The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why 24 Hours Just To Rank Up?

Chronicrave

I like the 24 hour mandatory wait, what I don't like is when one grineer doesn't come out from behind a pillar and I fail because I stepped out of the circle to see what's up with that. If its going to test your skill with _____ then it should make sure that you can reasonable complete the challenge each time. Though it is a beta so im not &!$$ed just concerned about the future.

Not sure what test you're talking about, but I stepped out of the circle all the time to chase them around the pillars.

That's all very well and good, but when you take a driving test, do you get to specifiy "oh I'm only really good at driving in reverse, so can I do the entire test in reverse?" - or when applying to the defence force or the police force do you get to choose what parts of the application test to do?

I understand you have your own playstyle that's perfectly valid. But to earn the rank of ______ you have to demonstrate sufficient proficency with a sword, sidearm and long-gun. That is the way of the Tenno. The masters have specified that to be recognised as a _______ you have to be able to do ________.

Seriously, I get where you're coming from. But I can't really see how its a realistic stance to take.

This made me thinking, what if they made "mastery" points separate for each type of weapon (as well as the tests). But then again that'd be a massive rework on the system.

24 hours really isn't that long. If missing out on an in-game item for one day is really paining you, perhaps you need to re-examine your priorities. I understand what it is to really long for a new frame or a new weapon. But as anyone that has spent a week grinding for a new frame, then another three days for the materials, plus the manufacturing time to actually make the thing - the wait, is what makes the end product even more worthwhile.

Aside from that perspective, many online games these days have waiting periods, some in excess of just 24 hours. Perma-death and periodic character locks is becoming more commonplace, so I don't really see that Warframe is introducing some new horrific concept here.

What if there was a limited edition item, and he had to play the mission/rank up for it, and lost connection?

it changes things if there's a time constraint.

24 hours seems like a boring wait for the mission, 3 hours sounds more appropriate, it lets you practice while the mission format is still fresh in your head.

Just add a "practise" option, that lets you try the test an indefinite amount of times, but doesn't award you anything if you win. That way people know what to expect for the test, at least. You can practise how many times you want, but only get one chance on the "legit" test and if you fail you have to wait a day. That would be fair.

What if there was a limited edition item, and he had to play the mission/rank up for it, and lost connection?

24 hours seems like a boring wait for the mission, 3 hours sounds more appropriate, it lets you practice while the mission format is still fresh in your head.

Lets assume people see that they wont finish the mission and to bypass the 24h, they simply pull out the internet cable, disconnect, try again till it works......Really really bad idea... Its not the games problem if you have crappy internet....

Not sure what test you're talking about, but I stepped out of the circle all the time to chase them around the pillars.

It would seem that I'm not the only person who thought you had to stay within the circle ;)

Took me a couple of goes before I figured that one out lol. For anyone who doesn't frequent the forums (which I didn't at the time) the test can be very confusing. That said, it's not particularly hard, but there are several ways it can trip you up simply from a lack of information.

Personally I find the 24 hour thing a little annoying simply due to the fact my game time is restricted and has to be worked around work/ family commitments so 24 could easily become 36, 48 etc. Now this is of course my problem not DE's, but I doubt I'm the only player with time constraints, and the more things that appear to exist for the sole reason of annoying me the more likely I am to reconsider spending my time playing.

Perhaps all that is really needed is a rework of the introduction at the start of the test, or a written pop-up giving some important info about the test you are about to take.

Namely that it is a time trial, with several waves, and that you can maneuver as much as you like ( first test obviously). And, although I'm not sure about this, I think I may of failed the first time because I had a sentinel with me that might of taken a shot (not 100% certain of that, but I killed everything with a pistol within the time limit and still failed as far as I know). The lack of info added to the 24 hour cooldown is what I found particularly annoying.

I didn't know either, but this guy is saying he "failed because I stepped out of the circle," which is a different thing altogether.

True, but this highlights the point rather nicely. S/he thinks the failure was due to stepping out of the circle when in all likelihood it's because s/he didn't step out the circle. Lack of info strikes again.

Which makes me wonder if it's fair to penalize people for doing something they thought was correct simply because the devs haven't given you the information to make an informed decision? If a test is going to rely on trial and error to get right, and you are constantly having to second-guess the devs as to what you actually need to do, then that is not to my mind a good enough justification for a 24 hour penalty....it's simply too damn annoying.

Failing because I am not skilled enough is one thing, that I can live with (just have to try harder to get skilled) but failing due to a lack of understanding of the parameters is another thing altogether.

Edited by FluffyBunnySlippers

Its not the games problem when your hardware sucks....

Its your own.....

Yeah -_- right. I have control over what my service provider offers and everyone can afford to just buy a new modem. That also doesn't cover Warframe's constant instability.

Yeah -_- right. I have control over what my service provider offers and everyone can afford to just buy a new modem. That also doesn't cover Warframe's constant instability.

Yeah if you cant afford to buy a new modem or another provider, so be it. But its not the games purpose to solve all the peoples problems....

And Warframe isnt instable. And even if there is this one in a million warframe mistakes and your right inside of the rank mission and you cant wait till the next day, the ticket function is your friend. No need that the game solves the peoples internet/hardware problems

Edited by Venarge

I would strongly suggest that no-one actually sits in front of their computer for 24 hours, waiting for the opportunity to take the test again. That would be tedious.

Read a book, go for a walk, take a refreshing nap, or engage in a gentlemans game of billards.

As for the matter of not knowing what to do in the test itself, I think DE is bound to add some sort of tutorial or voice-over that should make things clearer. At least for the first one. Though lets not be too hasty to comdenm a game for having challenge. Afterall, we do live in an age where every new release seems to come with increasingly more condescending attitudes towards it's playerbase.

wiiRemoteWrist1.gif

Edited by 11.11.11

The game really wants you to feel more like a soilder...

Imagine in real life if a soilder was taking a test would, if he failed would they let him repeat it right thne? No, some soilders have to wait up to a month to do it again to train harder and be better..

The 24 hour wait is good for you to lvl up your weps and frame, and also gives you that much more credit when you do achieve the rank.

Just as the subject says, I basically would like to know why there is a 24 hour wait time to do the mission to rank up if you happen to fail. I can understand that you need to earn your rank - even though you have been leveling normally anyway - but when you fail the mission due to an issue that its not your fault as in a network problem or something like the server update issues they were having, you have to wait an entire day just to try it again. I mean if you are going to implement a penalty for failing the mission let it be like an hour wait at least....but a whole day? Why? whats the significance if anyone knows please reply. Thanks

I agree the S#&$ out of this guy!

A practice round with a chance to refit would be nice.

I remember this guy going for Mastery 6 and he had a Paris equipped. Not sure about his sidearm, but doing M6 with a Paris is masochistic.

That was me... And yeah, the Paris M6 run @(*()$ sucked.

I would really appreciate some Practice Rounds... Then i come to the test and i KNOW that at least i can make it.

Just let me practice in the meantime i'm waiting for another shot is all i'm asking.

Edited by ReiganCross

Just as the subject says, I basically would like to know why there is a 24 hour wait time to do the mission to rank up if you happen to fail. I can understand that you need to earn your rank - even though you have been leveling normally anyway - but when you fail the mission due to an issue that its not your fault as in a network problem or something like the server update issues they were having, you have to wait an entire day just to try it again. I mean if you are going to implement a penalty for failing the mission let it be like an hour wait at least....but a whole day? Why? whats the significance if anyone knows please reply. Thanks

I agree, the 24 hours is crazy much. But like everyone else is saying you can still level up your equips just not your level is all.

I agree, the 24 hours is crazy much. But like everyone else is saying you can still level up your equips just not your level is all.

Still, you can't get any Rythm you get when you practice a boss fight over and over until you finally get it. Y'know that feeling when you die again and again after a boss fight and then finally destroy him?... Well, that feeling is nice, but not when you have A WHOLE 24 HOURS between each try!!

It's fine with around a day cooldown, but please make it 20 hours or so, don't make it exactly 24 hours.

and please let us choose our weapon on the start of the test, or at least tell us what's inside the test before it starts.

I once took my bow to the rifle test and couldn't do anything inside the test until failed.

Edited by zaxthealien

I don't know if any of you guys have reached the rank 6 test, but 24 hours makes it kind of ridiculous. I didn't have any issues with the other tests, but you need near perfect reaction time for round 3 of this one, and it's easy to fail. A previous poster mentioned rhythm gained when repeating boss fights, and this test works similar to that.

I know there's nothing to really gain from tests above 4, but the 24 hours can result in people playing warframe the rest of the time and not getting mastery points.

No, you won't lose any Mastery Point since they're all counted from zero each time you log in based on the weapons you leveled on your profile... So if you level a S#&$ton of them between rank test you'll get the full experience eventually. It's just annoying and destructive, that is all.

This S#&$ is $&*&*#(%&. Anyone who says the 24 hour wait is "cool" is a fanboy making excuses, or a teenager with nothing else to do. I'm an adult, I work, I have limited time to play. It's sunday. I just took my level 1-2 exam and failed because my game crashed (surprise surprise) so now, I have to wait NOT 24 hours, but until tomorrow at 5 when I get home from work. Just get rid of that S#&$, make it an hour or something. 

I think 24 hours is reasonable, 12 hours is often too short as in 8 can be slept away. Adversity facing the player when they mess up should not be something we scorn but rather embrace.

Following that logic why not have no respawns at all, as you say then we can "embrace" adversity. Also lets make the items 10x harder to craft.