his mobility move which allows him to catch up to his allies, or escape. This is a useful ability to catch up when your team has rushed ahead and you still have some energy reserves, since Volt actually has a slower run speed and a lower stamina pool than other frames. It's only 25 Energy to cast the skill. Electric Shield blocks all incoming damage based on a timer. You and your allies can shoot out of it and it also applies electric to your bullets, so you may not need to carry an Electricity mod for those pesky enemies. It's also good to cast when you need to revive a teammate and be protected while doing so. It's 50 Energy to cast. And lastly, his ultimate, Overload. High damage that expands from you, outwards. While leveling this skill doesn't increase it's damage, it increases the radius, however, Volt gets a damage boost to the attack if there are electronics in the room, mostly lights, as they explode and cause more damage to the enemy. A very potent ability to use indoors where you see a bunch of lights, and the lights will shut off when you use that power in that room, and whatever Overload touches, being an ultimate move, it's 100 Energy to cast. If you can supercharge the Volt Warframe, I would reccomend to get all of his skills, plus Power Damage Increase, and you can choose whether or not to decide on Reach, Max Energy, or Efficiency. At least two of those. The rest is up to you, but it would be wise to put on Redirection for Max Shield increase, Fast Deflection for Shield Recharge and you can go with Vitality as well, or even some other mod to increase speed or stamina, or one of the other mods I spoke about earlier. If you have high level efficiency, it may be good to get a good energy pool and the Energy Siphon artifact. Volt is a nasty Corpus killer and does alright with Grineer, and shall I say Infested even, except for the ancient Infested, your abilities will do nothing for you there. As for Mag and Ember, I couldn't tell you as I have never used the frames before. --------------------------- Also for some reason I can't press Enter to make actual paragraphs instead of a wall of text, what do? ---------------------

That wall of text haha.

Appreciate you sharing your personal experience with Volt.

I'm geniunely suprised with the effect aesthetics have on my enjoyment of a game. What my warframe LOOKS like should have no effect whatsoever, but I always seem to enjoy the game better when I've customized the colors of Loki to be aesthetically pleasing. Same thing goes for Warframes, I have this strong feeling that having to constantly look over the shoulder of an unappealing character would lead me to not enjoy using that character as much, even if it's a really good warframe.

In terms of looks, I would say it's Ember, Volt, and Mag for me. In terms of actual value though, it seems to be Volt, Ember and Mag (based on what people are sharing plus my on research). So Mag is definitely out (although I still think the designs on her arms are sweet), and its down to Ember and Volt, with Volt winning. Appericate your contribution, as it has solidified my resolution to get Volt.

That wall of text haha.

Appreciate you sharing your personal experience with Volt.

I'm geniunely suprised with the effect aesthetics have on my enjoyment of a game. What my warframe LOOKS like should have no effect whatsoever, but I always seem to enjoy the game better when I've customized the colors of Loki to be aesthetically pleasing. Same thing goes for Warframes, I have this strong feeling that having to constantly look over the shoulder of an unappealing character would lead me to not enjoy using that character as much, even if it's a really good warframe.

In terms of looks, I would say it's Ember, Volt, and Mag for me. In terms of actual value though, it seems to be Volt, Ember and Mag (based on what people are sharing plus my on research). So Mag is definitely out (although I still think the designs on her arms are sweet), and its down to Ember and Volt, with Volt winning. Appericate your contribution, as it has solidified my resolution to get Volt.

Thank you, and also, Volt doesn't have much of an &amp;#&#33; because he has a flap of armor that covers it with an X shape like daggers stuck above it, so you don't have to see any of that. =P

Thank you, and also, Volt doesn't have much of an &amp;#&#33; because he has a flap of armor that covers it with an X shape like daggers stuck above it, so you don't have to see any of that. =P

That's true, but that doesn't change the fact there's a little too much man &amp;#&#33; on my screen than I would like :/