Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pain - Valkyr's Awakening Fan Fiction

Bleepsy

This started off as being a much shorter story but I didnt keep track of exactly how much I was writing and it grew a lot larger than expected. I tried to tell a story from the viewpoint of a newly awakened Valkyr so I attempted to make the writing style reflect the sporadic, confused thoughts that one would expect. Anyway, hope you enjoy.

Pain. I’m trapped in it. Submerged in it. An ocean of it surrounding me. The shackles holding me down as the waves crash against my weakening mind. The hands. Mechanical hands. They do things I don’t understand, stir the waters of the pain. I’m trapped, cold and something else. A burning light deep within the abyss of my consciousness. Rage. Bright and hot. Dark and cold. It is a stranger to me but yet it feels like my oldest friend. My worst enemy. It whispers and shouts. It is everything. Every fibre of my being is infused with it. Rage is the only thing left now.

Then the voice comes. It is smooth and it confuses me. I had forgotten calm. The voice tells me not to be afraid. It calls me Tenno. The word resonates in the deep recesses of my thought, though I have long since forgotten its meaning. I want the voice to go. It is easier to lie here, to bask in the pain and let nothing else matter. I realise that the simplicity of my being is fading. My thoughts are returning and with them are other things. They make no sense, they are not fury. They are honour and duty and loyalty and a myriad of various other foolish notions and yet my mind clings to them. Ensnares them in such a way that even I cannot release them. It holds them desperately and no matter how much I try the grip on them remains stubbornly fixed. I feel as though I am no longer in control of my own mind.

The shackles release. The pain remains and I realise there is no ocean. The ocean is me. My body is pain. This pain will never leave for it is ingrained into my body by the hateful bindings. Even if the bindings were to be removed this is pain that cannot be undone. The memory of it would be as torturous as the sensation. It is my burden. I see the hateful mechanical hands and grab at them tearing them apart. Sparks. No blood. No meat. Sparks. Sparks and wiring. I need to rip flesh. Machines have no minds. I must find the controller of the hands. They will pay. I will tear them apart. The hatred and rage burn brightly together, like lovers. I hear alarms and the voice. Talking, talking. I don’t need to listen.

I find prey. A lash stretches from my arm and tears his torso apart from his legs. I shudder in ecstasy as the blood splatters against me. The warmth of the fresh kill like a warm sunset. It invigorates me. I keep going, every enemy causing another surge of beautiful feeling. I lose myself in the joy of bloodshed.

I don’t know how much time passes but I observe my body is covered with gore. I see a head on the ground and crush it underfoot. The crunch sound and the feeling of the sudden give of bone sending a sharp shiver up my spine. It feels amazing. I hear a sound and the pain intensifies. I know nothing.

I wake up. There is a figure before me. The being is unlike me but it shares disgraceful similarities. It is feeble but moves as if it has power. It has a garment of blue and a strange mechanism around its neck. A machine prowls around its legs. I try to get up but the hole in my torso makes it difficult. The hateful creature moves closer and then looks up, as if in alarm and makes a hasty gesture. The machine leaves my vision, following the creatures command. The controller leans in and speaks. I do not care to listen. He leans in a bit more. Just enough. I send out my lash and it pierces his chest. I grab it by its clothing and slam it to the ground as the lash pulls it in. I slam my fist into its face. Again. Again. Again. The skull beneath the flesh begins to give in. The jaw breaks. I keep hitting. The creature is making a detestable mewling sound. I intend to silence it. Then, a flash.

Pain. It submerges me yet again. After what feels like an eternity the pain begins to fade. The darkness clouding my vision melts away and I see the creature’s blood but no sign of the creature itself. It escaped me. My mind whirls with fury for a few seconds. Fury at my stolen vengeance. My unfulfilled vendetta. Then something else draws my attention. The machine has been destroyed. It lies in smouldering pieces on the ground. I do not remember doing that. Then I remember the beings words. “Your friends won’t save you.” This confuses me, I do not have friends. Then a figure comes into focus. It is tall and broad. Its armour is a dark blue shade and the ring on its head encircles the setting sun behind it. The figure offers a hand to me and I take it. That is when I remember the meaning of the word ‘Tenno’.