Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ability Nerfs/changes: Radial Disarm, Hysteria, Shield Polarize, Tentacle Swarm

Yopee

Thanks for seriously responding to me. I really appreciate it.

The best abilities in this game are that way because they are radial nukes or disables. These often don't require line of sight to use, nor do they require much though beyond "I press this button at x time and we live a little longer, regardless of where I'm positioned except for out in the open where I"m going to get dumped on". Invincibility states and radial nukes, to me, are part of what makes this game boring.

Completely agree. Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Radial Blind change seems unnecessary. Maybe it would fail to target enemies behind walls or obstructions (they can't see the light that would blind them)? Otherwise I think it's fine. I do like the idea of enemies shooting in the general direction of the target.

That's exactly what I was going for with my suggestions hence line of sight and looking in excal's direction to successfully blind.

• The utility of the OP's Polarize is tempting, but I think it might be best to leave it as it is. Requiring some of Mag's shields also seems unnecessary.

My reason for Shield Polarize to be changed is that the current one allows you to radial nuke and repair your shield at the same time. The ability also has a relatively short cast time and long range so this allows it to be cast behind cover or out in the open as well.

Umm, excuse me? One of the most important abilities to have in a super high-level Corpus defense that deals insane damage scaling with shields and clearing entire waves with a few quick casts, only useful for healing shields? You sir, need to do your homework.

It's good in that situation, hell it's great in that situation but vs grineer or infested it's a heal for your shield which is still useful but not great, anyway my point is that it doesn't need to be nerfed by having that self heal taken away.

I don't know how long you play to achieve enemies this strong, but after half an hour they still die pretty easily.

This game is still too easy and I don't have whole day to wait for survival to give me something stronger.

Tower 3 Survival 40+ Minutes with no Nova on the team, and soon even with Nova maybe thanks to the upcoming nerf.

Definitely agree with you here. Thank you for understanding my point about the one trick pony issue.

I guess it's either the ability to overspecialize and/or that some abilities suffer no negative effects from certain corrupt mods.

How many dang times do the Devs need to say, live in person and or on the forums:

"We want you to feel powerful"

"We want it to be over the top"

"We want it to be flashy"

"We want you to feel like you've earned it by putting time in"

"We dont want to focus and wont focus on PvP mechanics in depth"

Holy RNGesus, its not that [DE] is unreceptive; it's the dense, stubborn, entitled and sometimes elitist players  Arm Chair Quarterbacks.

Radial Disarm creates new gameplay. Enemies need to be better at melee and less derpy. The skill itself is fine and the game is better and more interesting for having it IMO.

Invisibility, Smoke Screen.

I'd rather see both fixed with A.I. changes where they try to shoot invisible enemies, or can tell your location if you use a loud gun, but if we have to nerf them then chop down their durations real, real hard, or make them not affected by power duration mods at all.

Definitely agree with this. I think this is the major issue right now - changing gameplay/enemy AI. Enemies being blinded or disarmed fail to adapt and end up not attacking you at their full potential but being able to change the combat definitely adds more to the game. Then the abilities that exploit this can be specialized using corrupt mods without suffering negative effects.

Invisibility, Smoke Screen.

Invisibility, yes. Boring, gameplay reducing perma invisibility. Smoke screen... I think the potential for people to USE IT like Invisibility needs to be removed. When used that way it's definitely in need of a nerf. But when used with short duration in conjunction with teleport, it's a hell of a lot of fun doing stuns and it's neither safe enough nor easy enough to need a nerf.

This I really agree with as well. I don't really like seeing identical or nearly identical abilities on multiple frames and being used in the same way. 

What do you think about changing Smoke Screen duration so that it affects the duration of the stun rather than the duration of being invisible?

Definitely agree with you here. Thank you for understanding my point about the one trick pony issue.

I guess it's either the ability to overspecialize and/or that some abilities suffer no negative effects from certain corrupt mods.

Please explain to me how nerfing already mediocre(with the exception of blessing) abilities into the dirt actually fixes that issue.  You want to talk about radial blind?  It's still a weaker Chaos. 

Shield polarize?  It's ONE JOB is to mess up corpus and keep her topped off slightly, because with its cast speed it's already unreliable as a support ability while under fire.  And if you aren't under fire, your shields will regen by themselves.

Radial disarm?  A duration is actually sensible.  With the change to bastile, the number of enemies effected sounds reasonable too.  Especially since the only ones that clump together in large enough groups to probably matter are infested, which it's already useless against.

Invis/smoke-screen? That seems to defeat the purpose of the ability, honestly.  Power multiplyer affected by strength seems like it isn't that big of a deal, but then again I don't play ash or loki.

Hysteria? No to the first part.  Never.  She can already do the second thing you listed. For the third, again, no.  Doesn't even make sense.  # 4.... eh, that's doable.  As long as the life-steal is buffed up a little bit so it's more than a rank 2 life strike. #5 is a no.  that would only exacerbate the issue of people staying in hysteria constantly.  #6 is a yes.

Energy Vamp? No comment, never tried trinity(despite my avatar, lol)

Listen all you creatures saying things like: Omg he left out Nova's m prime, rhinos stomp or [put spammable ulti here]

But since these has already been discussed in other threads ad infinitum he put's out other things that can be exploited to really cheap ways that are ludicrously effective.

If DE would nerf Rhino's stomp, nova's mprime etc, perhaps the next BIG thing would be a bunch of excaliburs running around relying entirely on radial blinding, shield polarizing mags in corpus defense missions etc etc.

Rather than completely nerfing the abilities the OP asks for a way to repurpose them, so that they require tactical thinking unlike any other. [put spammable aoe ulti here]

In short:

Infinite invincibility of any kind makes the game boring

Infinite stun leaving the enemy completely unable to fight back makes the game boring

Infinite healing and damaging at the same time makes the game boring

Simple simple banana apple pie.

Most of these issues could be worked out with some good AI rework. Enemies either need to be more tactical or really need to be more in your face. As for enemies in melee. We need something on a Big Daddy level of aggressive. Personally I would like to see the grineer with jetpacks behave like Assault Space Marines and see some enemies wielding Jat Kittags and Lectas. We don't need to turn this into 40k but some enemies with more options for mobility will be awesome. The new Hyenas are great, some smaller models with a little less firepower but the ability to close distance and provide some disruption or cc would help the corpus out a lot.

Many of you will hate me for making this thread....

Yes, Because you're asking to nerf all Crowd control and defensive abilities to make the game "harder". For yourself.

Did it ever occur to you that there are people who can't play in teams with other people, let alone play well?

Have you ever decided to go past 35 minutes in to a T3 survival? Ever seen a level 101 corrupted crewman? Ever seen it take 3 clips of a brakk to the face?

Are you aware that because of the combination of harder enemy units and the grindfest new players have to go through just to get new weapons and mods, that there is a crisis among new players?

I doubt you have. I Highly doubt you have. Before you go around suggesting the game be harder, try challenging yourself.

If you want the enemy to kill you so badly, go to Cassini, Saturn and stay in for 30 minutes with nothing but a rank 0 weapon of your choice. Tell the game-breakingly over powered Napalm units I said hello for me.

Listen all you creatures saying things like: Omg he left out Nova's m prime, rhinos stomp or [put spammable ulti here]

But since these has already been discussed in other threads ad infinitum he put's out other things that can be exploited to really cheap ways that are ludicrously effective.

If DE would nerf Rhino's stomp, nova's mprime etc, perhaps the next BIG thing would be a bunch of excaliburs running around relying entirely on radial blinding, shield polarizing mags in corpus defense missions etc etc.

Rather than completely nerfing the abilities the OP asks for a way to repurpose them, so that they require tactical thinking unlike any other. [put spammable aoe ulti here]

In short:

Infinite invincibility of any kind makes the game boring

Infinite stun leaving the enemy completely unable to fight back makes the game boring

Infinite healing and damaging at the same time makes the game boring

Simple simple banana apple pie.

Someone understands me! Thank you!

You want to talk about radial blind?  It's still a weaker Chaos. 

No major issue with Chaos because it cannot be used repeatedly. Putting duration on Chaos sometimes actually makes it a bit less effective as cc because you cannot recast it if even one lone chaotic enemy is still standing.

Chaotic enemies can still attack you/the pod if nearby.

Chaos takes 75 energy to cast (but not really an issue since Chaos cannot be cast repeatedly, I suppose).

Radial Blind can be cast repeatedly. All enemies stay still for several seconds with bonus melee damage dealt against them.

Blind enemies cannot damage you unless it's a toxic ancient/fusion MOA/corrupted MOA. Or a shockwave MOA stomp but that does minimal damage.

Radial Blind takes 50 energy to cast.

Shield polarize?  It's ONE JOB is to mess up corpus and keep her topped off slightly, because with its cast speed it's already unreliable as a support ability while under fire.  And if you aren't under fire, your shields will regen by themselves.

Blocking with melee weapon works surprisingly well against corpus lasers for recharging shield or buying time for energy siphon. Just strafe and block and you can recharge shield while only using stamina as long as lasers are coming in from one general direction. Even better with Shade's Ghost.

Shield Polarize completely recharges shields (if your sentinel Guardian hasn't already) when you are surrounded.

But we're getting off topic here.

My idea was that Shield Polarize's damage aspect performs too well against corpus regardless of corpus level and does nothing against grineer/infested regardless of their levels. It is relegated to a shield recharge ability against them. I have changed my proposed Shield Polarize though so do check it out again if you please.

Invis/smoke-screen? That seems to defeat the purpose of the ability, honestly.

My idea was that Invisibility/Smoke Screen was more of a stealth/surprise attack ability. It allows Loki/Ash to be harder to detect but not impossible to detect (similar to Banshee's Silence). The current Invisibility/Smoke Screen makes Loki/Ash impossible to detect and the abilities can be activated continuously throughout the whole game with one Energy Siphon.

But you gave me an idea: new enemy leader that can cast Sonar to reveal invisible players.

Dont nerf any of the abilities mentioned by OP. Instead, buff them in the following way:

Radial Blind should turn Excalibur invulnerable for some seconds (affected by duration mods).

Radial Disarm should have its range doubled.

Invisibility and Smoke Screen should have its duration doubled. Ash smoke should have double the current range, and the smoke should have a duration of some seconds before dissipates.

Hysteria should let Valkyr use its current melee weapon. Anyway, I dumped my Valkyr so I dont care for her.

Energy Vampire should have double the range and the target have ten times more health (like in Well of Life) so that he wont be killed before it expires. Also it should not do damage to target.

Blessing should have double the duration for invulnerability.

Shield Polarize should have double the range.

Also double the range of Molecular Prime.

Buff everything and nerf this thread.

Edited by Wolfstorm18

The Ash and Loki nerfs are ridiculous. That and their 4ths are the only things they have going for them. Ash has a powerful 4th but it does have a high cost and it is too slow.

What's even more ridiculous is that you want to remove the melee boost if enemies are in alert, you realise that 90% of the time your teammates are going to cause an alert, you realise Ash and Loki become useless in Survival missions right?

Also you DO shoot in your last known location, I've tried. They didn't used to but now they do. I've been downed several times trying to get a teammate up or from being shot and my last known location.

Let me tell you one thing... Alright. The mods you suggest that make these skills overpowered are focused primiarily so you can be caster, you don't have to use them you know?

If you focus on all these mods, you will miss out on speed, health, shield, stamina or any other survival mods. You are crafting your warframe to be a caster, meaning, strong attack- weak defence. What you want is to invalidate a build type because it works. So long as there is a drawback, the build is not overpowered and I see a lot of these heavy casters die in 3-4 hits at high levels, and I'm just chilling there with my moderate damage yet surviving.

The final straw is that Nova isn't even on the list, are you serious?