Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can Someone Please Help Me With My Channeling Math

kscott190

Question

By default Channeling uses 5 points of energy with every strike, Reflex +60% CE + Focus Energy +40% CE = +100% CE with a 80% cap leaving your channeling cost at 1 energy point. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now Life Strike -140% CE + Corrupt charge -40% CE = -180%CE. Again correct me if I'm wrong.

Negative CE adds energy cost to every strike, so adding that -180% to the cost of 1 energy point adds up to 2.8 energy cost per-strike (assuming that that +20% that was capped off doesn't come into play which would bring the cost down from 2.8 to 2.24).

Now here's where I'm confused at, now if I did the math (I'm bad at math, especially percentages) right I should using no more than 3 energy point per-strike but when I tested it out in the "field" I was using as much as 9 EP (1 strike from 100 down to 91)

17 answers to this question

180% - 100% equals 80% more channeling cost.

So take 5 and add 80% to the damage. 

100% of 5 is well 5 so if the channeling cost was 100% it would cost 10 energy 

minus 20% and you get about 8 

Math made easy, by a math major at college xD 

100-20% is 80%

10-2 is 8 energy ^___^ 

Edited by zebar1313

Could you break it down for me, I still don't understand

look at mine xD 

I broke it down pretty simple based on what you were asking.

Haven't personally tested a channeling build yet myself tho :P 

But i did the math for you cuz apparently i'm a math wiz even tho i hate it

Edited by zebar1313

100-20% is 80%

10-2 is 8 energy ^___^ 

Ok I think I understand now somewhat, I was using my computer's calculator

But one thing I still don't get is when does the channeling efficiency comes in?

I've all 4 above mentioned mods loaded onto my weapon

100-20% is 80%

10-2 is 8 energy ^___^ 

Slight math error here. 100% = 5 energy. Yes. But when you get +100%, you have 200%= 10 energy. When you then remove 20% off this, you remove 10% off 10 energy, essentially making 180% since you're changing the base number. 5*1.8= 9, so a total of 9 energy cost.

But one thing I still don't get is when does the channeling efficiency comes in?

Basically, here it is in formula form:

Energy to channel= 5 * (100+(all channeling mods added up in percentiles))/100. In your case: E= 5*(100+(140+40-60-40))/100=5*(100+(80))/100= 5*(180)/100=5*1.8=9 energy total.

Note that negative channeling mods ADD to the energy cost, and positive reduces channeling cost.

Edited by Zeandral

So you;ve got +100% efficiency from Reflex and Focus, then -180% eff from LS and CC, giving you -80% efficiency overall.

So we're adding 80% to the cost of the strike; 5 energy * 180% = 9 energy exactly.

Channeling efficiency is figured all at once. So the percentages are all added together like so: 40% + 60% - 140% - 40% = -80% efficiency.

Once that's done, then the energy cost is figured out. the base of 5 energy is multiplied by .8, giving 4 energy. And since it's negative, that's added onto the base, raising the total cost to 9 energy per hit.

This only matters on hits when channeling though, as regular hits are unaffected by all mod that have some effect on channeling.

Slight math error here. 100% = 5 energy. Yes. But when you get +100%, you have 200%= 10 energy. When you then remove 20% off this, you remove 10% off 10 energy, essentially making 180% since you're changing the base number. 5*1.8= 9, so a total of 9 energy cost.

2 things I don't get

1. Why does DE have it listed as +180% when that's not what you're getting. it's so misleading and confusing for it to say that when you're actually only getting the 80%

2. Why isn't Reflex Coil and Focus energy Coming into play. My cost should be lower than 9, right?

Basically, here it is in formula form:

Energy to channel= 5 * (100+(all channeling mods added up in percentiles))/100. In your case: E= 5*(100+(140+40-60-40))/100=5*(100+(80))/100= 5*(180)/100=5*1.8=9 energy total.

Note that negative channeling mods ADD to the energy cost, and positive reduces channeling cost.

slighty error on yours as well, you start off with a base of 5 energy cost. 200% is indeed 10 energy, but then the cost would be 15 energy 

100-20% is 80%

10-2 is 8 energy ^___^ 

And this is why half the educated world looks down on college students :(

slighty error on yours as well, you start off with a base of 5 energy cost. 200% is indeed 10 energy, but then the cost would be 15 energy 

Drugs. The answer is drugs.

Edited by Darzk

2 things I don't get

1. Why does DE have it listed as +180% when that's not what you're getting. it's so misleading and confusing for it to say that when you're actually only getting the 80%

2. Why isn't Reflex Coil and Focus energy Coming into play. My cost should be lower than 9, right?

To answer both questions at once, Reflex Coil and Focus Energy are coming into play. If they weren't, your channeling would cost 180% more than 5 energy, which is 2.8*5, or 14 energy. By reducing the cost by 100% of the base 5 energy, they make it cost 9 energy.

All math for Channeling Efficiency is based off of the original 5 energy cost.

Edited by DeathKoala

I'm not adding 200%, I am multiplying. If you multiply by 1, you get the same, if you multiply by 2, you get twice the amount. 200% is essentially multiplying by 2. What you did was add 200% of the base amount, thus creating 15.

So you;ve got +100% efficiency from Reflex and Focus, then -180% eff from LS and CC, giving you -80% efficiency overall.

So we're adding 80% to the cost of the strike; 5 energy * 180% = 9 energy exactly.

Channeling efficiency is figured all at once. So the percentages are all added together like so: 40% + 60% - 140% - 40% = -80% efficiency.

Once that's done, then the energy cost is figured out. the base of 5 energy is multiplied by .8, giving 4 energy. And since it's negative, that's added onto the base, raising the total cost to 9 energy per hit.

This only matters on hits when channeling though, as regular hits are unaffected by all mod that have some effect on channeling.

Thanks you both of you, especially Death for breaking it down in "Math for Dummies" terms

What I thought was it would factor in one at a time, not all together at once.

Thanks you both of you, especially Death for breaking it down in "Math for Dummies" terms

What I thought was it would factor in one at a time, not all together at once.

No problem, fellow Tenno. Whenever I've been helping people with math, I've found that the most common mistake is that people overthink it, usually. It's simpler, faster, and usually correct if you just think of it in the way that involves the least work.

To answer both questions at once, Reflex Coil and Focus Energy are coming into play. If they weren't, your channeling would cost 180% more than 5 energy, which is 2.8*5, or 14 energy. By reducing the cost by 100% of the base 5 energy, they make it cost 9 energy.

All math for Channeling Efficiency is based off of the original 5 energy cost.

See what was messing me up was I was thinking Reflex and Focus would be factored in first then Life Strike and Corrupt Charge, which is why I was expecting the energy cost to be so low

In Warframe, most-if-not-all of the stat cards that effect the same stat are all added together, then applied.

So for example using Serration and heavy caliber gives +330% damage, Fleeting Expertise and Streamline and Blind Rage gives 60%+30%-55% = -35% efficiency, etc.