The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Great News For Old-School Pc Gamers:

zombisa

So guys I was on IGN today and I saw this:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/08/epic-games-reveals-free-to-play-unreal-tournament

Looks like the king is coming back! :)

I remember when I was a kid, my parents bought me a new computer, a Pentium (can't remember which one though) and the first 2 games i got were Quake 3 Arena and UT99. I played Quake first and then dropped it once i started to play UT99 and I have been playing since since. Today I still have UT99 GOTY and UT3 (also  I still play C&C Generals Zero Hour + Shockwave mode) instaled on my PC and play them from time to time.

This game meant a lot to me when I was a kid so I thought to share the news here to see if someone else had good times with UT. I know DE did, they worked with Epic Games on some UT titles (or just one title, please forgive my lack of knowledge).

I'm curious, do you guys still play UT and what are your thoughts on the new UT that will be free and made with the community?

I personally like the fact that they are supporting young designers and programmers and that they will be working closely with the players.

Bonus questions if someone from DE notices this thread:

How do you guys feel about this? Do you play UT from time to time and will you play this game? How was it making the game with them? And something Warframe related... Have you thought about weapons that have alt fire? I know we wont get something like a shock rifle (damn I would like to do a shock combo in Warframe :D ) but weapons that have 2 types of attacks are fun. :)

P.S. Some trivia: Drakgoon is made to resemble the Flak Cannon from UT :)
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100705200029/unreal/en/images/9/94/Flak_cannon.jpg

Cheers and have a nice day people!

DE worked with almost all except the latest one out I think. Thanks for the heads up, I remember the serious sam, quake and UT series as a kid so this looks really good to me. Thank you.

EDIT: At the moment they sound like they are setting up a cash cow but hopefully it will change in time.

Edited by Postal_pat

DE worked with almost all except the latest one out I think. Thanks for the heads up, I remember the serious sam, quake and UT series as a kid so this looks really good to me. Thank you.

EDIT: At the moment they sound like they are setting up a cash cow but hopefully it will change in time.

Woah, 3 UT games, didn't know that. And Serious Sam, boy did I own that game. I played most from that series, except the side scroll one :D

Not sure about the cash grabs... UT's focus was deathmatch and CTF, maybe they'll sell ad space in the maps or cosmetics to make money. And the cost of making the game shouldn't be too high with the community helping out so my best guess is it won't be a cash grab.

Can't wait to roll UE4 on my 4 year old pc :)

It seems that it will be hard to tell if it will be mostly free until the actual launch. It all depends on whether the community wants to earn money for their work, and that their work is good enough to warrant it being necessary to buy to get the best experience.