Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railgun Weapon Concept.

Evariskitsune

So I've been playing around with the idea and I figured I'd put it forward as a concept. I'd love more input on balancing and hearing other's opinions, but one thing that I feel is definitely missing is a good railgun in the game.<

!*! note !*! The Lanka is -not- a railgun.  It's official description states it uses magnetic induction to fire a projectile and is therefore a gauss rifle / coil gun, not electromagnetic impedance in accordance of the right-hand rule as in a railgun.  (also on a point, the damage type and animation suggests the Lanka is firing plasma-based projectiles instead of solid projectiles.)

Ex; coil gun:

Coilgun_animation.gif

Railgun:

burrito-rail-gun-launch.gif

To reiterate: the Lanka isn't, nor is it supposed to be a railgun.

The Lanka doesn't look like a railgun (no parallel rails), doesn't sound like a railgun (a railgun would sound like a cannon when fired due to the velocity of the shell and air friction), doesn't do damage like a railgun (A railgun deals kinetic damage, not electromagnetic), and the description says it's not a railgun.  (the Lanka uses magnetic imduction to propel a projectile, as in a coil gun / gauss rifle, presumably a plasma round given the damage type and appearance.) A railgun fires a conductive metal slug via electromagnetic impedance in accordance of the right-hand rule.  The Lanka does not.  Therefore it is rather clear the Lanka is not, and is not meant to be a railgun.

Now, moving onto the actual weapon concept.

Weapon name: Susanoo

Balance idea 1 - Balance comparison: Penta
Mastery Level: 10
Weapon Slot: Primary
Weapon Type: Railgun (Launcher / sniper rifle)
Trigger Type: 2.5 second Charge* / Semi-Auto

Noise Level: Maximum
Firing Rate: 0.17 rounds/sec
Accuracy: 100 / perfect
Travel time: hitscan
Recoil: High+/Maximum
Magazine size: 4 rounds / magazine
Max Ammo: 72 rounds
Reload Time: 3s

Physical Damage: 400
Impact: 100
Puncture: 300
Crit Chance: 25%
Crit Damage: 200%
Status Chance: 25%
Elemental Damage: Special

Impact with an enemy: (produces 4 meter shockwave [blast Radius] which can damage the player)
Blast Damage: 300

Piercing depth: 20 meters.
Polarities: None

*Charge time is also accompanied with halving of user's shields, and shield recharge is disabled while the charge is held. The weapon trigger can be held down until it needs to be fired. Furthermore the weapon cannot fire unless fully charged and charge time is unaffected by charge time altering mods.

-----

Balance idea 2: Balance comparison Lanka
Mastery Level: 8
Weapon Slot: Primary
Weapon Type: Railgun (Launcher / sniper rifle)
Trigger Type: 2.5 second Charge* / Semi-Auto

Noise Level: Maximum
Firing Rate: 0.17 rounds/sec
Accuracy: 100 / perfect
Travel time: hitscan
Recoil: High+/Maximum
Magazine size: 4 rounds / magazine
Max Ammo: 72 rounds
Reload Time: 3s

Physical Damage: 300
Impact: 100
Puncture: 200
Crit Chance: 25%
Crit Damage: 150%
Status Chance: 25%
Elemental Damage: Special

Impact with an enemy: (produces 1 meter shockwave which can damage the player)
Blast Damage: 150

Piercing depth: 20 meters.
Polarities: None

*the weapon cannot fire unless fully charged and charge time is unaffected by charge time altering mods.

A GIF of what the charge might look like (as well as what the weapon itself might look like. [image taken from Armored Core: Last Raven's intro CGI. Copywrite- From Software])
kSjElK.gif

So thoughts / input?

Edit 1: increased mastery rank requirement to 8 due to the Lanka's rank at 7. Added in point of being unable to fire until fully charged.

Edit 2: status chance reduced, critical chance increased due to balance suggestions. 

Edit 3: corrected formatting errors and explained why the Lanka is not a Railgun.

Edit 4: removed lore that wouldn't work, and edited the ammo in-line with the Lanka.

Edit 5: Added more to point out why the Lanka is not a railgun.

Edit 6: Added in secondary balance concept values.

Edit 7: For more realism on re-analysis. 

Edited by Evariskitsune

the lanka is supposed to be a railgun. go get it.

Not by what I'm hearing for others.

dat name.

besides that, sounds legit.

I like shinto gods.  Would you prefer I call it thor?

20 meters? Are you kidding me?, also, want a railgun? Get lanka

1. what would you suggest otherwise given the velocity would be a minimum of mach 20?

2. This is supposed to be a higher damage (and more realistic damage type) 

2.5 SECONDS TO CHARGE?! 

That's insane...

Balance damage.  could reduce.  Input?

Isn't that a particle cannon?

The whole point of a rail gun is to fire a larger calibur bullet 100+++ times faster than a normal rifle.

That's the charge.  A railgun leaves a stream of superheated air in it's wake due to friction against the projectile and the air particles.  (Which IRL, would be on the blue side of the spectrum, then die down to red.)

Susanoo? As in the japanese god? Nope thx. I think you can be more creative with the name as well. Otherwise a Railgun can definitely fit into the game.

Would you prefer Thor?  I figure a god of storms is a decent name for this.  

Awesome idea but the Lanka basically fills this role, railguns are cool though!

Railguns are my favorite. 

Susanoo is one of the worst names I've heard, sorry. Also this sounds like too much work for a single weapon. With shockwaves and DoT damage from the bullet trial.

The Railgun in Halo 4 works very well and is amazing. Maybe just copy that?

Why does everyone hate on Shinto god names for weapons?  

Why copy a weapon from another game?  Basically all the effects I had there are for it to act like a real railgun would. 

As ridiculous as some of the stats are, I think the charge speed and shield drain male it worth it. I would say decrease the status to 25% and increase crit to 25%

Hmm... anyone second this / your thoughts behind this?

and higher the mastery rank to 10

Your reasoning as to why?

Edited by Evariskitsune

Lol Susanoo as in Itachi Uchihas ability was naruto Susanoo both in naruto and real life history is a spectral being of immense power pick a name that is more associated with a railgun.

It's named after the shinto god of storms.  

What do you think a railgun sounds like?  The friction and supersonic boom from the hypersonic projectile, accompanied from the electromagnetic disturbance from the charge would be a big lighting + thunder combination.

Again, I came up with Thor and Susanoo for names that I thought would be fitting.  

you might wanna check here!^^ leave a comment while you´re at it.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/200987-we-want-a-railgun-megathread/

pssst I already did.

on another point to mods when they read this; I derp'd and put this in the wrong section, it should be in Fan Concepts.  Thought I clicked the new topic button there but multi-tab browsing lets mistakes happen I suppose.  sorry.

Edited by Evariskitsune

Isn't that a particle cannon?

The whole point of a rail gun is to fire a larger calibur bullet 100+++ times faster than a normal rifle.

Wait what ??? Nope thats not the point of rail-gun and/or gauss-cannon . The advantage is , that you don´t need explosives to accelerate the bullet , so the cannon is less fragile and can carry more bullets , as far as is know . The problem is , that the capacitors needed to accelerate a bullet to a good speed , are not possible (unlees bullets are cooled down very much , to make them supra-conductive capable) . However , this is a game , so the only problem should be the charging . And maybe a particle cannon could shoot particles faster , but definitely not a rail-gun .

Wait what ??? Nope thats not the point of rail-gun and/or gauss-cannon . The advantage is , that you don´t need explosives to accelerate the bullet , so the cannon is less fragile and can carry more bullets , as far as is know . The problem is , that the capacitors needed to accelerate a bullet to a good speed , are not possible (unlees bullets are cooled down very much , to make them supra-conductive capable) . However , this is a game , so the only problem should be the charging . And maybe a particle cannon could shoot particles faster , but definitely not a rail-gun .

Actually, no, increased velocity of a shell is part of the point of a railgun.  It allows a high caliber shell to do away with high explosive fillers and propellant (Decrease cost and increase safety.) and kill simply through the sheer velocity. And the US navy will be field-testing prototypes on ships later this year.  Land based prototypes for military use currently fire projectiles at Mach 16, with current-day technology.  

Given this game is set thousands of years in the future and there is manipulation of wormholes and the like, a hand-held mach 20 or better railgun does not seem that far-fetched to me. 

Edited by Evariskitsune

Sounds a bit op, its a sniper, but it has a pretty fast charge time and a radius of damage, and high damage, and hitscan, and dot, and elemental base damage, a few as much as i understood, so with only 1 elemental you'd be able to have 2 combanations.