Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Instead Of Energy, Maybe Cooldown Based Abilities?

Story4

So,hear me out. What if instead of energy based abilities we get cooldown based ones? I think it would add another level of thought instead of spamming everything all day long. Also you could get some interesting mods, like one with a probability to reduce the cooldown of the ability you cast by a percent or instantly (just an example), and instead of trinity's energy vampire you could have an ability that refresh's the target's abilities instantly (usefull in tight situations).

Just a thought, any opinions?

You're just trading one kind of spamming for another. Instead of the same ability multiple times, it'll be each ability once. I say let players choose how to use their resources.

Hmm i don't agree (you stalker) because if you choose to use your ult on a few useless mobs for example and it's on a 30 seconds cooldown and if alot of enemies suddenly appear then you will remain with no ult to use because you weren't carefull.

Let's say that Rhino going solo on infestation gets mobbed by some stalkers, he immediately goes into invulnerability mode and uses it but there were just a few, 2 or 3 and after he goes into the next room he sees alot of enemies but he won't be able to use his invuln anymore so he'll have to make up for it with his other abilities.

I'm just saying that it could work and make using more abilities instead of just spamming one more important.

It was just a thought anyway, input appreciated :).

Nah. It's more an issue of opportunity cost. If that same rhino runs around using iron skin, he won't have enough to do anything else. Flow, streamline, continuity? Opportunity cost. It's a system that gives the player full control over how effective he is.

Have you ever played a game with only cooldown's and no energy is needed? We would just get energy and cooldowns and no one would be happy.

Actually yes i have played. One example is Mass Effect and another one is Sacred. And in both cases i thought it was done pretty good.

Hmm, now thinking about it, maybe it would be better if it the cooldown(CD) was made in another way, like in these games. If you use let's say Rhino charge you get 5 seconds cooldown but you can't use any other abilities, similar if you use iron skin(the second ability) it has a 15 sec cooldown but you can't use anything else. Rhino is a bad example because you only need to use his second ability, but i hope that the ideea got through.

EDIT: Also the abilities should be more powerfull becuase for example is someone uses Ash he can use his ult, but then he can't use any abilities for 30 seconds, or he could choose to use his invisibility or something else with a low cooldown and then his ult.

Edited by Story4

To be honest i don't like having to pick up energy orbs to be able to use my abilities which take up 4 of my mod slots.

1) Energy regen should be default.

a) energy orbs could still be there, but less. > 1 energy recharge per second

b) energy orbs are completely removed > 3 energy recharge per second

or

2) Just a cooldown system with no energy. Enemy kills by guns or melee could reduce cooldowns. This could be motivating to get combo's and link ability play with gun and melee play.

power 10 > 5 second default cooldown

power 25 > 10 second default cooldown

power 35 > 15 second default cooldown

power 50 > 20 second default cooldown

Power 75 > 35 second default cooldown

power 100 > 45 second default cooldown

Spamming things is a bit too easy right now. And depending on pickups is not motivating to use abilities.

I would prefer the cooldown system. It has no energy pool. Using abilities would need just a bit more thought. And you can have a reduction on it by killing mobs by normal play.

Yes, and because of this we would get cooldown mods!! We would max it and we would be able to spam all epwe like!!!

Even more than players spam the Slash Dash ability!!! YAY

-.-

IMO if the abilites have a longer cooldown but are more powerfull it would be better. If excalibur dash was 15 sec CD and with cd mod 10 sec that could work i think. Also it excalibur uses his dash he shouldn't be able to use any of his other abilities for 15 seconds.

Yes, and because of this we would get cooldown mods!! We would max it and we would be able to spam all epwe like!!!

Even more than players spam the Slash Dash ability!!! YAY

-.-

What is wrong with you? We can already spam skills.

Edited by Sgt.Frog

Wow, I'm truly guessing that you guys haven't gotten past high waves in defense missions where not having a cooldown is a good thing.What about all them ancients and mobs surrounding you, your out of ammo cant melee kill all of em. Then you use 1 ultimate, it only scratches the ancients and half kills off the rest of the mob, then you have to wait 30sec or more to try and save the cryopod. No thnx, a cooldown wouldn't work out that much in my books. I think its implemented this way for a reason. And there are alot of solo players in the game aswell that sometimes relies on non cooldown powers and abilites when needed.

Edited by Kabeta

IMO if the abilites have a longer cooldown but are more powerfull it would be better. If excalibur dash was 15 sec CD and with cd mod 10 sec that could work i think. Also it excalibur uses his dash he shouldn't be able to use any of his other abilities for 15 seconds.

You're really going to wait 10 seconds for an ability that only costs 25 energy?

You're really going to wait 10 seconds for an ability that only costs 25 energy?

Wow, I'm truly guessing that you guys haven't gotten past high waves in defense missions where not having a cooldown is a good thing.What about all them ancients and mobs surrounding you, your out of ammo cant melee kill all of em. Then you use 1 ultimate, it only scratches the ancients and half kills off the rest of the mob, then you have to wait 30sec or more to try and save the cryopod. No thnx, a cooldown wouldn't work out that much in my books. I think its implemented this way for a reason. And there are alot of solo players in the game aswell that sometimes relies on non cooldown powers and abilites when needed.

If the abilities would be more powerfull e.g. you can kill all the ancient infested with Ash's ult or if you use Rhino they stay in stasis for 10 seconds or longer and deals more damage, yeah, i think it would be a much better system!

The problem is that this is a fast pace game ( i don't mead rushing but the gameplay is fast ) by adding cooldown can be challenging but it can lead to frustration and don't forget the higher level planet.

Cool downs, no thank you. And it would change to game mechanic for the anreds(ancient reds --> ancient disruptors). Instead of removing all energy it would have to increase the cool downs. But to make it similar to today's mechanic they would have to add cool down reduction drop items that resets cool downs to mimic the effect of picking up energy orbs.

I like it this way much better. Now I can pick the abilities I like and fully utilize them instead of picking as many abilities as possible to fully utilize the time it takes for my favourite ability to recover the cool down.

Edited by Frendh

Cool downs, no thank you. And it would change to game mechanic for the anreds(ancient reds --> ancient disruptors). Instead of removing all energy it would have to increase the cool downs. But to make it similar to today's mechanic they would have to add cool down reduction drop items that resets cool downs to mimic the effect of picking up energy orbs.

I like it this way much better. Now I can pick the abilities I like and fully utilize them instead of picking as many abilities as possible to fully utilize the time it takes for my favourite ability to recover the cool down.

I already think that disruptors are a bit OP. I mean as loosing my shields ain't enough, i also loose my energy so i have no way to escape after i come back up!

And why would you need to change the game mechanic? Isn't it enough to know you down, not be able to use any abilities for 5 seconds AND loose your shields? And if every ability would be more powerfull i really don't see the problem since you would be more carefull and only use it on the right circumstances instead of spamind slash dash for 1 or 2 mobs.

Edited by Story4

Energy works just fine. Using uber abilities should be constricted to situations where you just need to nuke everybody / buff squad.

Constrict the use of an ability to a situation?

No, that won't work, nor would it be desirable by pretty much anyone.

Mass Efrect is a notable example in TPS with CD system. The powers system is entirely different from balancing gunplay and powerplay to the actual design of each power. ME balances this pretty well with weight system (the heavier gear, the longer CD) and design powers to be less potent but spammable.

However, Warframe's design in power is entirely different. It allows player to choose whatever loadout and go into combat. Energy becomes a restriction instead of time. It allows a 'grander' power design than ME at the cost of less casting per mission. However, with multiple mods assist player in customizing energy consumtion, it allows greater freedom for players.

Both systems have their own benefit and drawback. Warframe decided to stick with energy system and it has been doing well so far. I see no reason to change it into something else.

Mass Efrect is a notable example in TPS with CD system. The powers system is entirely different from balancing gunplay and powerplay to the actual design of each power. ME balances this pretty well with weight system (the heavier gear, the longer CD) and design powers to be less potent but spammable.

However, Warframe's design in power is entirely different. It allows player to choose whatever loadout and go into combat. Energy becomes a restriction instead of time. It allows a 'grander' power design than ME at the cost of less casting per mission. However, with multiple mods assist player in customizing energy consumtion, it allows greater freedom for players.

Both systems have their own benefit and drawback. Warframe decided to stick with energy system and it has been doing well so far. I see no reason to change it into something else.

I can see a reason: abilitites having more impact, more decision making when using abilities. Abilities having more impact because if for ex slash dash has a 10 sec cd it will also be more powerfull and more decision making because you have to decide when to use your abilities like your ult especially when in team because for ex a rhino will only use his low CD 1st ability instead of using his invulnerability in order to keep it to save team-mates who are down instead of just spamming everything.