The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Later, That Very Same Bee...

Chrysalis

Look up in the sky. It's a bird, it's a plane...it IS a plane, and the plane is carrying...actually it's just me. (blatant reference link below) Now, before anyone complains, I am fully well aware that I am a member with more than zero posts, and am only NOW getting around to making an introduction thread. Shame on me. Anyway, some of you may know me, and many more of you most certainly do not. Let's fix that.

I'm under a faint impression that many moons ago, I made an introduction thread. In fact, I've made quite a few threads in various sections, and all of them are mysteriously missing. In any case, I'm Chrysalis. I play anything and everything. More than anything, however, you'll find me playing Asian-origin MMOs, or any game still in Alpha/Beta. Warframe has been my favorite shooter since I first played, although you'll find my current playtime to be lacking (more on that later). Still, I've been around since three days after U5 (prior to 5.3) and have seriously enjoyed every minute of this game. From the fluid nature of the gameplay, to the connection to the developers and the community, DE has produced an environment of which I can be proud to be a part. Now, with 2.0 releases becoming common fare, things keep looking brighter and brighter. Since the game has had so much time to develop, I thought I'd throw around a little perspective from someone who has been around for a major portion.

I always keep up on beta news, and had heard about a game called "Warframe" even prior to the sign-ups opening. At the time, there was no concrete information, only a few images (one being of the frame now known as Loki). Later, there was a short video, and a tiny bit of news. I still remember how strange the game concept seemed at the time. "Alien space ninjas," I had thought, "who would even come up with such a theme?" Then, the fun really started on June 26, 2012. That was the day I registered for the beta, and I remember it fondly. As part of an already existing clan for another game, I had convinced my friends to look into Warframe, and sign up. We all registered, and impatiently awaited our invitations. Those finally arrived on December 21, 2012, and enjoyment commenced. It was a strange, quirky TPS, with many features unlike any game of the genre. Over the next seven patches, this experience was continually enhanced with new items, new gameplay mechanics, and new systems being put into place. Roughly a month after I had begun playing, our now taken-for-granted wallrunning was added, bring an entirely new level of joy to the game. After this, updates really began to take off, being released left and right. Soon after, Warframe entered open beta, ushering in a new era of gameplay based around the reinvented Mod system. Update 7 and its patches marked substantial additions to content and gameplay, turning "great" into "overwhelmingly impressive." It was all fun and games. Seriously, if you joined after open beta, you can't believe how crazy it has been.

Then, it happened. Update 7.11 was released, adding the optional reset. I took it, and have come to regret that decision. Don't get me wrong, nothing changed in terms of the actual fun of the game, but suddenly I was thrust into the world of new players, scrounging for materials and praying for mod cards. That's right, newbies, I KNOW YOUR PAIN! I'll be honest, to this day, I've yet to recover from that loss. Because of this, my playtime is down substantially; it can be a hard task, beating your head against the challenge wall all day, when you used to be able to shred anything foolish enough to walk into your reticle. I do still come around for major updates, events, and lately...purely for fun. In fact, with the addition Dark Sectors, I've returned to Warframe as my full-time F2P choice. I've put in more play time in the last two weeks than I did in the entire time since I took the reset. So, what's the takeaway? This game is a real pain for new players, extremely rewarding for veterans (even if RNG is a spiteful thing), and is great fun through and through.

The short story here is that Warframe is, was, and likely will always be an amazing game. DE seems to have mastered the balance of catering to the players, without completely destroying their own sense of flair. They respond well to reasonable suggestions, and release both bug fixes and balance changes in an appropriate fashion. Not only that, but in my past experience, they also handle player support VERY well (thanks again, DEWill, even if it was 16 months ago). The fact of the matter is that you don't see this kind of connection in the generic AAA world. So, kudos to all of you at Digital Extremes; thanks for the memories, from yesterday, today, tomorrow, and as many more years as there can be. To all of you players reading this, good luck out there, and may the RNG be ever in your favor.

Thanks for reading! Oh...you're still here waiting for that link I promised at the beginning? Fine, here you go: 

Welcome, Chrysalis! Even though you've been here longer than I have.

At any rate, good to know a veteran is back! It's really quite refreshing to look back once in a while and see hiw far Warframe has come. I still love it as much as the first time I picked up a Loki and a Braton.

Good fun. May DE and Warframe's days be full and long, with many great things to come.

You as well, of course. A toast, to the future, and all Tenno.