The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

For Your Consideration: Solar Roadways

Hyperion5182

A lot of topics on this forum are generally very fun in nature. I take part in them often enough to know this.

But this is not warframe related and its quite serious so i hope that tone stays in this thread.

I come here today on behalf of an organziation that has gotten my attention and respect. They've developed something with world changing potential and i know people hear that often but these guys can back it up in every possible way.

What if your road was a solar panel? I mean it. What if your road could be a solar panel?

You're probably thinking of all the maintenance problems with it based off the normal solar panels you've already seen right? Well these guys developed a surface that is not only solar conductive but is able to withstand the heaviest of loads. One hundred and twenty five TONS. Two hundred and fifty THOUSAND lbs. The things they've put in to these road panels already is down right amazing. 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways#home

1. LED Lighting. No need to paint these roads LED lights will provide for the standard on the road markers. You wont be missing these things at night.

2. Road heating: Say goodbye to ice and snow.

They're working on a number of other issues but the power generation levels for something like this are nothing short of astonishing imagine a country covered in these panels. The entire might of the sun being channeled onto our roads. Its breathtaking when you think about it.

They've done the small scale tests and they're ready to start the large ones. The tests that'll determine what they need to do to make this a permanent and strong alternative to asphalt. The funding they've recieved so far is anemic at best. And i come here hoping you guys will be able to fund at least some of this or pass this on to people who will be able to fund it.

This project WILL change the world. If we help it along. Thanks for looking at this. 

• Solar Roadways has received two phases of funding from the U.S. Federal Highway Administration for research and development of a paving system that will pay for itself over its lifespan. We are about to wrap up our Phase II contract (to build a prototype parking lot) and now need to raise funding for production. 

If the US funded its research then decided it shouldn't get money for production then they probably had a good reason. They also don't have price per hexagon which makes me feel like its really expensive. "But it pays for itself!" Sure after several years (assuming they last that long) and after you've pumped tons of money in to get it started.

Also think about some of the chemical used in solar cells. Now imagine those able to leak out into the ground, because they are literally on the ground.

Now may if it some kind of "solar-rail" system...

Edited by immolator1001

• Solar Roadways has received two phases of funding from the U.S. Federal Highway Administration for research and development of a paving system that will pay for itself over its lifespan. We are about to wrap up our Phase II contract (to build a prototype parking lot) and now need to raise funding for production. 

If the US funded its research then decided it shouldn't get money for production then they probably had a good reason. They also don't have price per hexagon which makes me feel like its really expensive. "But it pays for itself!" Sure after several years (assuming they last that long) and after you've pumped tons of money in to get it started.

Also think about some of the chemical used in solar cells. Now imagine those able to leak out into the ground, because they are literally on the ground.

Now may if it some kind of "solar-rail" system...

It hasnt gotten the funding because it didn't bother going for the funding. These guys are using a combination of government and private funds to help their efforts. They do not want to be beholden to government funding rules. If it wont break under 125 tons of constant pressure the odds of it leaking are low. But that's part of why they're looking to do this test man and why they're looking for funding for it. =)

They also don't have price per hexagon which makes me feel like its really expensive. "But it pays for itself!" Sure after several years (assuming they last that long) and after you've pumped tons of money in to get it started.

just a quick note, don't dismiss an "it pays for itself" that does so eventually, that hurts the planet more than helping it, thinking long term is important. of course, doubting key elements like toxic leakage like you did is perfectly fine and dandy

i myself am worried about the grip in these things, asphalt is great for our tires, and i wonder how this will behave with rain.

Edited by (PS4)CrimsonShinku

It hasnt gotten the funding because it didn't bother going for the funding. These guys are using a combination of government and private funds to help their efforts. They do not want to be beholden to government funding rules. If it wont break under 125 tons of constant pressure the odds of it leaking are low. But that's part of why they're looking to do this test man and why they're looking for funding for it. =)

It doesn't want to hold to government rules? They plan on covering every street it better follow the governments rules. And not breaking under pressure isn't the same as surviving constant stress for years.

They also don't have price per hexagon which makes me feel like its really expensive. "But it pays for itself!" Sure after several years (assuming they last that long) and after you've pumped tons of money in to get it started.

just a quick note, don't dismiss an "it pays for itself" that does so eventually, that hurts the planet more than helping it, thinking long term is important. of course, doubting key elements like toxic leakage like you did is perfectly fine and dandy

i myself am worried about the grip in these things, asphalt is great for our tires, and i wonder how this will behave with rain.

They need to pay for themselves quickly, since things like potholes (caused by water seeping into the cracks and freezing) and wear and tear they will need to last a long time.

For grip they had a section talking about it so it should be alright, so long as it doesn't get worn down.