Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Concept Weaponry: Corpus Heavy Cannon(Wip)

Zenn

CorpusSpicra.png

This is the Spira(Originally going to call it the Spicra, but sounded more tenno than corpus) is a heavy plasma cannon, capable of causing devastating results on a enemy. The Corpus Heavy Cannon is similar to the Ogris, except there is no charge. It does, however, lack in rate of fire, 1 shot every 2.5 seconds, and AoE damage, making it a weapon one that requires skill to land a kill shot. The Spira is quite deadly, Unlike the Dera, Supra, and the Tetra, the Spira's plasma bolt isn't 100% energy, firing physical bolts, the energy pack on the side energizes the bolts, making them even more deadly. This also means the travel time is significantly reduced. On impact, the bolt emits the energy in a small wave, but due to the energy used to energize the bolt, AoE is smaller compared to the Ogris. The Spira is the Corpus's response in the continuing assaults from the Grineer

The idea for this weapon came to be from various discussions of the Railgun/MA-Rifle. Essentially, the Spira was a weapon to possibly fit that role, but not to have a scope. The Spira would use Sniper Rounds, but would have to be similar to how certain weapons without scopes would have to be used. the 2.5 seconds between firings is understandable, since the weapon would be almost equal to a Ogris with instant-a-shot. Also the Corpus have yet to have a long-range Heavy weapon that is effective. Still working on it, since I can use Warframe weapon profile images in Wings 3D, probably will be more, like a Grineer LMG that isn't like a Minigun. Please comment and give feedback on what you think, criticism is welcomed.

I like it. Although, having a lengthy delay vs charge up time amounts to much the same thing in my mind. The one doesn't require you to hold down a button, but the other means you can have a weaker shot vs stronger shot. Honestly, I think it would be cool if the Spira did use a system where you could fire at a quicker rate, maybe once per second or 1.5 seconds, but you would fire only the physical bolts with no aoe. If you waited for a sufficient time the Spira could then display a visual cue that would signal your next shot would be energized. I think it would strike an interesting balance between holding down a button to charge up shots, which I am fully aware some people despise, a lower rate of fire, and an interesting weapon mechanic. Just my two cents. Overall, I think the idea of a Corpus cannon is aaawwwwweeeeeesome.

for my feedback.

Part 1 :: design as shown above

Point 1:  Firing mechanism.  Your point is that it is going to fire conventional rounds with some sort of "energy pack" so it deals both physical and energy damage.  This means that you are going to be firing the gun with either a sabot, or it will be a coilgun.

Point 2:  Reload time.  2.5 seconds does not suggest that it is firing from either a dual barrel design as shown in your 3d rendition, nor that it has a clip.  Thus a breech action or "power pack" single-shot would make more sense, with a single barrel.

Point 3:  scope.  You say no scope function, but the design clearly shows a scope.

Section 2 :: Comparison to other fan concepts.  

Railguns:  does not fit a sniper perspective or the ultra-high velocity (hitscan) proposals of a railgun such as my proposal.  https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/208845-railgun-weapon-concept/    https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/216616-requesting-fan-art-of-concepts-since-i-cant-draw/

Thus a more direct comparison you should make is a general hand-cannon concept, short-medium range weapon.  Given that it is not rapid firing, AoE needs to be a -very- wide range.  perhaps a multi-arc lightning spread reaching out as much as 10 meters

Section 3 :: thematics

Honestly, unless you make it so that the gun is either a plasma based weapon or some lightning arc burst cannon (as my above suggestion), a high caliber, conventional, slow firing, short range weapon just doesn't -fit- with the corpus theme in general.  

Also, in terms of strategic warfare historically, either Long-range heavy damage, or close range rapid fire weapons are traditionally preferred.. given the Corpus theme of strategic thinking... you've got an issue here too.  Brute force seems more a Greneer concept than a Corpus one.

But these are just my opinions, take them as you will.

Evariskitsune, I see most of your points, however, the one regarding scope, its not a scope of what's on top, it is a targeting sensor. Since most of the weapons lack iron sights, the targeting sensor is to aid the user in getting it aimed at their target. Also the reason for the slow fire is to make it a not-so-OP weapon. The 3rd is about the type of rounds, I said bolts cause it made sense at the time. The weapon is technically a MAC(Mass Accelerator Cannon), so "Bolts" is just a term for the physical rounds, which are also in the mag with the plasma.

I could make the Targeting sensor a little more out there and remove 1 of the 2 barrels. Also, Corpus have a lot of resources, if they make new weapons, Tenno steal :D Also a change of thinking on Corpus part may happen once in awhile.

Edited by Zenn

Evariskitsune, I see most of your points, however, the one regarding scope, its not a scope of what's on top, it is a targeting sensor. Since most of the weapons lack iron sights, the targeting sensor is to aid the user in getting it aimed at their target. Also the reason for the slow fire is to make it a not-so-OP weapon. The 3rd is about the type of rounds, I said bolts cause it made sense at the time. The weapon is technically a MAC(Mass Accelerator Cannon), so "Bolts" is just a term for the physical rounds, which are also in the mag with the plasma.

I could make the Targeting sensor a little more out there and remove 1 of the 2 barrels. Also, Corpus have a lot of resources, if they make new weapons, Tenno steal :D Also a change of thinking on Corpus part may happen once in awhile.

MAC = Gauss rifle = Coilgun

Given what it fires, I believe a side mounted "power pack" with handle might make the most sense, containing both the round and battery to fire the charge.  I understand the slow rate of fire is for balance concerns, however you should make the model make sense for this. Which with a 2.5 second interval leaves you with A: power pack, or B: breech load.  

As for change of thinking for the corpus, they really don't show in-game their lore yet.  They lack numbers vs the Greneer, and if anything they should be moving more of their combat to their robots than anything, and utilizing longer-ranged weaponry for the crews to minimize human losses.  

A good thread perhaps to take a look at if you haven't yet; https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/207583-krauserlols-ultimate-corpus-update-threat-the-corpus-shall-rise/