Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Elegant Fix For Power Creep Into The Forseeable Future.

TheFatalFrame

There are plenty of posts on how Tenno power is scaling out of hand to which I'm sure a large number of you agree to varying extents.

Remember when we all started out playing Warframe?

That atmosphere of fear of being boxed into a room filled with Grineer troops, hiding behind some crates knowing that our bullets are about as lethal to our enemies as their bullets were to us.

Now our guns have bullets that overkill many times over. Nothing is scary when it dies when we breathe on it...

*lightbulb moment*

What if we gave everyone the option of a self imposed reduction in output damage (similar to a gustrag bolt but in varying degrees... i.e. x2, x3, x4 less damage dealt and so on).

This can be implemented in as Rank badge (e.g. private, captain, sergeant etc) underneath the event badge on the arm of your Warframe. This will show other players in your current game that you are a bad &#! that can take a hit to your damage.

Aside for the aesthetic prestige, you can add some incentive to doing so via...

granting extra exp / credits,

maybe it boosts the amount of a random resource obtained that you collected during the mission,

maybe it raises the chance of an encounter with stalker/G3/Zanuka?

maybe it gives a chance to reroll a end of mission item drop? (handy for those void missions / farming Warframes)

What does everyone think?

Real ninjas perma-use extinguished keys.

I did this once, and wondered why my 8-forma Ogris didn't one shot me.

But +1 to OP, pretty cool ideas that could be fleshed out into awesome. 

Edited by Jubis

I see this either being barely used or players simply clamoring for more powerful weapons to offset the damage reduction making the powercreep worse.
There is no better fix except to re-balance the weapons every now and again. Becasue if the devs don't add new unique weapons and mechanics periodically players will get bored of the ones they have but it will invariably make older weapons seem weak or lacking.

What if we gave everyone the option of a self imposed reduction in output damage (similar to a gustrag bolt but in varying degrees... i.e. x2, x3, x4 less damage dealt and so on).

I agree with the gist of this topic(power creep is too much in this game) but your proposed solution is hardly a solution to it. In the end, during these kinds of self-imposed reduction, you'd still be using your BiS gear over anything else AND you'd end up avoiding those weapons on the bottom of the power creep ladder.

That said, this idea is a good one and needs to be implemented to a certain degree with certain tweaks and mechanics but it does not address the main issue of weapon power creep in itself.

There will always been a certain degree of power creep for more powerful guns (such is the nature of making some money off a game by providing people access to cool new weapons that do more damage for some profit).

The part of power creep that I feel is the most detrimental is when you start feeling the need to tune the enemies up in response.

Buffed baddies destroy all the effort of balancing done prior to the change and is hard to do well (not in the least because it becomes exponentially harder to do as you release more and more weapons).

Wouldn't it be nice if the good old lato can share a game with a super modded boltor prime.

Personally, I don't think Warframe HP/armor are currently much of an issue. If I didn't have my 1 bullet 1 kill uber rifle, the enemies still pack a pretty decent punch.

you say that but remember Armor brokage Damage 2.0? where you couldn't kill anything past level 15-20 without dying to their guns. So, essentially nothing actually worked against grineer especially. Resistances were so broken you want something like that implemented again?

I remember those good old days :D The bullet sponging was upsetting but at the same time you also had a certain level of respect for your enemies.

Shooting dead things that dont get a chance to shoot back becomes tedious and boring after a while.

It can currently, just don't expect anywhere near the same output (and it shouldn't be anywhere near the same output). Things are in tiers for a reason, bringing everything down to where they pretty much do the same thing, not good.

I'm all for damage diversity and tiers and I agree with you completely that everything shouldnt be vanilla. Rebalancing every gun currently released will always tend towards making things vanilla (for example is there much meaningful difference between aklex, akmagnus and akvasto?).

My thinking is that my proposal will give you an opportunity to run missions like mercury with full gear while still enjoying that feeling of threat from enemies.

I think what I am suggesting a not so complicated change from a code perspective. It will give that atmosphere of just picking up the game for the first time back to players that crave it without forcing impolitely it on people that don't care for it. Also it will benefit people that play with beginners, you seamlessly blend into lower level games without leaving them to run through missinos in the dust surrounded by fresh corpses.

The compensated xp / gold or whatever makes up for the fact that you could have just sped through 2 or 3 missions in the time it took you to play through one tough mission with a heavy handicap.

End result? One slightly more engaging mission vs a handful of the missions in their present state

Edited by TheFatalFrame

i cleared Transistor (excellent game btw) recently, i liked the concept, a lot. something that does not influence the game, but yourself, so you could perfectly play with nubs and when they are watering the lilies, you have a super hard time, and nobody notices, its rather elegant yes, but this system has to be EXTREMELY  HEAVILY WORKED to be enjoyable :)

anyway, +1