Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More Move/attack Variety

FaerellG

As a preface, when I was introduced to this game by my playgroup, I was told "it's like Ninja Gaiden, but multiplayer and with guns."

Ok great. I get the guns. It's a pretty straight forward shooter if you play it that way. But actually find 3rd person shooters to be frustrating because I do a lot of cover play and the perspective really screws with my aim. Empting rounds into the corner of the wall is kinda annoying.

Anyways, I pick up the melee stuff thinking "Ninja Gaiden." Now, you definitely have the starts of a robust melee combat system. But it feels very incomplete. Great jobs on the wall running and the slide/jump/flips BTW, but add unique attacks to all of them.

This is what you have in game thus far:

Standing still, we have our regular slash.

When we jump, we get the downward AoE shockwave

And when we charge up, we get a wide arc, horizontal slash.

When in slide/jumpkick mode, you come out with a horizontal.

Coup De Grace when an enemy is on the ground.

This can be expanded so far.

For instance, we can add Charge based attacks to all of those things above.

Start charging an attack while in Slide/Jumpkick.

Start charging an attack while jumping.

Go as far as to give different attack properties based on every movement property you can think of.

Moving, Crouching, Running should have a different attack too.

Heck, diffrentiate between a standing jump attack vs a moving/running jump attack. You know, keep the AoE shockwave for standing Jump attacks, while a moving/running jump attack does a line-slash in the direction you're moving.

You can even get into the detail that fighting games have. They nuance out everything. There's a different attack animation between Crouching, Standing, and Rising (attacking while in the transition animation going from Crouch to Standing).

Mix in the block button (I hardly use it). Maybe have some combos where the Block button doubles as a grab (I saw someone else mention using an enemy as a human shield). Have button combos. Attack-Block-Attack does something funky. Or maybe if you block an attack and press attack quickly enough after it, you perform some special counter move.

There's a ton of ideas if you just look at any sort of fighting game or 3rd person action game. The existing gameplay is pretty boring right now, but that's because you guys just launched beta and things aren't fleshed out yet. This game has serious potential for growth.

Yes!! Melee attacks variety is a must. More moves. Also more acrobatic moves, side jump flips like in JK2, JKA and 360 melee spin. Separate button for kick and the whole kick move set. Would be nice...

I feel that there is a huge amount of moves in GunZ the duel that could be used as a template for Warframe.

I will proceed to list a few examples:

Safe fall (viable solution against knockdown) - If you are struck with a stun attack, there is a way to prevent yourself from being paralyzed on the ground. When you are hit with a stun attack, you will be airborne for a few moments (both the sword and dagger attacks will put you in the air). While you are in the air, start hammering the space bar. This will cause you to do a flip in the air and land on your feet. Now you can quickly strike back against your attacker.

Wall hanging - [...] jump up to a wall and hold down the melee button. Your character will stab the wall and hang from it. Pressing the space bar will make your character jump away from the wall, but if you hold down the forward key while jumping, you will be able to jump vertically up the wall. You can then hold down the melee button again and hang once more. You can use the move to easily scale very tall walls and hide from enemies.

Dash - [...] Simply tap a movement key twice to dash in that direction. Dashing propels you forward a short distance but once you finish the dash, you can double-tap to dash again as many times as you want. The good thing is that you can dash both on the ground and in mid air, attacking at the same time.

Further (a lot more advanced) combinations and moves can be found at:

http://gunzwiki.wetp...ge/GunZ K-Style

http://gunzwiki.wetp...ge/GunZ E-Style

http://gunzwiki.wetp...ge/GunZ D-Style

Keep in mind that GunZ is a very unique TPS and a lot you will see read can be hardly translated at all for Warframe.

Never the less, if you are looking for a template for extremely mobile shooters, then i cant direct you at any better place than GunZ. Mobility in that game is off the charts.

Edited by Aerensiniac