Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To: Melee Combo's With 100% Success Rate.

Dalu__Ka

Question

This is by no means an in depth guide, but a few basics on how to successfully do combo's without having to memorize each and every combo.
These methods are pretty much fool proof, and anyone can get the hang of this in no time at all.

Executing combo's with a Pause element
Instead of timing and counting your attacks, you can just repeatedly press your melee key at  a constant and slower rate. "Tap----Tap----Tap----Tap" instead of "Tap--Tap--Pause--Tap"

Or:

Turns out there's a shortcut for combos that require Pauses: just hold back (S) then mash your attack button, i.e. S+--Tap--Tap--Tap.

Executing combo's with a Movement element
Instead of timing and counting your attacks, you can keep the direction key pressed and do your melee attacks. "W+---Tap----Tap----Tap" instead of "Tap----W----Tap----Tap"

Executing combo's with a Hold element
Instead of timing and counting your attacks, you can keep slow down your attacks a bit like we did with the Pause attacks, but now we keep the melee key pressed a bit longer on every attack. "Tappp--Tappp--Tappp--Tappp" instead of "Tap----Tappp--Tap----Tap"

Executing combo's with a Parry/Block element

it's the same way you do the Combos with movement elements: Instead of  "Tap----Block----Tap----Tap", you go "Block+---Tap----Tap----Tap".

What also can be helpful, is not using speed boost mods until you feel comfortable with the combos. There are some weapons out there that are really really fast, which in turn makes doing combos more of a challenge.

These tips are also on Steam Guides.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=251308537

A thank you to Tenno SlyBoots and Tenno LGear for their added contributions.

Edited by Tenn00b

How to do combos that have a "Press RMB" as part of the combo: Hold down RMB the entire time.

I'm helping.

You don't have to time the RMB exactly. Just hold it down the whole time and when it comes up in the combo it will count it. Easy peasy.

^ ignore this, someone already answered it, I was just too lazy to read :p

Edited by Zorrandor

A tip I've found helps me execute the harder combos is watch the animations instead of timing the counts. Go do some tests out of combat until you get the combo to work so you can see what animation precedes the move you're struggling with. I know that with swirling tiger in particular, for me anyway, I have to time off the animations instead if count and it works every time as long as I pay attention.

Executing combo's with a Hold element

Instead of timing and counting your attacks, you can keep slow down your attacks a bit like we did with the Pause attacks, but now we keep the melee key pressed a bit longer on every attack. "Tappp--Tappp--Tappp--Tappp" instead of "Tap----Tappp--Tap----Tap"

Yeah try to "Tappp--Tappp--Tappp--Tappp" with a 75% Berserker Dual Zoren to execute Dancing Hunter on Swirling Tiger stance and see how that will work out for you. You won't be able to chain the combo in the first place :3

On 6/1/2015 at 4:47 AM, VintageNostalgia said:

das me 

:(

Me too, as much as I find the hints here useful - and they do work on most stances - it is absoutely impossible for me with Gaia's Tragedy in Furax Wraith.

Hold RMB and mash E ? combo 1 EEEE

Tap slowly ? combo 1 EEEE

walk in a direction then hitting E on top ? You guessed it EEEE

I am not saying it doesn't work, but for me, with Furax and Gaia it is 100% fail all the time. Maybe I should uninstall due to ineptitude...

Edit: with seismic palm everything works as described, I think Gaia's has some trouble and one of the dagger combos, forgot which one, behaves similarly..

Edited by GaoliangJoe

Wow this is one of the oldest threads I saw been desecrated man!!! First post is from 2014. Maybe the guy you quoted is not even alive, or got married or went to war etc... lol

On console I just cant get the back button combos to work. The moment I press back, I start to run away from the enemies. I know I suck at combos but it seems strange to press the back button when you are walking towards the enemy...