Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Laser Doors

SingularityX

Something I have noticed, and it might just be that I'm doing something wrong, is the doors that have green lasers spanning them. It seems completely sporadic when the lasers go down and sometimes I'm just standing around waiting for them to disappear. Thus far I have found nothing that actually allows me to disable them and instead try to find ways to glitch around them.

Yeah, it's not very well-introduced/explained/obvious in game. (Despite some people here who continue to insist that it's perfectly obvious to new players.)

Whenever a ceiling-mounted camera sees you and turns red, it causes nearby doors to be blocked. To advance, you must shoot out the camera that is seeing you. (Or seeing a teammate.) It may be slightly behind and above you, or even seeing you through the open door on the other side, etc.

As a general rule, I shoot every damn camera I see. Look for green or red lights on the ceilings, especially in corners or under overhangs. The camera itself is shaped like a cereal-box.

Edited by HvcTerr

Are the camera's always close to the corosponding doors, or are they spread out? Me and my son did our first alert and cleared the lasers from the doors that had camera's near them, but a few seemed nowhere to be found. We ended up just running through them at some point.

Are the camera's always close to the corosponding doors, or are they spread out? Me and my son did our first alert and cleared the lasers from the doors that had camera's near them, but a few seemed nowhere to be found. We ended up just running through them at some point.

They are spread out

The cameras really need to be far more obvious, as in pointing at you, beeping and blinking lights obvious.

At the moment they blend into the rest of the scenery far too much. The map design may look great, but there's something to be said for uniform brown or grey, in that you can at least spot things against it.

One door can be affected by multiple cameras, and they can be at least a room or 2 away. Play long enough and you end up remembering their usual locations.

As a tip, the radar artifact or enemy radar mod lets you easily pick out cameras before they become a threat. Also, cameras emit a distinct sound when they're nearby. When you get used to them, you can detect/destroy them before they spot you.

Also bear in mind that the ceiling turrets are also activated by the cameras. They're harmless otherwise.

More things that might be good to know :)

The cameras, or more to the point the light they emit, is just the same blurry graphic that all lights in the game get. They are incredibly easy to miss. The light they cast needs to be sharper and more directed (see Deux Ex 3 for an example), which would make them much easier to spot. Also, having a door's lasers turn on because a camera on the far side of a massive room saw you is a no no. The cameras should not have super amazing vision distance, just the same view distance as normal NPCs would do.

You can also cut right through a laser door if you get a sprinting start, jump and then hold control while still holding shift. (At least, this seems to work for me)

Edited by Freqdoc

One thing that would help would be adding a warning that the lasers are being triggered. I don't know how many times I've been smacked by them when a teammate triggered a camera a room and a half away right as I was running through the door.

Well me and my friends have found that if you roll/slide through the lasers they don't deal damage. They might change this though.

haha my boyfriend is REALLY good at that. we just found the cameras today. before that he would leap gracfully thru the lasers and i would attempt, get stuck in them and go down INSIDE THE DANG THING.... either that or he would Pull me through with his mag. regardless it was annoying.

One thing that would help would be adding a warning that the lasers are being triggered. I don't know how many times I've been smacked by them when a teammate triggered a camera a room and a half away right as I was running through the door.

i know the feeling. i have a certain hatred for the lasers....

The cameras really need to be far more obvious, as in pointing at you, beeping and blinking lights obvious.

At the moment they blend into the rest of the scenery far too much. The map design may look great, but there's something to be said for uniform brown or grey, in that you can at least spot things against it.

One door can be affected by multiple cameras, and they can be at least a room or 2 away. Play long enough and you end up remembering their usual locations.

They make a noise when searching, they make a noise when detecting, they are green when scanning and red when detecting.

People just need to look up.

Just takes some practice. It becomes a force of habit to listen and expect cameras in all Corpus missions after awhile.

That's not a solution, though.

Damage has already been done. Some portion of the new players will have already quit in frustration, and that means fewer players overall and fewer who will ever buy Platinum from DE.

Not only that, but no amount of practice will save you from a clueless (or griefing) teammate who drops in and hasn't practiced themselves.

Edited by HvcTerr