The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Framerate Drop When Starting, Affects All My Other Games In Steam Library

Peachy_Peaches

I've never had a real issue with Warframe until today. I started it up and there was a definite, visible issue with the game. I messed with the video setting a bit, but no luck. I tried restarting the game, no luck. I also tried playing another game, so I chose Cave Story for the heck of it, and it too had a massive frame rate drop. I restarted Steam, nothing changed. It was only after I restarted my computer things went back to normal, or so I thought. I first checked Cave Story and it seemed to run fine, but when I started Warframe, it all happened again. Something about Warframe is messing with my graphic card.

My graphic card is an internal one, Intel® HD Graphics 4600. I noticed some of the drivers aren't fully updated, but I doubt that's the case, however I did try and update them, but it keeps failing to update it without a clear warning as to why. It unzips all of the files properly until the end, and the warning box says: "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer." I downloaded these files from the intel website itself, which runs a diagnostic through your computer to check which drivers need updating. I can't find anything online to help me, but again, this I believe is not the issue. I just thought I would mention it.

Has anyone experienced similar cases to this, where Warframe would cripple your video card? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Are you by chance using Steam's new In-home Streaming feature? I only ask because it was added around the time you began having issues, and having accidentally streamed myself, I noticed a difference in performance.

You may be having issues with your driver update because your manufacturer installed a custom driver on the system, that won't play nice with the 'stock' Intel drivers. You might want to try the computer manufacturer's website in this case and use their driver (I'm guessing it's a Dell?). Even this might not stop your current issue with Warframe though, but it will at least rule out drivers as the cause.

I'm also very curious to know if ALL games have trouble for you when this happens, or just games launched through Steam.

Edited by Xander

I noticed the steam streaming software requires two identical clients (and client accounts) operating synchronously. The addition of the feature to the his original client could be causing him accidentally stream.

Also, if you have any Nvidia related software, specifically the Nvidia experience 2.0, you could have initiated a involuntary stream or game-play record.

This might sound silly, but is anything downloading in the background like windows updates?

As far as your driver package having issues downloading; is there a 32bit container and a 64bit container?

I have checked in my steam config and in home streaming was activated by default, so it may be the cause

update: yeah in my case that was the problem, unchecked and everything is running ok.

Edited by EX-Zanki

Are you by chance using Steam's new In-home Streaming feature? I only ask because it was added around the time you began having issues, and having accidentally streamed myself, I noticed a difference in performance.

You may be having issues with your driver update because your manufacturer installed a custom driver on the system, that won't play nice with the 'stock' Intel drivers. You might want to try the computer manufacturer's website in this case and use their driver (I'm guessing it's a Dell?). Even this might not stop your current issue with Warframe though, but it will at least rule out drivers as the cause.

I'm also very curious to know if ALL games have trouble for you when this happens, or just games launched through Steam.

The In-Home Stream option was already on (which I didn't turn on to my knowledge), but I turned it off (or so I think). I went to Steam > Settings > In-Home Streaming, and disabled it. If there's more to it than that, please inform me because I still run games at 20 frames a second or less.

I think that now my drivers are the real issue, because I did what you said and tried other non-steam games on my computer. I played Dead Space using Origin and it ran poorly, and also ran Guild wars 2 and it ran poorly. I played a few other games besides Warframe and Cave Story, such as Braid, Skullgirls and TF2, and all had similar issues. However, I did manage run Warframe for a few solid minutes at 30+ frame after scanning for viruses and deleting some small malware found on my computer. But alas, before I could even enter into my dojo it went back to a grinding 15 fps from a solid 38fps.

Well I tried updating my drivers. I went to Intel's site first, they scanned my computer and found my driver wasn't updated (like mentioned above). I downloaded the .exe file and after it was unpacked and nearly finished, I get this message: http://i.imgur.com/X1QuHKj.png Well okay, I'll go to HP's website (btw, my computer is an HP Envy 700-214 Desktop Computer running Windows 8.1 in a 64-bit Architecture) and I found two intel driver updates. Both looked the exact same and had the exact same descriptions, except one was 10mb larger than the other to download. Well I downloaded the first one and received this message: http://i.imgur.com/FudL6aM.png Then I tired downloading the second one and received this message: http://i.imgur.com/OqFdG0y.png . I made a forum submission two days ago on intel's forums and have had no real help in this issue. And that forum can be found here: https://communities.intel.com/thread/51942

So at this point, I'm almost about to pull my hair out. A day before submitting this post I was playing Warframe with no flaws whatsoever. And strangely enough I remembered that when I got this computer back in February, I checked the drivers and noticed the same errors, but thought nothing of it since I could play steam games with no issues involved. I'm not sure where exactly to point a finger at to blame, whether it be HP, Intel, Steam, or even Digital Extremes. I really don't want to burn $300 to buy a better video card, which then I'd have to buy a larger power supply too, bringing it up to said price.

Thanks for helping and I hope this narrows down the issue with my situation as well as other gamer's situations.

I noticed the steam streaming software requires two identical clients (and client accounts) operating synchronously. The addition of the feature to the his original client could be causing him accidentally stream.

Also, if you have any Nvidia related software, specifically the Nvidia experience 2.0, you could have initiated a involuntary stream or game-play record.

This might sound silly, but is anything downloading in the background like windows updates?

As far as your driver package having issues downloading; is there a 32bit container and a 64bit container?

I haven't been downloading anything while Warframe is playing. I have a fairly fast internet connection as well.

Could you explain the 32bit/64bit containers? Are you talking about the different driver options to choose from to download? From the HP website, there's only one option and that's for 64bit Archs. On Intel's website, they have multiple options for both 32 bit and 64 bit for both Windows 8 and 8.1. Do you think I should try downloading and trying the 32 bit driver updates? Will that in turn mess up my computer in any way?

Thanks for the help.

Hopefully HP will get back to you, as I'm inclined to believe this is an issue with your Drivers, as you said it's affecting other games. They'll be better able to walk you through updating your drivers.

One longshot though; the error 9996 can indicate that you have insufficient hard drive space to complete the installation. Do you happen to be low on hard drive space? There's a chance that your games are filling up the last of your available capacity with temp files which is causing your computer to suffer, although I admit a game like Cave Story shouldn't be hogging much hard drive space during runtime.

Hopefully HP will get back to you, as I'm inclined to believe this is an issue with your Drivers, as you said it's affecting other games. They'll be better able to walk you through updating your drivers.

One longshot though; the error 9996 can indicate that you have insufficient hard drive space to complete the installation. Do you happen to be low on hard drive space? There's a chance that your games are filling up the last of your available capacity with temp files which is causing your computer to suffer, although I admit a game like Cave Story shouldn't be hogging much hard drive space during runtime.

I don't believe my games are taking up the rest of my space. I have 2tb of space and have only 500gb of space used. Unless there's a memory leak of some kind, or some other leak in my hard drive slowing things up, then it has to deal with only the drivers.

And speaking of which, a friendly person from Intel told me to manually install the driver update, and tried doing so. However I wasn't able to, and I don't believe you can help me out with this, but I'd like to share it. This is what I wrote in reply to her today:

"I tried manually installing it but it tells me that the drivers are already updated when that's clearly not the case. My driver version is 10.18.10.3379 and the update date is 12/20/2013. The latest drivers for the exact same graphics card is 15.33.18.64.3496 and the update date is 03/11/2014, yet it's telling me that I have the latest drivers installed. How can that be?

Is there a way to uninstall it, and in VGA mode to install the new drivers? Can it be done without buying a new graphics card to put in in the mean time?"

UPDATE:

Everything is working now, it was a driver error. I had to manually install and replace a certain component in the driver through a number of steps given to me by another forum member.

Thanks for all the help! If any other members have the same issue and find this thread, here's a link to the forum post that answered my question: https://communities.intel.com/thread/51942
Edited by Peachy_Peaches